Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 294

Thread: GDT 9/20/13: Braves (Maholm) @ Cubs (Baker) 2:20 PM - HEYWARD BACK!!!

  1. #21
    Called Up to the Major Leagues NYCBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    890
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    343
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    According to Bowman, Heyward is slated to play 5 innings and be off tomorrow, similar to spring training regimen.

  2. #22
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    The Chosen One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    20,217
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7,482
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7,757
    Thanked in
    4,492 Posts
    Fredi must want to try and clinch this thing tonight.
    Forever Fredi


  3. #23
    A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14,683
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,273
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9,577
    Thanked in
    5,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Fredi must want to try and clinch this thing tonight.
    Um, without Elliot Johnson in the lineup? Hardly.

  4. #24
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    The Chosen One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    20,217
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7,482
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7,757
    Thanked in
    4,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Um, without Elliot Johnson in the lineup? Hardly.
    He's saving Elliot for the big hit in the 9th.
    Forever Fredi


  5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

    Julio3000 (09-20-2013)

  6. #25
    On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List tululush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    712
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    96
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Hmmm that's only two at bats. I understand he needs to work back into things and I guess him coming back with 10 games to go is a bit sooner than we all had thought but I was kind of hoping he'd get as many at bats as he could. Oh well. Hopefully his stamina is built back up after a few games and he can play a full 9 innings soon. I am also curious to see how he plays defense. Will he lay out head first for a ball if he needs to or will he pull up the way Francoeur used to all the time?

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    According to Bowman, Heyward is slated to play 5 innings and be off tomorrow, similar to spring training regimen.

  7. #26
    A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14,683
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,273
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9,577
    Thanked in
    5,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    He's saving Elliot for the big hit in the 9th.
    Well, I see that this Heyward fellow is only slated to play five innings. Elliot can bring the magic after that. Never mind. Carry on.

  8. #27
    Called Up to the Major Leagues NYCBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    890
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    343
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Hmmm that's only two at bats. I understand he needs to work back into things and I guess him coming back with 10 games to go is a bit sooner than we all had thought but I was kind of hoping he'd get as many at bats as he could. Oh well. Hopefully his stamina is built back up after a few games and he can play a full 9 innings soon. I am also curious to see how he plays defense. Will he lay out head first for a ball if he needs to or will he pull up the way Francoeur used to all the time?
    Well he is hitting lead off, are you assuming we follow our current trend and do nothing the first two times through the lineup?

  9. #28
    On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List tululush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    712
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    96
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    It's entirely possible. I hope we bat around a few times so he gets a lot of abs within that 5 inning time frame. I just wish it were more of a ab cap rather than an inning cap. Let him get 3 abs and pull him if you're going to limit his work. We have 10 games left. How many of those is he going to be pulled in the 5th vs playing the whole game? I'd hate for him to go into playoffs rusty knowing he left abs on the table.

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Well he is hitting lead off, are you assuming we follow our current trend and do nothing the first two times through the lineup?

  10. #29
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    The Chosen One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    20,217
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7,482
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7,757
    Thanked in
    4,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    It's entirely possible. I hope we bat around a few times so he gets a lot of abs within that 5 inning time frame. I just wish it were more of a ab cap rather than an inning cap. Let him get 3 abs and pull him if you're going to limit his work. We have 10 games left. How many of those is he going to be pulled in the 5th vs playing the whole game? I'd hate for him to go into playoffs rusty knowing he left abs on the table.
    Considering he wasn't expected to return until next week, I think giving him these few AB's against live MLB pitching instead of simulated game vs. Minor leaguers is a much better approach.
    Forever Fredi


  11. #30
    It's OVER 5,000! cajunrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    uranus
    Posts
    11,565
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,226
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,682
    Thanked in
    1,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I guess Jason's agent was a little off:

    #Braves’ Heyward will miss the rest of the regular season, per his agent, Victor Menocal. Availability for post-season to be determined.—
    Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 22, 2013
    He just wanted to set expectations low.

  12. #31
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    The Chosen One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    20,217
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7,482
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7,757
    Thanked in
    4,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    He just wanted to set expectations low.
    Fairly certain it had more to do with Jason not really caring about the game enough to want to come back soon.

