Tim Strauss served as a bullpen coach for the Columbus RedStixx (1993-2002), Greenville Braves (2003-2004) and the Rome Braves (2005-2015). Known for his optimistic demeanor and his encyclopedic baseball knowledge, Tim was a friend, mentor, comedian, and most importantly, a role-model. A true servant leader, his devotion to the physical, mental, and spiritual development of young men has shaped the minds, attitudes, and perspectives of thousands of young players on- and off-the-field for the past 25 years. By way of example, Tim set the tone for professionalism and playing the game with conviction, humility, and with fervor. Tim Straus cleverly used the game of baseball to build men - strong, yet humble men - capable of leading their families, serving their communities, and inspiring the next generation of ball players.

Straus, 60, was the volunteer bullpen catcher for the Rome Braves, a role he has filled since 2005. The occupation was rough on the knees but good for the soul, Straus says.
"“I absolutely love doing it, and I consider it a true privilege,"” he said in 2007. " I'’m profusely thankful to the Braves for allowing me to do this.”"
Straus lives in Atlanta, where he is an assistant baseball coach at Whitefield Academy. That’s his “real job.” His gig with the Rome Braves, on the other hand, was simply a labor of love. He is, perhaps, pro ball’s first pro bono worker — and the Braves are immensely appreciative of his loyalty.
"“I can'’t tell you how much he means to our club,"” said Rome manager Randy Ingle. "“He drives up here every night, on his own time, and performs a thankless duty. He’s a true class act, and we love having him around.”"
A former baseball star and team captain at Oglethorpe University, Straus has been serving as a volunteer bullpen catcher since 1993. He put in ten years with the Cleveland Indians’ organization before catching on with the Greenville Braves in the same role in 2003.
"“It’'s been a wonderful ride,"” said Straus. "“I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.”"