Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Draft Day, Post-Draft Thread

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    The picks 4-10 had to happen. Everyone knew this. It was the necessary strategy to get 3 fantastic talents. Quality vs quantity. We've done plenty of the other way. That's not what we needed this year.

I also wouldn't get too excited about the rest of the picks. We may take a chance but the odds are probably low.
    I can understand that at some levels, but you should NOT have to forfeit the rest of your draft to sign the guy you drafted in the first round. It takes money away from MANY other players and defeats the purpose of have a high pick. Have a reasonable set amount for a kid that is probably 18 and right out of high school and is unproven. Let's say #5 pick is slotted at 5 million....that's the Max you get. Your agent can't ask for 7 million to fill his pockets....you get 5 million max. That still allows for teams to use the underslot plan.it still makes a 18 year old a rich kid. Now if you want to get past the first or second round....sure, the current format is ok. You go overslot trying to get a kid that wants to go to college...I get that. It shouldn't be that way in the first round...or really even the second round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Baz agreed to terms with Pitt. Man, that's fast and solid by them. Likely above slot.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I can understand that at some levels, but you should NOT have to forfeit the rest of your draft to sign the guy you drafted in the first round. It takes money away from MANY other players and defeats the purpose of have a high pick. Have a reasonable set amount for a kid that is probably 18 and right out of high school and is unproven. Let's say #5 pick is slotted at 5 million....that's the Max you get. Your agent can't ask for 7 million to fill his pockets....you get 5 million max. That still allows for teams to use the underslot plan.it still makes a 18 year old a rich kid. Now if you want to get past the first or second round....sure, the current format is ok. You go overslot trying to get a kid that wants to go to college...I get that. It shouldn't be that way in the first round...or really even the second round.
    I'm not talking about how it should or shouldn't be. I'm just saying that's the reality of our
    Draft this year

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I'm not talking about how it should or shouldn't be. I'm just saying that's the reality of our
    Draft this year
    Yeah, I understand. I just think the MLB has the most jacked up system. Imagine if you didn't have to worry as much about signing your top pick and also if teams were allowed to trade picks.

Last year, instead of going underslot...we could have traded down, gained a pick or two and probably still nabbed Anderson. It's the teams pick and they should be able to do what they want to do with it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Water's quote.. looks like he is going to sign pretty easy..

“It was good for me, and I was looking forward to agreeing to what they had to offer. He did say that I was going hunting for a weekend with (former Braves third baseman) Chipper Jones,” Waters said. “It was just a dream come true. When I had the opportunity to sign and play professional baseball for them, it was a no-doubter. I’m a huge fan, and now my dreams came true and I’m actually playing for them.”

full article..

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/...156018669.html
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 06-14-2017 at 10:03 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    here's a strategy question I've mulled over in my head..... I know if you outspend you draft allotment by more than 10% you lose the first round pick next year.... does anyone know if there's a hard cap on how much you can actually overspend by? If a team wanted to..... could they overspend their total draft money by 200% or more?

What if you approached a draft year, just like we did the previous J2 cycle, planning on blowing out the bank, but knowing it would cost you the first next year. Take BPA at every spot in the top 10.

So maybe you go with something like
    1 - Wright
    2 - Waters
    3 - Matt Tabor (BA rank #60)
    4 - Tristian Beck (MLB rank #41)
    5 - Alex Scheref (BA rank #59)

..... and so on and so forth, literally thrown signability/slots out the window and pick BPA for the first 15ish rounds.

You could end up drafting a bunch of guys that slot into top-100 rankings and finish with a super deep class at the cost of one high-draft pick the following season.

Unless there is a hard cap that I'm ignorant of.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    I am ecstatic about our draft so far.

We've gotten the #2 and #23 guys on Baseball America. Tarnok has a big, projectable frame and is drawing deGrom comps. Bacon could be a nice piece in the pen. Rodgers has plus defense at 3B and can hit a bit (was on of the top seniors in the draft). Then we've got some wild card senior arms and could be adding a huge piece or a few solid pieces on day 3.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    here's a strategy question I've mulled over in my head..... I know if you outspend you draft allotment by more than 10% you lose the first round pick next year.... does anyone know if there's a hard cap on how much you can actually overspend by? If a team wanted to..... could they overspend their total draft money by 200% or more?

What if you approached a draft year, just like we did the previous J2 cycle, planning on blowing out the bank, but knowing it would cost you the first next year. Take BPA at every spot in the top 10.

So maybe you go with something like
    1 - Wright
    2 - Waters
    3 - Matt Tabor (BA rank #60)
    4 - Tristian Beck (MLB rank #41)
    5 - Alex Scheref (BA rank #59)

..... and so on and so forth, literally thrown signability/slots out the window and pick BPA for the first 15ish rounds.

