Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    The free market did discover a better alternative to lead. It was suppressed in large part by the collusion between large corporations and government. Corporatism was the main economic driver behind the leaded gasoline phenomenon. Lead possibly would have never been an issue in the first place had government not gotten involved.
    Capitalism leads to corporatism, though: that's its natural end-state. How do you suggest fighting that without regulation—admitting, as I do, that regulatory policies and practices can certainly be improved over the past and present versions?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Capitalism leads to corporatism, though: that's its natural end-state. How do you suggest fighting that without regulation—admitting, as I do, that regulatory policies and practices can certainly be improved over the past and present versions?
    It's not its natural end state. Corporatism is dependent upon government, not capitalism. The natural end state of capitalism is the destruction of government.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (06-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    It's not its natural end state. Corporatism is dependent upon government, not capitalism. The natural end state of capitalism is the destruction of government.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Disagree. But glad to know you're an anarcho-capitalist. Very pie-in-the-sky ideology, from where I sit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (06-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Disagree. But glad to know you're an anarcho-capitalist. Very pie-in-the-sky ideology, from where I sit.
    By definition corporatism doesn't exist without the state. I'm not necessarily anarcho-capitalist. I'm just making an argument which system is more moral at its core. Although I do think that as technology advances, government will become less relevant in a capitalist society.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (06-08-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    How and why do you think millenials started demanding it? Why do you think climate change has become a big issue amongst millenials?

It has less to do with millenials going hmmm electric cars are cool and they don't have a big carbon footprint. It has everything to do with self-survival. Millenials want to live on a planet that isn't going to be raped by climate change. I don't want my grandkids to have to suffer because we as a country and society were too stubborn to do something about this and waited too long. Most Boomers don't seem to care as much about climate change since they already had their pie. It's millenials trying to elect leaders that are willing to fight for our country to be a leader on the global stage of climate change.

The Paris Accords have less to do with China or India, and more to do with the United States being a leader and leading by example. It's the message and direction the United States wants to lead the world with. The problem people have with Trump pulling out is 1) He's been campaigning on climate change being a hoax and 2) He's shown no commitment for our government to leading the way for renewables.
    If you want to make the argument that the symbolism of us leaving is damaging, then fine - I can support that. But the actual ramifications of us leaving are meaningless. Actually - I'd say it's resulted in a good outcome: the American people and businesses are upset, and the US doesn't commit to transferring US wealth to subsidize other countries to achieve a truly meaningless outcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Tesla has been the biggest driving force in the electric car industry. It's only after all the hype they've received have the other big car companies invested more to try and make sure Tesla doesn't dominate the market.

If Musk wasn't pushing this, it's not really likely the other Big auto companies invest as much in it now than later. You forget half the country still thinks climate change is a hoax. So if there's no need to create demand for electric cars, why would people get it? Because of hte novelty?
    I don't accept the premise that without musk, we don't get electric cars. Ford has been working on them for over a decade.

Even if it's Musk - that doesn't undermine the point the private sector has been the pioneer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    And how much money is he getting from the Government for his research? Not to mention the money for launching satellites into space?

All of Musk's Companies as of early 2015 received 4.9 Billion dollars in government subsidies according to the LA Times
    Not much. Much less than the oi companies get.

He's gotten $4.9B in subsidies. PayPal, First Solar, and Tesla are worth over $130B combined. And that's not even including SpaceX.

Having said that, if your argument is that government subsidies help these businesses (tax cuts) innovate... then why wouldn't you support massive corporate and individual tax cuts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Weird how Musk and Apple have been two of the biggest critics of Trump pulling out of Paris agreement, and are two companies that have wanted more government leadership on climate change action.

Why are you and sturg trying to insinuate that Musk and Apple are leading by example, and at the same time don't want government to step in and take a bigger role to help them? They're not mutually exclusive.
    I think it's really good politics to criticize the government on this deal, bc the public sees the headline and thinks it's a bad deal. There are no repercussions for condemning the move.

There is also clear interest for massive companies to want the US to commit to these things, because they can comply with massive & expensive regulations whereas up and coming competitors struggle to do so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Millenials and Gen Xers have been demanding electric cars, Solar, etc. but I'm not seeing BP jumping on the solar train.
    This is not true. The major energy companies have in fact invest billions in clean energy initiatives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think it's really good politics to criticize the government on this deal,

The survey conducted between June 2 and 4 found 57% of registered voters who were surveyed oppose the decision to leave, while 33% support it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...rt-poll-2017-6
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    The survey conducted between June 2 and 4 found 57% of registered voters who were surveyed oppose the decision to leave, while 33% support it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...rt-poll-2017-6
    Who gives a **** about that poll! 90% of the people in America don't understand the Paris accord

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Greenwashing is way cheaper than meaningful change. Lobbying and paying fines is cheaper than adjusting your business model significantly. Same in finance as in fossil fuels. Why would you expect any different?
    Volkswagen is a great example of this—and they would've gotten away with it, too, if not for those meddling governments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    By definition corporatism doesn't exist without the state. I'm not necessarily anarcho-capitalist. I'm just making an argument which system is more moral at its core. Although I do think that as technology advances, government will become less relevant in a capitalist society.
    Explain this, or actually define corporatism—whichever you prefer. If you just mean that governments issue certificates of incorporation, which enjoin companies to certain stipulations and also confer certain benefits—well that's a pretty tautological definition that isn't how most people would understand "corporatism".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Explain this, or actually define corporatism—whichever you prefer. If you just mean that governments issue certificates of incorporation, which enjoin companies to certain stipulations and also confer certain benefits—well that's a pretty tautological definition that isn't how most people would understand "corporatism".
    I think you understand that corporatism is the state intervening with business, providing subsidies and bailouts and making specific laws to benefit.

That is our system.

It is NOT capitalism.

And it is what leads to your wealth gap you complain about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think you understand that corporatism is the state intervening with business, providing subsidies and bailouts and making specific laws to benefit.

That is our system.

It is NOT capitalism.

And it is what leads to your wealth gap you complain about.
    That's not the generally understood meaning of "corporatism" (sociopolitical organization around large mutually-interested groups), but I'm fine if you want to proceed with it for the purposes of this discussion.

In our system, it most certainly is an instantiation of capitalism—even if it isn't the mostly-unfettered, minimal-state-apparatus capitalism that (I believe?) you want, nor the pure, totally stateless anarcho-capitalist version that we all know weso secretly wants. But it's still a form of capitalism.

Nonetheless, I'd love to read how either of these purer capitalist formulations would assuage this wealth-gap that you assure me is the product of the interventionist bugaboo (and not, as I surmise, a result of the unrelenting profit-motive baked into capitalism's core structuring).

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    The free market did discover a better alternative to lead. It was suppressed in large part by the collusion between large corporations and government. Corporatism was the main economic driver behind the leaded gasoline phenomenon. Lead possibly would have never been an issue in the first place had government not gotten involved.
    Um, could you thumbnail that for me?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-08-2017), zitothebrave (06-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The website is called Make Our Planet Great Again.

Researchers, teachers, and students can apply for a four-year grant that allows them to continue their studies or instruction, fully financed. The site also provides information on how to move to France by obtaining a work visa and residency permit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/emman...-france-2017-6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (06-09-2017)

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts