Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6/2 Roster moves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevilruss View Post
    Not only is Rio sitting against a righty, it's a sucky righty in Arroyo.
    Dude is 3 for his last 24 while playing shaky defense
    My guess is they have less confidence in Peterson. By virtue of that he stays up

Or, they are showcasing Garcia
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Why do our managers always feel like they belong in the Stone Age?
    When the only requirement is knowing Cox or JS, this is what happens.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I like all of these moves....even EOF. I know not many of us care an ounce about him, but why not try to get him on a roll in order to get something for him at the deadline. If he can't pitch...simply DFA him. He's the type of pitcher that could string some good appearances together (although I don't think he could keep it up for very long).

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I like all of these moves....even EOF. I know not many of us care an ounce about him, but why not try to get him on a roll in order to get something for him at the deadline. If he can't pitch...simply DFA him. He's the type of pitcher that could string some good appearances together (although I don't think he could keep it up for very long).
    Sure, I just think a lot of us hope that Wisler would get a chance to sink or swim in MLB. Who knows, maybe he's going to stretch out in AAA and get a crack at the rotation when we move a starter.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Dude is 3 for his last 24 while playing shaky defense
    My guess is they have less confidence in Peterson. By virtue of that he stays up

Or, they are showcasing Garcia
    And Garcia is even worse against righties. There is nothing to showcase with Garcia. He's a guy who can play a passable 3B and hits lefties well. That's all he will ever be.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It seems the entire Braves organization is well behind the curve of modern day baseball
    It's because they are.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    He's already sitting Rio against a righty tonight so Garcia can play. Just unreal.
    This type of moronicism (word I just made up) is precisely what a this team needs to avoid when it is finally ready to be a fringe contender. Moves like this don't matter now, but when the Braves are a true-talent 85 win team with modest resources, they will need to make use of every small advantage they can. This includes platoons where they make sense, optimized lineups, and smart defensive substitutions for bad defenders like Kemp.

So far, none of those things have happened, and it isn't a good sign for future Braves teams.

Hopefully Adonis is just giving Rio a rest...even though they just had yesterday off.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This type of moronicism (word I just made up) is precisely what a this team needs to avoid when it is finally ready to be a fringe contender. Moves like this don't matter now, but when the Braves are a true-talent 85 win team with modest resources, they will need to make use of every small advantage they can. This includes platoons where they make sense, optimized lineups, and smart defensive substitutions for bad defenders like Kemp.

So far, none of those things have happened, and it isn't a good sign for future Braves teams.

Hopefully Adonis is just giving Rio a rest...even though they just had yesterday off.
    Game7 is a players manager cut from the mold of Bibby Coxs.. You literally have to loose your job before he replaces you in the lineup. Very set in their ways, has to be L,R,L,R lineup construction. I am hopeful that this is Adongus just getting the start because he is coming off the DL and Snit is wanting to get him back out there.. But I know in my heart of heart that Game7 is going to write the lineup card in sharpie and just use that until he thinks it time to give one of the old farts a day off.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I predicted Jace to be a non-tender candidate as soon as he hit arb, and it looks like that will end up being the case. He will hit Arb1 this offseason, and I doubt the Braves can justify paying him 7 figures with Camargo in the system as a cheaper utility option that can also play SS much better than Jace.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I predicted Jace to be a non-tender candidate as soon as he hit arb, and it looks like that will end up being the case. He will hit Arb1 this offseason, and I doubt the Braves can justify paying him 7 figures with Camargo in the system as a cheaper utility option that can also play SS much better than Jace.
    Especially since Carmargo is better anyway.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    The Boni DFA makes this a party, though.
    He'll wind up at Gwinnett and they'll call him back up in September. Emilio is Forever.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

There are still a huge number of people (me included) who believe that unless there extraordinary circumstances, a player does not lose his job due to an injury. Rio did a rock-solid job, but he's not extraordinary.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    He'll wind up at Gwinnett and they'll call him back up in September. Emilio is Forever.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    And Garcia is even worse against righties. There is nothing to showcase with Garcia. He's a guy who can play a passable 3B and hits lefties well. That's all he will ever be.
    Garcia is someone we need to keep (as long as he's league minimum or close to it). He could be a damn valuable bench piece for a decent team. It's not like anyone is going to offer anything of value for him anyway.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    There are still a huge number of people (me included) who believe that unless there extraordinary circumstances, a player does not lose his job due to an injury. Rio did a rock-solid job, but he's not extraordinary.
    Sweet, stone aged thinking.

I would say his .600 OPS and putrid defense in 2017 was more than enough to lose his everyday job.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Sweet, stone aged thinking.

I would say his .600 OPS and putrid defense in 2017 was more than enough to lose his everyday job.
    The fact that it is his job is part of the problem.