Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Is the rebuild in trouble?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    I think prospects are very valuable. But the reality is that the likelihood that the return we got back for our good assets won't amount to much.

Certainly, Fried or Newcomb or Wisler or whoever may pan out. I'm just not banking on it. Are you?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think prospects are very valuable. But the reality is that the likelihood that the return we got back for our good assets won't amount to much.

Certainly, Fried or Newcomb or Wisler or whoever may pan out. I'm just not banking on it. Are you?
    No one should count on prospects. Ever.

But its more likely to get five prospects out of 30 guys than it is out of 7.

The Braves had reached a place where there was no realistic path forward with their roster and with their payroll. They had little choice but to acquire as many prospects as they could.

I am more optimistic about the Braves going forward in real life 2017 than I would be on Earth 2.

I say that being aware that none of the prospects, even those you've singled out, or lauded other teams for acquiring, might pan out.

I would never choose to be in a place where I am trading established players for prospects. I would trade prospects for established players all day if I had a steady supply of them and a realistic chance of winning and the financial means to pay for it.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Agree Simmons was a bad sell. Getting one too 50 guy is a lot of pressure

The uzr range comment from bowman was odd to me. I never thought of Simone having great range. To me he positioned well and had the instincts. But mostly he played super deep bc his arm always let him.

We will see how he ages

Newcombe is going to come up by the break

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Don't see a universe where it was the right move to keep either Heyward or Upton. The rest of the moves are certainly debateable.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    That's because most of them bought the competing in 2017 nonsense that was being spread by the front office. Most people probably thought that money being saved would be put towards a contending team.
    Point was that sentiment was overwhelming to want the guy gone.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Since there's some yapping about Newcomb, what's so wrong with him? Not even a full year if AAA, and already hes being written off?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Since there's some yapping about Newcomb, what's so wrong with him? Not even a full year if AAA, and already hes being written off?
    I am a big Newk guy. I personally think he and folty are the same. Stuff guys who has to put it together. But the frustration is more about the fact he is 24 and still doing exactly the same thing since his pro debut. You can't walk 5 guys per 9 and survive. This is not exclusive to AAA

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (06-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I'm higher on Newcomb now than I was before the season. His walks are beyond frustrating, but his stuff is incredible and his mechanics are pretty good.

I think he needs to work on his control, but he may also be that pitcher and just know how to maneuver in and out of trouble.

The comment on him and Folty being a lot alike is relatively true, though I think Folty has a much higher ceiling -- like legit TOR potential -- and Newcomb is more of a really good number 2.

We'll see!

I do think Newcomb and Sims get a taste of the bigs way earlier than others think, especially with the team slowly digging deeper under .500 and the idea of a trade of Garcia, Colon (someone will want him) and Dickey becoming more viable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I'm higher on Newcomb now than I was before the season. His walks are beyond frustrating, but his stuff is incredible and his mechanics are pretty good.

I think he needs to work on his control, but he may also be that pitcher and just know how to maneuver in and out of trouble.

The comment on him and Folty being a lot alike is relatively true, though I think Folty has a much higher ceiling -- like legit TOR potential -- and Newcomb is more of a really good number 2.

We'll see!

I do think Newcomb and Sims get a taste of the bigs way earlier than others think, especially with the team slowly digging deeper under .500 and the idea of a trade of Garcia, Colon (someone will want him) and Dickey becoming more viable.
    I'm still really high on Newcomb. As you say his stuff is incredible. As for his mechanics, they're excellent...except when they're not. He still hits points where he struggles repeating his delivery and release point. That's when he tends to have the 3 walk innings where he allows a couple runs. When he's repeating his delivery and has a consistent release point, his command is actually pretty good.

I disagree with Newcomb's ceiling being a good number 2. I think him being a number 2 starter is more likely than him being an ace but if he can settle the command down a little then then sky's the limit.

If Newcomb and Sims don't both get to the majors this year then there's a problem. I think Garcia and Dickey get dealt. Not sure about Colon. I don't see anyone wanting him unless we pick up virtually all his salary and I don't see the Braves doing that. They'll just keep him around as a mentor.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (06-02-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Yeah I think Newcomb has the pure stuff to be as good as any pitcher in baseball. The problem is obviously putting it all together. Sometimes it just clicks though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    walks walks walks. He's never really conquered that beast and it's going to be something he has to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    walks walks walks. He's never really conquered that beast and it's going to be something he has to do.
    plus this is his age 24 season...by contrast Soroka and Allard are having more success at 19 in AA.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Newcomb will be most hyped loogy ever.

Or maybe he can be Venters 2.0.
    Forever Fredi

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    By the end of this year we shall see. The stuff is there and I really doubt his numbers change that much once promoted. Can he keep his pitch count down enough to go more than five innings ? That's the question.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

Which isnt a bad thing

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

Thats the thing with these high ceiling guys. Even if guys like Newk or Touki do not pan out as starters...they have the stuff to be lights out relievers. I personally think Newk slowly figures it out and will end up being at least a #2. I think Touki will end up being a reliever...possibly a closer.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Thats the thing with these high ceiling guys. Even if guys like Newk or Touki do not pan out as starters...they have the stuff to be lights out relievers. I personally think Newk slowly figures it out and will end up being at least a #2. I think Touki will end up being a reliever...possibly a closer.
    I think this too. I think Newk will be 26 when he just starts to click. that is why I describe him like Folty. Just someone who has the tools, but needs the head to catch up.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Maybe he's like Cabrera and he does better in MLB

Maybe more consistent zones help him. Maybe the challenge of MLB keeps him more mentally engaged.

Maybe he walks too many

He has star stuff. He's left handed. He's 24. We are bad to avg until at least 2019 season so he needs to get a shot now

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Not saying Newk will ever be as good but Randy Johnson had control trouble too before figuring it out and developing impeccable control for a power lefty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Not saying Newk will ever be as good but Randy Johnson had control trouble too before figuring it out and developing impeccable control for a power lefty.
    And before Johnson there was Koufax. It is ok to dream some on guys like Newcomb. And it is ok to have some awareness of the odds for the various possible outcomes for prospects with the same approximate characteristics.