Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TUESDAY MINORS THREAD 5/30 ... Medlen starts for Miss.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's getting to the point where we can seriously start to discuss Acuna being the #1 prospect in the system, and in the Top 10-20 overall. I see no reason not to include him up with Robles and Eloy. He is younger than both of them, producing better than both of them, is at a higher level than both of them, and is doing it in a hitting environment at least as difficult as both of them.

Albies, Acuna and Maitan are becoming a 3-headed prospect monster for the Braves, and should start to ease the concerns we have about the Braves being too pitcher heavy.
    I agree on Acuna perhaps surpassing Albies, not because of Albies' 'struggles,' as I don't think his stock has dropped at all, but because Acuna has similar potential defensively and on the basepaths and his power advantage probably outweighs Albies' hit tool edge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I agree on Acuna perhaps surpassing Albies, not because of Albies' 'struggles,' as I don't think his stock has dropped at all, but because Acuna has similar potential defensively and on the basepaths and his power advantage probably outweighs Albies' hit tool edge.
    I notice we started acuna in LF last night. Indictment of his defense?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I notice we started acuna in LF last night. Indictment of his defense?
    I doubt it. All indications are that his CF defense is good enough to stick there at least into his mid-20s. He certainly is good enough to stay there through the minors. Probably just moving guys around to give them looks in different spots. After all, if Acuna comes up in the next couple years, he's likely not going to be playing CF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Dustin Peterson is also someone that looks like he will be at the very least a decent hitter in the major leagues. Lots of doubles power and is always young for the league. The numbers aren't great but in 2015 he was raking until the bus accident. This kid has the potential to be a good player (2-3 WAR in LF for those statistically inclined folks).

Christian Pache is also a super prospect and is not too far away from including into our potential OF in the future. I'd like to see him perform for the whole season but the tools packages is exciting.

Then there are wildcards such as Demeritte/Jackson/Cumberland/Ventura. This list excludes the last Latin American class as well. I'd be very comfortable with the team drafting a pitcher with their first pick if they felt he had TOR potential. The hitting on the farm is very good right now and would rival all but 2 or 3 systems in baseball.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I doubt it. All indications are that his CF defense is good enough to stick there at least into his mid-20s. He certainly is good enough to stay there through the minors. Probably just moving guys around to give them looks in different spots. After all, if Acuna comes up in the next couple years, he's likely not going to be playing CF.
    Sounds like its all about Ender. Ender has the body type that would last better in CF. Big issue with Andruw was letting him dive all over the place after his early 20s. In hindsight I bet the Braves feel they made a mistake not moving him to one of the corners despite his all time defense.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I question whether Pache will ever get to the top level as a prospect. The grades on his power are not good, and he doesn't have the same hit tool Albies does. His defense could be elite, so he could be an Ender-type (better in a perfect world), but I think that's roughly his ceiling unless his power suddenly jumps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I question whether Pache will ever get to the top level as a prospect. The grades on his power are not good, and he doesn't have the same hit tool Albies does. His defense could be elite, so he could be an Ender-type (better in a perfect world), but I think that's roughly his ceiling unless his power suddenly jumps.
    Fair to question. Pache has a long ways to go. Just seems that a lot of prospects evaluators are becoming very bullish on him. With a player this young that holds the most weight in my eyes.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Sounds like its all about Ender. Ender has the body type that would last better in CF. Big issue with Andruw was letting him dive all over the place after his early 20s. In hindsight I bet the Braves feel they made a mistake not moving him to one of the corners despite his all time defense.
    I really doubt the Braves feel they made a mistake not moving Andruw to a corner OF spot to save his body. That's an insane thought.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I really doubt the Braves feel they made a mistake not moving Andruw to a corner OF spot to save his body. That's an insane thought.
    yeah.. he was elite defensively up until he left. No chance he would have accepted a move to center.. And who on our team would be even half the CF Andruw was after we moved him.. I doubled took on that comment but didn't say anything.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    yeah.. he was elite defensively up until he left. No chance he would have accepted a move to center.. And who on our team would be even half the CF Andruw was after we moved him.. I doubled took on that comment but didn't say anything.
    Now, now, I doubt you "know baseball" like thethe does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    But does Andruw have another great 5 years if he is moved sooner?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    if he stayed away from the hookers and buffet, he might have.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Andruw cf always. He didn't take are of his body. That's on him. He was great and he is rich but he likely misses hof bc of it

We have lots of high upside guys. It's just many are far away. And we lack power. Riley Jackson demerrite and acuna are our only shots a plus power. Acuna might not be plus in a corner. Jackson not at catcher might not b plus. Cumberland is hot but he's a college guy in a ball who nobody seems to think he can catch...less than Ajax

And I still think kemp deal drags us down if we can't move it by this offseason

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If he keeps this up till break, do you move him to AAA after break?
    Absolutely not

He's 19. We suck. We have a ton of money in the of.

Full year in aa. If he has a 1000 ops great. Then aaa. If he takes there he can come up after deadline at the sat.

Don't rush him. Don't make him a free agent at 25

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Even if that is a scenario I don't know if I would have done that move. We got to witness the greatest defensive CF ever.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    This is weird.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    This is such an odd argument, why not move Kershaw to the pen to save his arm for later, could also put Andrelton at second to squeeze a couple more years out of him.

So much of what made Andruw elite was his defense, why in the world would you move that?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (05-31-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    He's all of 18. I think the jury can deliberate for a bit regarding his power potential. Not saying he's ever going to be anything more than a 10 HR guy, but if he can cover the ground in center, that makes him potentially quite valuable.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Even if that is a scenario I don't know if I would have done that move. We got to witness the greatest defensive CF ever.
    It was great to watch but I believe his steep downfall was a combination of bad habits and health. Maybe the health could have been prevented. It could have been done as he got bigger.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    It was great to watch but I believe his steep downfall was a combination of bad habits and health. Maybe the health could have been prevented. It could have been done as he got bigger.
    I think the way he took care of himself had way more to do with it than the position.