Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the rebuild in trouble?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    It didn't matter what we got back. The point of the trade was dumping Upton. That we got back any value was a bonus.
    Which is exactly the wrong goal for a rebuilding team. Dumping anyone should not be a priority when the contract would expire before the team is going to contend.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Wisler is struggling pretty badly.
    Austin Riley is doing better than any of the other prospects.
    Tooki seems to be making strides with his control but is getting hit pretty hard
    Krol is the major league pen and doing ok

Not sure what undetermined international and mlb draft signings are doing.

Matt Kemp on his way to greater than 1 bWar.

The Padres 17 million being flushed down the toilet.
    It's comical watching you try to undersell the Padres' return and pump up the Braves' return.

You are desperate to shine as a posi-Brave despite everyone unaffiliated with the Braves knowing the Padres got more in return for a less valuable asset.

You know, I know, anyone with half a clue knows it. Why you insist on defending this FO is odd, almost like Coppy is you uncle or something.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The Johns have messed up. Probably their biggest mistake was trying to please fans like you by trying to compete in 2017
    Trying to please me? They don't care about me or anyone else outside the organization. They have made a ton of bad moves. Ever hear of Hector Olivera?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Braves got

Wisler (#34 Prospect in baseball)
    Paroubec (Traded for Int'l bonus pool money)
    41st Pick (Austin Riley)
    Cam Maybin --> Krol and Speier
    and a lot of payroll flexibility out of the trade.

The FO directly Upton's feed salary to its acquisition of Touki. I think you can fairly link some of the bonuses extended in the past two drafts and int'l signing period to it as well.

Perhaps it also created the payroll flexibility to sign Colon and Dickey and trade for Garcia in 2017, but you could just as easily say it created the flexibility to trade for Kemp (whose acquisition is shaky, but the result of which is up in the air). How do you really decide which money was used where?

There isn't really any way of calculating what the Braves wouldn't have if they had kept Upton.

All we have to go on is that the Padres later traded Kimbrell for some prospects who might turn out to be good.

You realize the money the Braves owed Upton was given to Markakis right?

Again it was a collection of moves to try and contend in 2017 when the new stadium opened. It was a mistake and the Braves are worse off for it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (06-01-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post

Again it was a collection of moves to try and contend in 2017 when the new stadium opened. It was a mistake and the Braves are worse off for it.
    It was the rebuild/reload straddle

The best way to do that is over an open cut slit trench

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I agree with Ensheff 😳. When you know will not be competitive for two to three years....when you know you will most likely be under .500 AND will also be trading off many assets (that will clear cash in itself)...why move one of your biggest trade chips to get rid of a bad contract, when the goal is to gain as many prospects as possible. Let a bad contract run out. Especially when you turn around and sign Nick for $10 mil a year...you aren't gaining that much in salary relief and production does not matter that much on a below .500 team. You don't trade a young Wood and affordable Simmons.

Say what you want about what relief the BJ contract have us, but if you add poor spending in other areas....it's a wash and there were some definite prospects we lost out on.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's comical watching you try to undersell the Padres' return and pump up the Braves' return.

You are desperate to shine as a posi-Brave despite everyone unaffiliated with the Braves knowing the Padres got more in return for a less valuable asset.

You know, I know, anyone with half a clue knows it. Why you insist on defending this FO is odd, almost like Coppy is you uncle or something.
    Margot may well be the best asset that either team acquired in the deal. I think that's probable, but its actually still not a certainty by any means.

The other pieces of the deal for the Padres don't seem to be of much consequence.

Through the Kimbrell trade, the Braves:

Acquired the #31 prospect in baseball
    Acquired the #41 pick in the draft
    upgraded in center field with Maybin, who they then flipped for Ian Krol
    acquired an OF prospect with an upside they flipped to acquire the ability to sign Derian Cruz and/or Pache

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

You realize the Braves signed Markakis several months before they traded Kimbrel right?

What is true is that the Braves were simultaneously trying to be respectable, leave open a window for being decent in 2017 and building a long term system. I probably would have preferred a bigger teardown, but I actually think Coppy navigated the situation fairly intelligently given his apparent marching orders.

It didn't all work out, but beyond the Kemp trade I don't think he has done much to hamper the long term prospects of the organization. I think he'd have preferred to be really bad. I give him a passing grade for the rebuild all things considered, but I'm not nominating him for Cooperstown. It's not that hard to tear something down and trade for prospects. I'm just mystified how he gets killed by some while other GMs get praised for breaking up teams assembled mostly through their own incompetence.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 05-31-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    You realize the Braves signed Markakis several months before they traded Kimbrel right?