You could end up drafting a bunch of guys that slot into top-100 rankings and finish with a super deep class at the cost of one high-draft pick the following season.

Unless there is a hard cap that I'm ignorant of.
    5-10% you loose 1st rounder
    10-15% you loose 1 and 2nd rounder
    +15% you loose 1st rounder for next two.

Plus you pay a tax.. on all overage. so your theory would really cost a crap ton of money and ruin the next 2 drafts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    I think the 3 best drafts so far are Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Atlanta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    I think there is a 100% tax at some point so you end up paying double. Also think the penalties go up to losing two first round picks. Might be a viable strategy one year if we have a high draft pick but the Braves are having a Good season. We don't want to lose a topn10 pick but if we are likely to be picking in the late 20's it might be worth it. Doubt it happens though.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Did we draft the son of Stan Belinda?
    Forever Fredi

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Water's quote.. looks like he is going to sign pretty easy..

“It was good for me, and I was looking forward to agreeing to what they had to offer. He did say that I was going hunting for a weekend with (former Braves third baseman) Chipper Jones,” Waters said. “It was just a dream come true. When I had the opportunity to sign and play professional baseball for them, it was a no-doubter. I’m a huge fan, and now my dreams came true and I’m actually playing for them.”

full article..

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/...156018669.html
    Nice! He's definitely been a Braves fan for a while. Found this picture of him from the past year or two....

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    do you think we would draft Wright (or anyone at #5 for that matter) without a fairly good idea of what it would take to sign him
    No.

That isn't support for your theory though, which could be right, I don't know.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Plus you pay a tax.. on all overage. so your theory would really cost a crap ton of money and ruin the next 2 drafts.

I read an article last night suggesting that a team could still make a big run one year when there was a special player in the draft and suffer the consequences.

If you are the Yankees drafting in the 20s and a generational prospect is out there. you could offer him 15 million and get him to instruct teams to pass on him. Then do the same with whichever other tough signs look like they are going to school.

Would it be worth two first round picks in the 20s and a second round, and some money, to have Brice Harper or Strasburg or the equivalent. You still would have the ability to take shots in the draft which is a notorious crapshoot. You could divert the money into free agency, etc.

You sign a generational talent and maybe two other first round type guys and talent throughout. You get the generational talent and a big haul from a low draft position. I'm not sure that would not be worth it fora team expecting to be good.

I think that's why they keep pushing the penalty up. So far no one has tried it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

hmmm, good info that I didn't know.... the money doesn't matter to me - obviously the Braves would feel differently - I still wonder if there was a scenario here where it would make sense.....

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I read an article last night suggesting that a team could still make a big run one year when there was a special player in the draft and suffer the consequences.

If you are the Yankees drafting in the 20s and a generational prospect is out there. you could offer him 15 million and get him to instruct teams to pass on him. Then do the same with whichever other tough signs look like they are going to school.

Would it be worth two first round picks in the 20s and a second round, and some money, to have Brice Harper or Strasburg or the equivalent. You still would have the ability to take shots in the draft which is a notorious crapshoot. You could divert the money into free agency, etc.

You sign a generational talent and maybe two other first round type guys and talent throughout. You get the generational talent and a big haul from a low draft position. I'm not sure that would not be worth it fora team expecting to be good.

I think that's why they keep pushing the penalty up. So far no one has tried it though.
    Never work. A Harper would never fall to 20 something regardless of what he said. Plus that is a rule violation that would be investigated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

It makes sense to me, but not if you project to be bad for the next couple of years, you certainly don't want to forfeit top-5 picks..... but if you are going to pick in the 20s? Yea, why not try to float a big name down to you and then go BPA throughout, spend huge money and bring in 15ish guys that have some chance at doing something.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    At what point do you put him on a phone with Dansby?
    "Hey Dansby, we want to offer your friend less money than what he wants. Care to help?"

We knew Wright's price when we selected him. Sure we could haggle with him over a few thousand bucks, but what if he does go back to school? Good luck getting a player of his caliber next year at #6.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 06-14-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Seems we're spreading it out and getting multiple juniors.

Drew Lugbauer from Michigan is our 11th rounder. Significant power from the left side of the plate. Listed as catcher.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ24 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Folks suggesting Wright only fell to 5 because the Braves already arranged an over slot deal with him that teams picking 1-4 wouldn't match have a very solid point. Bridges suggests in his interviews that they didn't expect Wright to be there, so I doubt they had a pre-draft deal set up, but if they did then the Braves have to honor it.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-14-2017 at 11:15 AM.