Where is our Catcher? That's gotta be next

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    One year too late getting UT third baseman.
    Maybe. I like Senzel fine, but I'll be honest...glad to have Anderson right now. I don't think Senzel ends up being all that (aka worthy of a top 3 pick).
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Langston Hughes. Great writer. Didn't know he played baseball. What's that? Landon Hughes. Oh, that's completely different.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (06-13-2017), jpx7 (06-13-2017), The Chosen One (06-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Continuing with the college senior pitching... Whoever said we will likely go seniors through round 10 appears to be onto something. Not a bad plan at all considering the high ceiling guys we got in the first 3 rounds.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Seems weird to me that we have arguable the top farm system in the game and the #5 draft pick becomes our top prospect. Personally I would put him behind Acuna/Allard/Soroka/Maitan. Albies is free falling imo. I question his ability to make an impact at the ML level. His best bet to be an impact player would be to put up an elite OBP and I am doubting he will do that. Seems like a slightly below average bat(mostly due to lack of power, I expect about a .350 OBP) who will be slightly above average overall due to good defense. I know people will take this as a knock on him but being a solid starting 2B is still pretty good, especially while he is cheap. Wright I see as a #3 starter and I would take that over a slightly above average 2B.
    Because Wright was not the #5 talent...he was the #1 or #2 talent.

I'm not sure folks around here are realizing just how great Wright falling to the Braves at 5 truly was. They added a legit Top 20-25 guy yesterday. The only prospects in the system who are close to that are Albies and Acuna. If you think Albies' stock has dropped somewhat, and if you think Acuna's sky-high BABIP was luck, it is easy to argue Wright as #1 in the system.

Personally, I think he is #2 behind Albies, only because much of Acuna's statistical success was based on that insanely unsustainable BABIP.

The Braves likely have 3 guys in the Top 25 by mid-season...and that is AFTER Swanson graduated to MLB.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Landon Hughes. He's a local kid who went to Sprayberry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Agree. I think Albies is mostly a victim of prospect fatigue and size. IF he's at 2B the power becomes more of an issue.

Klaw follows his opinions and his people's. He's not a Soroka guy. He might have him in the top 100 but he might not. He doesn't seem to think Soroka is good, despite his success at at a young age. I recall a chat where Soroka came up and Klaw listed other guys that did great in the minors at a young age and nobody had ever heard of them.

Maitan still hasn't played in a game that is publicly available.

Klaw is REALLY high on Wright. I think most things I've read have been more in line with Enchesff (spelling?) calling Wright a 3, maybe a very good 3. Klaw has him as a 2 with 1 potential. I don't think I've seen anyone else suggest a 1 for Wright.
    I would be curious how many of those starters that did very well at a young age were also high round draft picks. I think Albies is like Profar in that he is just reaching his ceiling at a young age but that doesnt mean he has a high upside.

I am okay with Wright because he will help soon and he hasnt had any durability issues but I am not high on him. Just dont like college starters. I know he supposedly throws mid 90's but I bet he is throwing 90-92 when he hits the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Still a lot of doubts about the major-league offensive capability of the first two, while Maitan—albeit supremely talented—is very far away. So I would say that it definitely is—though I don't actually think Rodgers does much for it (but that's why the play the games and all that jazz).

Hard to find prospects without some doubts about their major league offensive capability.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Yeah, unnecessary exaggeration on my part. Bowman speculates Waters/Wright will eat up close to 7.5 million between the two of them, which is 3/4 of our budget.

Beck is going back to school for sure.
    Max money the Braves can spend without being penalized a draft pick is $10,375,260.

Assuming Wright takes ~$6M and Waters takes ~$1.8M, that leaves $2,575,260 left over. Subtract ~$1M to sign the rounds 3-10 guys, and there is $1.5M and change to offer Beck over the $125k value of late picks.

Is $1.6M enough to get Beck to skip going back to school? I'd like for the Braves to find out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (06-13-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I'm not sure folks around here are realizing just how great Wright falling to the Braves at 5 truly was. They added a legit Top 20-25 guy yesterday. The only prospects in the system who are close to that are Albies and Acuna. If you think Albies' stock has dropped somewhat, and if you think Acuna's sky-high BABIP was luck, it is easy to argue Wright as #1 in the system.

Personally, I think he is #2 behind Albies, only because much of Acuna's statistical success was based on that insanely unsustainable BABIP.

The Braves likely have 3 guys in the Top 25 by mid-season...and that is AFTER Swanson graduated to MLB.
    I agree with this, but I believe Allard will be between 25-30 as well.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I think we all realized Acuna was the fortunate bystander of some unbelievable BABIP, but his tools are all legit, as a positional player with 5 above-average / plus tools... I'd have him above Wright.

My top two are Albies/Acuna, I'm still inclined to put Soroka #3 and have Wright at #4, but I can see the argument for Wright in front of Soroka.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Landon Hughes. Looks like he's got the New York Mets' pitching staff hairstyle! Link: http://www.gseagles.com/roster.aspx?...&path=baseball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Landon Hughes not ranked by BA. Forgot to post my pick. I would have taken HS RHP Hunter Ruth. Braves should like him he is coming off TJ surgery. Was trending upwards before the injury and likely would have been a top 50 guy. Mid 90's fastball, flashed plus slider and some scouts say one of the best changeups among HS RH pitchers.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Landon Hughes not ranked by BA. Forgot to post my pick. I would have taken HS RHP Hunter Ruth. Braves should like him he is coming off TJ surgery. Was trending upwards before the injury and likely would have been a top 50 guy. Mid 90's fastball, flashed plus slider and some scouts say one of the best changeups among HS RH pitchers.
    He's a Florida commit from Gainesville. Would take a ton of money that we do not have.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Landon Hughes. Looks like he's got the New York Mets' pitching staff hairstyle! Link: http://www.gseagles.com/roster.aspx?...&path=baseball
    Oh lordy, he's teammates with Jordan Wren! Surprised the Braves will associate with any prospects just one degree removed from the Wren household.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    We are seeing today how much the pointless hot streak hurt us last year. If we lost the last game of the year, we would've had an extra $2 million to work with. So we still could've gotten Wright there and Waters in the second, but we would've had more money to play with in the later rounds and not been stuck to these pointless picks that are purely money driven.

Even though I'm thrilled with Wright and Waters, we are seeing the impact today of a rebuilding team winning pointless games down the stretch.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2017), NYCBrave (06-13-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    looks like a fit Norwegian... someone is going to be happy..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I think Landon could make something if everything broke right. Our bullpen was LEGIT.
    Ivermectin Man

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    http://www.tbo.com/sports/baseballpr...tarnok/2327138

Move to the mound pays off for TARNOK

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Oh lordy, he's teammates with Jordan Wren! Surprised the Braves will associate with any prospects just one degree removed from the Wren household.
    We know who the Red Sox will be drafting at some point.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (06-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    We are seeing today how much the pointless hot streak hurt us last year. If we lost the last game of the year, we would've had an extra $2 million to work with. So we still could've gotten Wright there and Waters in the second, but we would've had more money to play with in the later rounds and not been stuck to these pointless picks that are purely money driven.

Even though I'm thrilled with Wright and Waters, we are seeing the impact today of a rebuilding team winning pointless games down the stretch.
    All these picks today point to 1 of 2 scenarios:

1. The Braves are going WAY over slot on their 11th round pick, or
    2. Wright/Waters are going to cost more than the $7M-$8M everyone assumes.