Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BP management

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Most teams are in the dark ages in BP management. Maddon has been more in the dark ages this year than anybody.

I definitely want to see teams throughout baseball, and obviously the Braves first and foremost, use their bullpen more optimally. But we also don't really have the kind of elite BP arms that allow for the kind of real optimization I would like. And the one advantage you have when waiting to use your best arm(s) is that you have them ready whenever they need to come in. So if you use your best guy in the 8th, you have the decision to make to either pull him for the 9th or keep him out there. And if you pull him, you no longer have him as an option if the lesser guy finds himself in trouble in the 9th.

If the lesser guy finds himself in trouble in the 8th, you can bring in your best arm to get you out of that and then finish it off in the 9th.
    There is built in rest for your best guy too. If you are pitching him in the biggest jams whenever they arise, he's not getting much rest.

I'm guessing that is a major reason why no one uses their pen that way. Also, closers don't like being used that way.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    There is built in rest for your best guy too. If you are pitching him in the biggest jams whenever they arise, he's not getting much rest.

I'm guessing that is a major reason why no one uses their pen that way. Also, closers don't like being used that way.
    The market will absolutely have to adapt before you're going to get a lot of closers buying into being used in a bunch of non-save situations.

There is always the issue of managing to win vs. managing to get through the season. It is more effective to use your best RP for the toughest situations, I don't think there's any doubt about that. The other factors are rest and when to take them out after those situations vs. having them continue in that game. It's never an extremely easy decision.

That said, I don't think the 'he's my closer, so he pitches the 9th' approach is the best way to do it at all, especially once you hit the postseason.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    That said, I don't think the 'he's my closer, so he pitches the 9th' approach is the best way to do it at all, especially once you hit the postseason.
    /ptsd

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-23-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Too soon. Still.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (05-23-2017), Hawk (05-23-2017), jpx7 (05-23-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    One of the stupidest things in playoff history.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    /ptsd

Now we are way off topic, but has anyone seen what Kimbrel is doing this year?

19.2 IP, 36 K, 2 BB (18 K/BB ratio is absolutely insane), 0.92 ERA, 0.49 FIP...so his ERA is due to regress even lower.

Good thing the Braves used him to unload BJ and used that cash to sign Markakis to lead this team to 68 wins!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

19.2 IP, 36 K, 2 BB (18 K/BB ratio is absolutely insane), 0.92 ERA, 0.49 FIP...so his ERA is due to regress even lower.

Good thing the Braves used him to unload BJ and used that cash to sign Markakis to lead this team to 68 wins!
    Yes, he is filth...oh, you didn't actually want to talk about Kimbrel, you just wanted to troll. Cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    God help me I agree with Enscheff.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

Yeah, it's really great that they signed Markakis five months before they traded Upton. Not defending the Markakis signing, but it had nothing to do with the Upton trade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Yeah, it's really great that they signed Markakis five months before they traded Upton. Not defending the Markakis signing, but it had nothing to do with the Upton trade.
    Enscheff only likes certain facts and numbers.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Unfortunately, yes. I live in Boston so I've been able to watch him a lot. He's in vintage form - only two runs given up all season.

Of course, don't forget that we were all told that his arm was going to fall off in 2015 anyways.

Seeing people walk around in Price/Sale/Kimbrel/Betts jerseys serves to constantly remind me just how far the Braves have to go.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-23-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. I live in Boston so I've been able to watch him a lot. He's in vintage form - only two runs given up all season.

Of course, don't forget that we were all told that his arm was going to fall off in 2015 anyways.

Seeing people walk around in Price/Sale/Kimbrel/Betts jerseys serves to constantly remind me just how far the Braves have to go.

And yet the Braves are only 2.5 games behind Boston for overall record.

**edit-- and no that is not what I am saying..

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    @mlbbowman
    The Braves bullpen hasn't allowed a hit over its past 15.1 IP. This is the club's longest such streak in Atlanta history (since 1966).

that is not all on our 4 headed monster too. Neat stat imo..

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    @mlbbowman
    The Braves bullpen hasn't allowed a hit over its past 15.1 IP. This is the club's longest such streak in Atlanta history (since 1966).

that is not all on our 4 headed monster too. Neat stat imo..

Freddie is protecting them. Less pressure to not f up Freeman's MVP season if he's not playing. They can relax.
    Forever Fredi

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (05-23-2017), jpx7 (05-23-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

To be fair, had the Braves kept Kimbrel you would be bitching about a craptastic team spending $13MM per year on a closer. As would a lot of us for that matter.

It does suck to see him in a Bandwagon Sox uniform though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    To be fair, had the Braves kept Kimbrel you would be bitching about a craptastic team spending $13MM per year on a closer. As would a lot of us for that matter.

It does suck to see him in a Bandwagon Sox uniform though.
    Had the Braves traded him for max future return, I wouldn't be bitching. Same deal with Simmons.

Trading Kimbrel was the right move to make for a rebuilding team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    DERP!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    You all know good and well the Markakis signing and BJ trade were meant to be budget neutral.

But don't let me slow down the derptard circle jerk you guys have going in this thread. Keep quoting and congratulating each other!
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-23-2017 at 05:51 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    You all know good and well the Markakis signing and BJ trade were meant to be budget neutral.

But don't let me slow down the derptard circle jerk you guys have going in this thread. Keep quoting and congratulating each other!
    No one thinks that. You just lazy and derped all over yourself.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

Were you in the room when the decision was made? For a guy who seems to depend some much on hard data as you do, you seem to take some direct causal leaps.