Thread: Is It Time To Trade Julio?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Is It Time To Trade Julio?

Obviously not right this minute while his stock is down, but if he strings together a few good starts, is now the time?

I'm not sure I'll ever be in favor of moving him with that contract, but don't you have to at least consider it at this point? While he obviously won't net what he might've before, his track record combined with that contract still should get you at least one premium prospect (Top 100) in return, no?

Even if they're not necessarily considered "premium prospects", would you take two of the Yankees' secondary guys? At this point, you have to figure their future rotation will consist of some combination of Pineda (re-sign), Severino, Montgomery, Kaprielian, Sheffield, and Chance Adams. You have to figure they'll definitely play on at least one of Arrieta, Darvish, or Lance Lynn regardless of whether or not Tanaka opts out this winter (I can't imagine he does, but I bet they hope so). Julio's cost-certainty and control might appeal to them if you figure they're bound to play on one of Machado or Harper, especially if he'd only need to be their #4 or #5.

With the Yankees in the race a year early but likely not willing to deal any of their top guys for a Sonny Gray or Gerrit Cole, would you call Cashman and tell him he can have Teheran for Dustin Fowler and Domingo Acevedo?

Fowler is ready to step into somebody's outfield right now, and would make one of Markakis or Kemp exoendable - likely without hurting the offense as it stands today. He becomes our "RF of the future", allowing Acuna to remain in CF and Peterson in LF. Even if Acevedo can't stick as a starter, he's almost ready and his 75 fastball makes whichever of Johnson/Vizcaino you get the best offer for immediately expendable, and he becomes your future Closer.

Do you call Theo and offer him for Jeimer Candelario straight-up? Maybe call the Dodgers and offer him for Willie Calhoun and Will Smith?
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-26-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Of course it would be you making this post after all your nonsense last year about Benintendi not being good enough to be a center piece for a Julio trade and it should be Moncada or bust.

We should have traded him for the best offer we could get last season when he was red hot, but at this point trading him would just be a poor move. We have to just hope he can get things turned around and maybe try and move him during the offseason or next season.

Trading him for guys that are borderline top 100 or not even top 100 is pretty pointless.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (05-26-2017), rawwr (05-26-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    no
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I would have traded him after 2013. But we weren't gonna do that because we had a nice looking core of Medlen, Minor, Beachy (coming back), and Julio.

I would have unloaded him during the firesale.
    Forever Fredi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-26-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    We should have already traded him

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-26-2017), mqt (05-26-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    26 years old and a great contract with talent

and this place still wants to trade him

i swear this place sometimes
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Chipper (05-26-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    You guys.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post

"I'm not sure I'll ever be in favor of moving him with that contract..."

You conveniently ignored that part...I swear this place sometimes.

Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post

Of course it would be you making this post after all your nonsense last year about Benintendi not being good enough to be a center piece for a Julio trade and it should be Moncada or bust.

We should have traded him for the best offer we could get last season when he was red hot, but at this point trading him would just be a poor move. We have to just hope he can get things turned around and maybe try and move him during the offseason or next season.

Trading him for guys that are borderline top 100 or not even top 100 is pretty pointless.

It's a Friday afternoon with absolutely nothing going on - didn't notice that you'd come up with a better topic.

Was a simple question about what others felt.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I'm fine with dealing him because I don't think we are close to competing, but doing it for a team's secondary prospects would be nuts.

Also, what happened to inciarte in your Fowler scenario?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I'm fine with dealing him because I don't think we are close to competing, but doing it for a team's secondary prospects would be nuts.

Also, what happened to inciarte in your Fowler scenario?
    If you're dealing Julio, I assume you're trying to dump everyone you can (maybe other than Freddie) in an attempt to completely top off the system. In that case, your target moves back another year or two, so I'd assume you'd also move Ender, Kemp, and Markakis if you could.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If you're dealing Julio, I assume you're trying to dump everyone you can (maybe other than Freddie) in an attempt to completely top off the system. In that case, your target moves back another year or two, so I'd assume you'd also move Ender, Kemp, and Markakis if you could.
    I thought last year was the time to trade him. IF, big IF, you got a stud package. You'd have to get a player that you could plug in right away or could possibly have come up this year. I think it's likely that other teams were not going to give up that type of impact guy for Tehran.

Right now I do think we are about to get a bunch of quality pitchers. I know all won't pan out but I like those guys a lot. You know they will always want a vet or two. So I'd keep JT over signing a 33+ y/o vet. Ideally someone and Folty would really step up and we can have Folty and that guy be 1-2. But I'm less optimistic that we'll get our 4+ WAR pitcher...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    If we traded him, how would we still be able to keep the 25th best starter's ERA in MLB??

Last year at the deadline or even this summer was the time to move him. Now with his performance also....that ship has sailed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Not trading him unless someone wants to overpay. We need starters. Preferably ones that are both cheap and good. Julio was pretty good just a short while ago (3.48 ERA as recently as May 1). You keep him while he's cheap and consider trading him either in the off-season or after 2018 when he starts getting more expensive and some of the younger pitchers have established themselves.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-26-2017 at 06:56 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The time to move Teheran was back when everyone with half a clue was saying over and over and over that he should be traded. Remember that time, when the posi-Braves were throwing tantrums every time someone predicted exactly this scenario happening and Teheran losing value?

Now that he has wasted 2 productive seasons on a non-contender, and is pitching terribly, it's time to hold onto him.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-26-2017)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Teheran should have been traded in the offseason when his value peaked. Pitchers are ticking timebombs, you would love to give it to someone when the timer hits 1, but you could be left holding it if you do.

As a team who wasn't gonna win this year, Julio should have been traded for whatever the max we could have gotten.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-27-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post

exactly

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    If somebody swoops in by deadline time with an "offer that you can't refuse," well of course you do it!

If not, you plan on soldiering on with him as part of the Master Plan...but don't hold any aspirations that he's going to become that mythical #1 staff ace just because the team behind him finally emerged and got better. He'll be a fine 2nd or 3rd starter on a serious contending team. The thinking is that there's an arm, buried deeper within the system, that will eventually surpass him and the stopper will come from trading a package of other assets when the time is (supposedly) right.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I would have traded him after 2013. But we weren't gonna do that because we had a nice looking core of Medlen, Minor, Beachy (coming back), and Julio.

I would have unloaded him during the firesale.
    Before that, add Hanson to that mix, but there was no way anybody could have foreseen the run of misfortune which was to come.