What is true is that the Braves were simultaneously trying to be respectable, leave open a window for being decent in 2017 and building a long term system. I probably would have preferred a bigger teardown, but I actually think Coppy navigated the situation fairly intelligently given his apparent marching orders.

It didn't all work out, but beyond the Kemp trade I don't think he has done much to hamper the long term prospects of the organization. I think he'd have preferred to be really bad. I give him a passing grade for the rebuild all things considered, but I'm not nominating him for Cooperstown. It's not that hard to tear something down and trade for prospects. I'm just mystified how he gets killed by some while other GMs get praised for breaking up teams assembled mostly through their own incompetence.
    I am aware Nick was signed before hand. It's called poor planning.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    The saddest thing is that the Braves missed on almost all their big trades.

Fried, Folty, Olivera, Wisler, Newcomb all appear to be misses... The only big trade that has been a slam dunk was Heyward, and that's only bc Dave Stewart is an idiot.

I never supported the tear down, but at least would have liked to seen some big time players acquired from our blue chippers.

Ultimately, the strength of our system is Albies (wren), acuna (wren), matian (intl sign), Anderson (draft), Allard (draft), soroka (draft)

Coppy just didn't do a great job in trades of our best assets

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Fried, Folty, Olivera, Wisler, Newcomb all appear to be misses... The only big trade that has been a slam dunk was Heyward, and that's only bc Dave Stewart is an idiot.

I never supported the tear down, but at least would have liked to seen some big time players acquired from our blue chippers.

Ultimately, the strength of our system is Albies (wren), acuna (wren), matian (intl sign), Anderson (draft), Allard (draft), soroka (draft)

More on this... Had we not tore it down, we still would have been able to draft Allard, Soroka, and signed Matian... We may have missed out on Anderson... But we also would have been a watchable team

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Do not suggest The Genius is a below average GM around these here parts.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I can't call folty a miss. Or rio from that deal

I can't call Newcombe a miss,.. I wouldn't deal him for tron but I still see high leverage to at the least

I think we won the jup deal. Fried is an elite prospect as late as last week from klaw. We got some use out of mallex and have gohara. Peterson is a nice person

I think most think Dustin will be around a 2 war player soon

Show me a gm that doesn't have bad deals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

That assessment can change in two years when the players acquired are actually given a chance to play in the big leagues.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I am aware Nick was signed before hand. It's called poor planning.
    That's not very likely at all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    That assessment can change in two years when the players acquired are actually given a chance to play in the big leagues.
    That would require patience and humility.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I can't call folty a miss. Or rio from that deal

I can't call Newcombe a miss,.. I wouldn't deal him for tron but I still see high leverage to at the least

I think we won the jup deal. Fried is an elite prospect as late as last week from klaw. We got some use out of mallex and have gohara. Peterson is a nice person

I think most think Dustin will be around a 2 war player soon

Show me a gm that doesn't have bad deals.
    Yeah, still need lots of data. The only one that was awful, and it was truly 2am double-bagger awful and completely unnecessary, was Olivera for Wood. Draft pick, blah blah. My comment at the time was, "I do not know if Alex Wood will ever be a top of the rotation guy, or even a serviceable starter. But he should be figuring that out in Atlanta, not LA." And I thought there was a decent chance he'd be quite good. I just didn't see him becoming Drysdale to Kershaw's Koufax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Alex Wood is on the DL right now.

I think everyone thought he was a good pitcher but will he be able to stay healthy.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Your idea is to just endlessly trade anyone good, continue to lose endlessly with no concept on to how to break that cycle.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Alex Wood is on the DL right now.
    I was te leader of trade Alex Wood before he gets hurt. But I hated that we traded him (and Peraza) for Olivera and Rodriguez. Rodrigeuz and Olivera gave us negative value. Wood's given the Dodgers solid performance though of course he's been hurt. Peraza was used by LA as a key (if not the key piece) in the Tood Frazier trade.

So basically we could have sat and probably offered Wood and Peraza for Frazier. Frazier being a very good 3B. Or just kept Wood and PEraza who've both been much better than Olivera or Rodriguez.
    (
    What we have left from that trade is Zack Bird (if he fails Rule 5) and the competitive balance pick . f the pick busts and Bird stays in LA where we get no compensation. We traded Wood and Peraza, for negative production of Olivera and no major league contributions from anyone else. Add in the lost value of trading Johnson who could have needed a mediocre prospect. And Avilan who's turned into a pretty damned solid middle reliever for the Dodgers. I think our lost WAR in that trade sits at someething like 4. And that's not factoring in whatever role Peraza played in the trade. Just his production.

I said when we made the trade that it was one of the worst trades I"ve ever seen made, and it looks just so much worse. The only advantage is we got rid of Olivera for Kemp. Kemp being massively overpaid, but still not as much of a SVOD.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg