Thread: Why I hate Verizon

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Why I hate Verizon

First and foremost this is a customer service reps response to why Verizon is so effing slow to push the 4.3 update to the Galaxy Nexus

"The Galaxy Nexus is easily one of my favorite smartphones. With its ease of use and vanilla operating system, what's there not to love! While the updates are originated from the manufacturer, Google, the Nexus delivered on its promise, which is a vanilla operating system. There's no doubt that software updates can be exciting but the main reason for most updates is to resolve known issues with the performance of the device. Our devices are test vigorously to ensure that they will work as promise, thus making a multiple software updates unnecessary. If you feel that this is not the case then please advise as we want you to love your device and the experience that the Nexus provides."

What the **** kind of response is that? We don't feel your phone needs fixing so we won't upgrade the OS. The thing Apple did right was not cave to Verizon and Google did the same thing by pulling Nexus devices from Verizon. Their experience with verizon (and a lesser extent Sprint) pushed them to handle sales themselves.

Reason number 2 why I hate them. Nickel and diming. I know they're not alone but upgrade fees? Seriously? You're charging me to lock myself into a contract with you for 2 more years? Activation fee whatever I can kind of get that cause you're charged it for starting a new line, whether you're signing a contract or not. Fair. But upgrade fee?

Lastly for now reason number 3. Data limits. Again I know other carriers are guilty. But part of the selling point of LTE was the massively improved bandwidth.

Ok I lied about that one being last, but this is how scummy Verizon is. As part of buying the 700 MhZ Spectrum Verizon basically agreed to open it up so any device can use it. Google released the Nexus 7 with LTE in the 700 MhZ bandwidth and Verizon won't allow it access. Now they're changing their tone of course saying they'll look into it or are close to approving it or whatever but it's that level of demand of control which is insane.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    http://bgr.com/2013/09/27/verizon-at...cap-criticism/

So true and such a great point. While some people abuse the network and should be punished with charges or throttled speed, a 2 GB cap is pretty pathetic for the modern world. Of course it's the 2 of the Big 4 who have home services that are peddling the limited data. Mobile has a chance with LTE A to basically kill off the home services.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Verizon the only of the big 4 not to get the Nexus 5, Verizon better watch out because T-Mobile and Sprint are builing their networks up to where they're actual competition.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    T-Mobile, especially. No contracts, cheap plans, and free international data. A lot of people bitch about TMOs coverage area but they obviously know that's an arena they need to improve in and I don't expect it will be altogether too long before they are up to speed in that department.

I got in on the glitch Verizon experienced a few weeks ago when they accidentally offered their unlimited data plan again for $24.99 a month and added another line to my account in addition to upgrading my current plan.

Rocking the Note 3 with unlimited data is pretty sweet, so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I took advantage of 2 promos and got the LG G2 for free and also had a glitch that let me keep my unlimited data. Still would rather have the Nexus 5 for a cost but I'll deal.

My rent is stupid cheap now so maybe I'll take my savings and get a T-Mobile prepaid with a nexus 5.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    How do you like the G2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Its OK. I like it enough. Really want to root it to get rid of stupid Verizon apps. But it is a great size for me and the screen and camera are gorgeous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    One thing I do find annoying about the G2 is that where the volume buttons are located. The Knock On feature works really well so I almost never use the power key, but before putting a case on I accidentally increased or decreased the volume more than once. If you want to see the camera, this is unedited so you can check it out.

If I had to rank the g2 from thte phones I've played with I'd go (for me)

1. Moto X
    2. tie G2 and Note 3 (like fo rdifferent reasons)
    3.iPhone 5s
    4. HTC One
    5. Galaxy S4

I'd sprinkle the motorola droids in there as well but I thin the X is so much better there's no real reason ton consider either of the other ones except the Maxx but that's only because of the battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images