Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BP management

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Were you in the room when the decision was made? For a guy who seems to depend some much on hard data as you do, you seem to take some direct causal leaps.
    the most obvious immediate use of BJ Upton savings was acquiring Touki Toussaint in exchange for eating dead salary. Long term, maybe acquiring Kemp?

Had nothing to do with markakis.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    the most obvious immediate use of BJ Upton savings was acquiring Touki Toussaint in exchange for eating dead salary. Long term, maybe acquiring Kemp?

Had nothing to do with markakis.
    The other problem with enscheff's analysis in this instance is that the Braves cut payroll by $15 million between 2014 and 2015. Gee, $15 million. What were they paying Upton? I'm not arguing that was cause and effect, but the decision on Markakis (which I didn't particularly like) had no bearing on the Upton move.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    And if they don't sign Markakis, do they attach BJ to Kimbrel to cut payroll by $15M?

Jesus guys, these moves don't have to happen in sequential order to be tied together.

Anyways, keep jerking each other off in your celebratory quoting of each other.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    So I had no complaints with how game7 managed the pen last night. In fact, I liked his double switch to get JJ out immediately after the blown save. Game thread suggested viz go 2 innings and that was an option. But JJ has been really good and I liked our chances to close that one out.

Also congrats on Jacksons first win. One pitch masterpiece.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And if they don't sign Markakis, do they attach BJ to Kimbrel to cut payroll by $15M?

Jesus guys, these moves don't have to happen in sequential order to be tied together.

Yes, because upton had perhaps the worst contract in baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Viz threw 12 pitches last night and JJ 27. Both pitched the night before. JJ should probably be given tonight off with Viz slated to close. Everyone else should be good to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Viz threw 12 pitches last night and JJ 27. Both pitched the night before. JJ should probably be given tonight off with Viz slated to close. Everyone else should be good to go.
    Teheran going to pitch a 10 inning shutout and we still win in the 9th.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    I think viz is off too. JJ for certain. I see jo-ram closes tonight. Motte and Jackson will be available too. Gotta think Krol gets in some fashion tonight. He hasn't pitched in a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think viz is off too. JJ for certain. I see jo-ram closes tonight. Motte and Jackson will be available too. Gotta think Krol gets in some fashion tonight. He hasn't pitched in a while.
    I don't think Viz has been used 3 consecutive days yet this year. But only 12 pitches last night. Given JJ is probably out, I think Viz will be available for the 9th inning.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    I don't think Viz has been used 3 consecutive days yet this year. But only 12 pitches last night. Given JJ is probably out, I think Viz will be available for the 9th inning.
    I don't think he has either. That is why I think he will try not to use him. I will say if it is really close, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jo-Ram to Viz shut down. I just think it is time to press the others into more high leverage rolls. Give Jackson a shot at the 7th or 8th.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Considering they were trying to dump BJ for several months prior to the trade, it's extremely unlikely that either is related.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I don't think he has either. That is why I think he will try not to use him. I will say if it is really close, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jo-Ram to Viz shut down. I just think it is time to press the others into more high leverage rolls. Give Jackson a shot at the 7th or 8th.
    Motte and Ramirez are rested. I think they get 7 and 8 if we have a lead of 4 or less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Opting to put JJ and Viz on the Do Not Use list probably cost us last night's game. That does not mean it was the wrong decision. There are obviously benefits down the road if Snit is able to keep those two guys healthy and effective for the whole season.

Looking ahead to today's game, I would guess Collmenter (32 pitches last night), Krol (32 pitches), Ramirez (28 pitches) and Motte (23 pitches) are on the Do Not Use list. Viz and JJ will have the 8th and 9th with a small lead. Freeman and Jackson might have to be used in a high leverage situation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Collmenter is straight butt. Now 15 ER given up in his last 8 IP. Seems like we might as well call up Wisler or Blair and at least give them a shot. Having them sit in AAA, even if they're not pitching well, isn't doing anything. Let them try to get major league hitters out.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Collmenter is straight butt. Now 15 ER given up in his last 8 IP. Seems like we might as well call up Wisler or Blair and at least give them a shot. Having them sit in AAA, even if they're not pitching well, isn't doing anything. Let them try to get major league hitters out.
    You got your wish. Wisler up, Josh DFA'd.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Opting to put JJ and Viz on the Do Not Use list probably cost us last night's game. That does not mean it was the wrong decision. There are obviously benefits down the road if Snit is able to keep those two guys healthy and effective for the whole season.

Looking ahead to today's game, I would guess Collmenter (32 pitches last night), Krol (32 pitches), Ramirez (28 pitches) and Motte (23 pitches) are on the Do Not Use list. Viz and JJ will have the 8th and 9th with a small lead. Freeman and Jackson might have to be used in a high leverage situation.

Yeah, our pen is really short right now. We have not had many great starts to help them nor offensive explosions/beat downs to use our scrubs. I wouldn't be surprised if Collmenter is DFA'd today.. not only because he sucks, but they can bring another arm up to be available. You might see a Blair or Wisler called up.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    You got your wish. Wisler up, Josh DFA'd.
    Man.. missed it by 30 seconds..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Last nights game really ****ed us. With Colon going I would plan on piggybacking Wisler and giving the rest of the pen the night off. If a miracle happens and Colon gets through 6 with a lead I would go with Freeman in the 7th to bridge to Viz/JJ to finish. Under no circumstances do I want to see Viz/JJ used unless we have a lead. If we can avoid using any of the big 4. That would put the pen in good position going into the next 6 games before our off day on the first.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Last night Ramirez threw 1 pitch, Viz 19 pitches and JJ 15 pitches.

In a game with a small lead, all three would be available today. We did see in game 3 of the Pirates series that it is important to avoid a situation in which neither Viz nor JJ is available to pitch the ninth. Hopefully, if they get used tonight the pitch count will be low enough to allow one of them to be available Sunday.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Last night Ramirez threw 1 pitch, Viz 19 pitches and JJ 15 pitches.

In a game with a small lead, all three would be available today. We did see in game 3 of the Pirates series that it is important to avoid a situation in which neither Viz nor JJ is available to pitch the ninth. Hopefully, if they get used tonight the pitch count will be low enough to allow one of them to be available Sunday.
    A team is going to have bullpen meltdowns from time-to-time and sometimes you just have to roll the dice so I don't have a problem with them giving Ramirez the save opportunity on Wednesday night. My problem came in the next inning when we didn't have anyone other than Collmenter to pitch. My only gripe with Coppolella is that he seems to continue the Wren tradition of making these odd roster decisions and seeming to not have a blueprint to which he adheres consistently. I understood picking up Collmenter to make a couple of September starts last season, but there's no reason to keep him on the 40-man over the winter. Bullpen could get better when (and if) Cabrera, Winkler, and Rivero recover. Burgos could help as well.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-27-2017)