    Unfortunately for Jason, the Doctor's prognosis for his return was later than his actual recovery time.
    Forever Fredi


  13. #32
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,750
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,187
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,463
    Thanked in
    1,155 Posts
    Glad Heyward is back.

  14. #33
    Called Up to the Major Leagues NYCBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    890
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    343
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    It's entirely possible. I hope we bat around a few times so he gets a lot of abs within that 5 inning time frame. I just wish it were more of a ab cap rather than an inning cap. Let him get 3 abs and pull him if you're going to limit his work. We have 10 games left. How many of those is he going to be pulled in the 5th vs playing the whole game? I'd hate for him to go into playoffs rusty knowing he left abs on the table.
    You realize in order for him to get 3 ABs, all we'd really need to do is get a combination of 3 hits/walks in the first 5 innings.

  15. #34
    Gwinnett Bound
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    633
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    185
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    I'm kind of hoping we clinch tomorrow because that game will be on national television (WGN). But either way, I want the division DONE so I can stop having flashbacks to 2011.

  16. #35
    On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List tululush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    712
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    96
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Yes. I'm sorry, overlooked that. My mistake. I just hope he can get back into his groove and only experience a limited amount of rust. Just need him to get on at a decent clip and produce runs.

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    You realize in order for him to get 3 ABs, all we'd really need to do is get a combination of 3 hits/walks in the first 5 innings.

  17. #36
    Called Up to the Major Leagues NYCBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    890
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    343
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Yes. I'm sorry, overlooked that. My mistake. I just hope he can get back into his groove and only experience a limited amount of rust. Just need him to get on at a decent clip and produce runs.
    Oh I totally understand, I'm with you on that. There's nothing more I want than a normal Heyward for the post season. We need him.

  18. #37
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    The Chosen One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    20,217
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7,482
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7,757
    Thanked in
    4,492 Posts
    What sucks is the Nats play tonight.

    We could conceivably clinch if they lose tonight and we win this afternoon....

    If we win today, the boys will have to be in the clubhouse watching all day.
    Forever Fredi


  19. #38
    It's OVER 5,000! Braves1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15,027
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7,679
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,207
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    I'm kind of hoping we clinch tomorrow because that game will be on national television (WGN). But either way, I want the division DONE so I can stop having flashbacks to 2011.
    Anyone having flashbacks of 2011 at this point has more issues than clinching will resolve. This division has long since been decided, at least going back to our last sweep in DC or the one before that.

    Further, I expect those just wanting to get it over with will regret that mindset if we clinch by waiting around for a Nats loss. If that happens this could end up the most boring division title in a while because no celebration on the field, etc. Which will really stink even more should we don't get past the first round (though that will stink a lot regardless). Then we'll look back on a division title with very little of the fun at the end. It would be even less fun that winning the Wild Card last year. We did that in style and I am hoping for something similar for clinching this division title.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 09-20-2013 at 12:21 PM.

  20. #39
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    22
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    148
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    they must have really liked that batting practice session he had Wednesday, this is a lot sonner than expected. Jason must be feelin real good today.

  21. #40
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,750
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,187
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,463
    Thanked in
    1,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    I'm kind of hoping we clinch tomorrow because that game will be on national television (WGN). But either way, I want the division DONE so I can stop having flashbacks to 2011.
    If we win one game, Wsh has to run the table.

    I could maybe see it if we lose all 3 in Wsh.

    But we need 2 wins or 2 Nats losses, or one win and one Wsh loss.

Similar Threads

  1. Heyward to Cubs for less than $200M
    By Enscheff in forum The 2019 Chronicles: The Free Men of the Golden Wren Era Take the Neck's Step.
    Replies: 300
    Last Post: 12-23-2015, 07:53 PM
  2. GDT 8/13 Braves vs. Dodgers: Simba Back, Heyward Leading Off!
    By CrimsonCowboy in forum The 2019 Chronicles: The Free Men of the Golden Wren Era Take the Neck's Step.
    Replies: 322
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM
  3. GDT 9/25/13: Brewers (Lohse) @ Braves (Maholm) 7:10 PM
    By NYCBrave in forum 2013 Gamethreads
    Replies: 290
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 08:21 PM
  4. If the Braves don't think Heyward will be back for the Playoffs...
    By ramadon101 in forum The 2019 Chronicles: The Free Men of the Golden Wren Era Take the Neck's Step.
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 08-31-2013, 10:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •