Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yelich

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Yelich

While I'm certainly not a big fan of trying to make a big deal with Miami involving Stanton and other pieces, I will admit a swap involving Yelich would at least pique my interest a bit if I were Coppy. Having 2/3 of our outfield locked up through 2022 with hitters/defenders like Ender and Christian at their ages and with that kind of cost-certainty sure is awfully intriguing. To make a move for him, you'd obviously have to be sure you could move one of Markakis or Kemp, but assuming you could do that, I'd love the upside there. Let's assume you could get an interesting prospective pen piece or two for Markakis, would you be willing to package say Dustin Peterson, Ruiz, Sims, and maybe Touki for Yelich and take a shot at competing next season?

Go get Moustakas this winter and you'd have arguably as deep a lineup as anyone in the NL with Ender, Yelich, Freeman, Kemp, Moustakas, Flowers, Albies, and Swanson. Get what you can (obviously not much at this point) for Big Sexy and Dickey, and use that money to add one veteran rotation arm for 2018 - Lance Lynn, Alex Cobb, or possibly extend Garcia and see just how far you can get. If Folty really has turned the corner, Julio can get his act back together, Lynn/Cobb/Garcia could be a capable #3, and Newcomb can at least be as good as a developing Folty has been as a #4 you could be looking at serious help coming in the second half of 2018 in the forms of Weigel Allard/Soroka.

Acuna replaces Kemp when he's ready without being rushed, and Moustakas becomes trade bait if/when Demeritte, Riley or Maitan are ready to step in.

(Left out Sims in original post.)
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-08-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    While I'm certainly not a big fan of trying to make a big deal with Miami involving Stanton and other pieces, I will admit a swap involving Yelich would at least pique my interest a bit if I were Coppy. Having 2/3 of our outfield locked up through 2022 with hitters/defenders like Ender and Christian at their ages and with that kind of cost-certainty sure is awfully intriguing. To make a move for him, you'd obviously have to be sure you could move one of Markakis or Kemp, but assuming you could do that, I'd love the upside there. Let's assume you could get an interesting prospective pen piece or two for Markakis, would you be willing to package say Dustin Peterson, Ruiz, and maybe Touki for Yelich and take a shot at competing next season?

Go get Moustakas this winter and you'd have arguably as deep a lineup as anyone in the NL with Ender, Yelich, Freeman, Kemp, Moustakas, Flowers, Albies, and Swanson. Get what you can (obviously not much at this point) for Big Sexy and Dickey, and use that money to add one veteran rotation arm for 2018 - Lance Lynn, Alex Cobb, or possibly extend Garcia and see just how far you can get. If Folty really has turned the corner, Julio can get his act back together, Lynn/Cobb/Garcia could be a capable #3, and Newcomb can at least be as good as a developing Folty has been as a #4 you could be looking at serious help coming in the second half of 2018 in the forms of Weigel Allard/Soroka.

Acuna replaces Kemp when he's ready without being rushed, and Moustakas becomes trade bait if/when Demeritte, Riley or Maitan are ready to step in.
    LOL, seriously?

Yelich is controlled for 5/58 after this season. In those 5 years, he will produce around 20 WAR and be worth at least $160M. He has a surplus value of $100M+. He is more valuable than Eaton at the time the Nats acquired him.

And you think the Braves can acquire him for spare parts? Seriously?

Here is the general value of prospects: http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...dated-edition/

Folks can piece together a Yelich package on their own, but you can bet that package starts with one of Albies/Acuna/Maitan plus one of Allard/Soroka.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    A couple things; I love Yelich as a cost-controlled option and a guy who helps with the bat and the glove; also might get a discount here because he's not off to a great start.

That being said, you aren't getting him for Touki/Dustin Peterson/Ruiz.... that's an absurd low-ball, they would laugh you out of the building for that.

edit**
    Enscheff beat me to it, but you gotta admit that's just a horribly constructed low-ball offer.

Maybe you can pry him away without giving up one of the elite guys in the system (Acuna, Albies, Soroka, Allard....) but you have to give up something that hurts. Maybe something like Newcomb, Riley, Pache and Ian Anderson would do the trick?? That still feels like its light.
    Last edited by Preacher; 06-08-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Yeah. Yelich's expected surplus value for the remaining years of contractual control is at least 10 wins. You don't get a player like that with a collection of spare parts.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah. Yelich's expected surplus value for the remaining years of contractual control is at least 10 wins. You don't get a player like that with a collection of spare parts.
    I think even 10 wins is low balling him, but this is worse than his Sale trade proposal...which I didn't think was possible haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Moving away from that crazy trade proposal and onto the question of acquiring Yelich..... it does have some merit.

Coppy has always said they'd be looking to buy long-term MLB pieces with his acquired prospect capital, Yelich would be a very nice piece to flank Inciarte and both are signed through 2022.

If it takes one elite prospect from the (Allard, Soroka, Maitan, Albies, Acuna) group and 2 from the (Newcomb, Touki, Anderson, Wentz, Riley, TD, Gohara types) group --- do you guys bite?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Whew, that is some trade proposal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Moving away from that crazy trade proposal and onto the question of acquiring Yelich..... it does have some merit.

Coppy has always said they'd be looking to buy long-term MLB pieces with his acquired prospect capital, Yelich would be a very nice piece to flank Inciarte and both are signed through 2022.

If it takes one elite prospect from the (Allard, Soroka, Maitan, Albies, Acuna) group and 2 from the (Newcomb, Touki, Anderson, Wentz, Riley, TD, Gohara types) group --- do you guys bite?

I don't think I'd have much trouble parting with Albies, Riley, and Touki for him. Doesn't seem realistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts

We can't keep every prospect and Yelich is a legit MLB talent -- so heck yes. Especially with his contract, which is real quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't think I'd have much trouble parting with Albies, Riley, and Touki for him. Doesn't seem realistic.
    no trouble at all for me. lol I think you're looking at Albies, Riley and either an Anderson type or Touki and Sanchez.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    A couple things; I love Yelich as a cost-controlled option and a guy who helps with the bat and the glove; also might get a discount here because he's not off to a great start.

That being said, you aren't getting him for Touki/Dustin Peterson/Ruiz.... that's an absurd low-ball, they would laugh you out of the building for that.

edit**
    Enscheff beat me to it, but you gotta admit that's just a horribly constructed low-ball offer.

Maybe you can pry him away without giving up one of the elite guys in the system (Acuna, Albies, Soroka, Allard....) but you have to give up something that hurts. Maybe something like Newcomb, Riley, Pache and Ian Anderson would do the trick?? That still feels like its light.

Everyone starts with a lowball offer, and I've never been different in that sense. However, that is the general question - without the snide ridiculous personal shots at people (don't see his idiotic rants)...

IF you could get him with a package that didn't include any of our Top 6 (Acuna, Maitan, Allard, Albies, Soroka, Newcomb), would you - and how far would you be willing to go to get him???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Now....THAT is the only way I take on the Stanton contract. Do a reverse Kimbrel where we get Yelich in the deal. Then maybe you could offer lower prospects.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-08-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Everyone starts with a lowball offer, and I've never been different in that sense. However, that is the general question - without the snide ridiculous personal shots at people (don't see his idiotic rants)...

IF you could get him with a package that didn't include any of our Top 6 (Acuna, Maitan, Allard, Albies, Soroka, Newcomb), would you - and how far would you be willing to go to get him???
    No package that doesn't include at least 1 of those guys (and probably 2 of them) gets Yelich, period.

Clv really has no idea how to value trade assets.

If Coppy opened with the absurd Low ball offer, the Marlins would either assume the Braves were not serious about acquiring Yelich, or fire back with an equally absurd ask on the high end: Albies, Maitan, Acuna and Allard.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-08-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    yea I agree with you, that package wouldn't be enough.

If I chose different players from within my rough tiers; maybe I get there with just 3 guys.

Like instead of Albies, Touki, Riley; how about Acuna, Anderson and Gohara? That's probably more realistic and you still might have to throw in something extra; but with the rapid-rise of Acuna maybe you wouldn't.

So that's the question, would you guys do Acuna, Anderson and Gohara for Yelich? I would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Hahaha, true, but there's lowball offers and then there's centering a package around Touki Toussaint! haha, but I think you're idea of Yelich is a good one, definitely the type of piece we should be targeting and as much as we fall in love with our specs; we can't keep them all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

If I chose different players from within my rough tiers; maybe I get there with just 3 guys.

Like instead of Albies, Touki, Riley; how about Acuna, Anderson and Gohara? That's probably more realistic and you still might have to throw in something extra; but with the rapid-rise of Acuna maybe you wouldn't.

So that's the question, would you guys do Acuna, Anderson and Gohara for Yelich? I would.
    In an alternate reality where Blair and Wisler panned out, and the Braves were a WC contender this season? Yes, I would probably roll the dice on Yelich's present value.

Considering the Braves will win 70 games this year, and won't be good until Acuna is ready to take over for Markakis anyways? No, I don't give up that much future value so Yelich can help the Braves win 80 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts

Not Acuna. But Albies, Anderson and Gohara. Yeah. I'm still high on Albies, but I LOVE Acuna.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    I'm assuming you meant Anderson instead of Newcomb there. So excluding those guys you are left with 2 55 FV guys in Gohara and Fried. And to me those are very low end 55 FV guys if they are even 55 anymore like in Fried's case.

But if you are wanting to get Yelich without our top 6 guys you are going to have to send pretty much the rest of our FV 50 players. So you are looking at something like Fried, Gohara, Pache, Newcomb, and Wentz. Even that seems light. The truth is you are likely going to have to include one of our top 6 prospects as well as multiple guys from the next tier. If I'm the Fish I'm going after 2 of those top 6.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    What if Stanton was included in the deal?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I think Eaton is the right comp... and packages should start there.

I'd be willing to package Albies and Newcomb for Yelich.