Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: GDT: Pirates vs Braves 5/22/17

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It was always a potential WC team with Freddie. The Adams pickup might still get us to 500.
    not might....will...not potential....likely....enough of this doubting and hedging

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Coppy says we are done trading players for prospects....so....unless it's a MLB hitter or SP...then no lol.
    I don't believe we are done with that though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    This team is better than given credit for. Without FF and KEMvP and markakis going 0-9, they hung 5 on Cole in 4.2

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This team is better than given credit for. Without FF and KEMvP and markakis going 0-9, they hung 5 on Cole in 4.2

I think their record accurately depicts their ability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think their record accurately depicts their ability.
    After a tough 2-6 start to the year in 3 different cities, this team is 17-16

ETA -- it's actually 17-17. Math tough on us miss boys
    Last edited by msstate7; 05-23-2017 at 07:25 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Liking this Rio kid more and more.

Too bad Snit already said Adonis will be back soon to displace Rio with his .626 OPS (.586 vs. the majority - right handers).
    In 5 games Ruiz is +0.1 in WAR. Garcia is -0.5 on the year. But yeah we are likely going with the SVOD.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    After a tough 2-6 start to the year in 3 different cities, this team is 17-16
    Should I let you know what their record is when taking out their best 8 game stretch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Should I let you know what their record is when taking out their best 8 game stretch?
    I'm a little more forgiving for the first 2 series. After opening day, the weather was awful. Marte playing despite failing drug test was incredibly unfair too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    like their star catcher this is a late blooming team that is saving its best for September

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't believe we are done with that though.
    I hope not. Coppy is quickly putting himself in a corner though with all this "We want to contend now" and "We are done trading MLB players for prospects".

We still need all the prospects we can get. MLB players would be great also, but we need to make the trade if the talent is there for either.

I fear if we are anywhere near a wildcard, we will not move ONE vet, and actually we will give up prospects and add players.

This is a kick in the teeth in two ways.
    1. In no way will we contend this year, so anyone acquired does not help in the least unless it's a long term peice and those are VERY pricey and the most expensive at the deadline.

2. Most of the vets are on one year deals, so if we don't move them...we literally get nothing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-23-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I hope not. Coppy is quickly putting himself in a corner though with all this "We want to contend now" and "We are done trading MLB players for prospects".

We still need all the prospects we can get. MLB players would be great also, but we need to make the trade if the talent is there for either.

I fear if we are anywhere near a wildcard, we will not move ONE vet, and actually we will give up prospects and add players.

1. In no way will we contend this year, so anyone acquired does not help in the least unless it's a long term peice and those are VERY pricey and the most expensive at the deadline.

2. Most of the vets are on one year deals, so if we don't move them...we literally get nothing.
    Good analysis. I think Coppolella should flip the flippable (guys like Motte for instance) even if the return is a so-so prospect.

Like you, I worry that Coppolella has put the team in this netherworld where we're neither young and developing nor older and solidly contending.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 05-23-2017 at 09:40 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I can't imagine that Coppy wouldn't move a veteran on a one year deal if he got a solid offer unless the Braves were actually in the wild card race. There is some dissonance in what he says and what he has done as far as constructing the "contender."

Now, what constitutes in the wild card race is an open question. If the are a game or two out, then sure stay in. IF they are five out and contemplating, please sell.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Good analysis. I think Coppolella should flip the flippable (guys like Motte for instance) even if the return is a so-so prospect.

Like you, I worry that Coppolella has put the team in this netherworld where we're neither young and developing or older and solidly contending.
    Usually when you try doing two things at once, you end up being average (at best) on both fronts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Like you, I worry that Coppolella has put the team in this netherworld where we're neither young and developing nor older and solidly contending.
    Usually when you try doing two things at once, you end up being average (at best) on both fronts.
    It's the Mukaki Rebuild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    We should be both sellers and buyers at the deadline. Pick up a third baseman. Trade a veteran pitcher to make room for Sims or Newcomb. Someone might be desperate for a catcher. Suzuki might net a decent return.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    It's the Mukaki Rebuild.
    Just like another gift that keeps on giving.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-23-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We should be both sellers and buyers at the deadline. Pick up a third baseman. Trade a veteran pitcher to make room for Sims or Newcomb. Someone might be desperate for a catcher. Suzuki might net a decent return.
    I totally agree with that. My fear is that if we are anywhere within reach of a wildcard....Coppy might not move anyone. My fear is also we could make a dumb trade to "prove" their "We believe we are contenders" bit.

We REALLY need Sims and Newcomb tested at the MLB level this year. Assuming the AA guys keep coming hard....we could have a log jam next year at the MLB level for starters to actually get experience.

I also believe Medlen could be the first guy to replace a pitcher on our rotation (not Sims or Newcomb).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    They are showing pretty clearly they will promote young players when they think they are ready -- arguably to the point of rushing them according to some.

The older players on the roster aren't really blocking anyone is my point.

so while it may affect some draft positioning, I'm not sure how big a deal that really is. I moan about the hot streaks at the end of the last two seasons as much as anyone, and it did potentially cost the braves their long term answer at 3B last season, but from a distance the MLB draft is such a crap shoot.

I would have preferred to have picked first as opposed to 3rd and 5th, but playing for the #1 pick this year doesn't make a ton of sense as there is no patience for what the Astros went through around here.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I totally agree with that. My fear is that if we are anywhere within reach of a wildcard....Coppy might not move anyone. My fear is also we could make a dumb trade to "prove" their "We believe we are contenders" bit.

We REALLY need Sims and Newcomb tested at the MLB level this year. Assuming the AA guys keep coming hard....we could have a log jam next year at the MLB level for starters to actually get experience.

I also believe Medlen could be the first guy to replace a pitcher on our rotation (not Sims or Newcomb).

I could see that with Medlin. There is no harm to pushing him and little sense in leaving him down there.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    They are showing pretty clearly they will promote young players when they think they are ready -- arguably to the point of rushing them according to some.

The older players on the roster aren't really blocking anyone is my point.

so while it may affect some draft positioning, I'm not sure how big a deal that really is. I moan about the hot streaks at the end of the last two seasons as much as anyone, and it did potentially cost the braves their long term answer at 3B last season, but from a distance the MLB draft is such a crap shoot.

I would have preferred to have picked first as opposed to 3rd and 5th, but playing for the #1 pick this year doesn't make a ton of sense as there is no patience for what the Astros went through around here.
    I agree with signing vets and giving the young guys time to develop. I just hope they follow through with their own plan. They have been guilty of switching horses mid-steam before.