Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    All these picks today point to 1 of 2 scenarios:

1. The Braves are going WAY over slot on their 11th round pick, or
    2. Wright/Waters are going to cost more than the $7M-$8M everyone assumes.
    this. I don't see any other options. I think we are going for something in the 11th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Not going to make it much longer. Going to throw out my remaining picks before round 10 and change it later if someone takes the player before our pick.

Rd 8 - HS catcher Spencer Smith - solid defender with big power.

Rd 9 - HS RHP Gavin Williams - 6-6 200 pounds throws low 90's. Some scouts project him to reach triple digits which could give him an 80 grade fastball. Most likely a reliever.

rd 10 - HS LHP Jordan Fowler - Projectable arm that needs to add strength.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Do they need to wait for the 11th round? The slot values depreciate quickly after the 7th round or so. The 8-10 rounds are "only" $170K or less. Wouldn't it be worth the risk to get the jump on other teams and risk forfeiting that little bit of slot money?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Do they need to wait for the 11th round? The slot values depreciate quickly after the 7th round or so. The 8-10 rounds are "only" $170K or less. Wouldn't it be worth the risk to get the jump on other teams and risk forfeiting that little bit of slot money?
    It's not likely to be a race.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    They need to build up as much extra money as possible. The only way to do that is in the first 10 rounds. Every dollar they save in rounds 3-10 is money they can splurge with in round 11...and not the other way around...there is no money to save past round 10.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think that's why they started going with likely low-balls relatively early so they could save money for someone near the end of the first ten rounds or right after the tenth round.

I see the Williams from Georgia who is a C/OF hasn't been drafted yet. Not saying they are saving it for him, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's someone like him. Similar to Matt Rowland last year who signed for $400,000.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2017)

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Gotcha. Ok, all these slot rules and allotments are somewhat confusing for me. Clearly I would misplay the draft game. haha

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    The reason is so you actually get the slot values for those rounds in case the person doesn't sign. That allows you to take chances on multiple tough sign players after round 10 and be able to give the money to whoever will take it. Honestly the way the draft is set up now, I'd pretty much be happy with the Braves signing college senior/low cost signings every year with picks 4-10 and throwing that money at other players from rounds 11-40. It's a good strategy I think.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    also in Round 11, you don't loose the slot value (100K) if he doesn't sign. So you make you move in 11 so him not signing has zero impact on the rest of your picks..

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Looks like the Braves have senioritis. Here's Curtis' bio: http://lrbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1289

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (06-13-2017), jpx7 (06-13-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    We are seeing today how much the pointless hot streak hurt us last year. If we lost the last game of the year, we would've had an extra $2 million to work with. So we still could've gotten Wright there and Waters in the second, but we would've had more money to play with in the later rounds and not been stuck to these pointless picks that are purely money driven.

Even though I'm thrilled with Wright and Waters, we are seeing the impact today of a rebuilding team winning pointless games down the stretch.
    Meh our farm system is deep enough as is. Not like we need a ton of extra players on it.

If we just got Wright, Waters, and meh players, thats fine. But even still, not sure how the extra money changes much even if we're picking top 3. Wright and Waters still cost a ton to sign.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Meh our farm system is deep enough as is. Not like we need a ton of extra players on it.

If we just got Wright, Waters, and meh players, thats fine. But even still, not sure how the extra money changes much even if we're picking top 3. Wright and Waters still cost a ton to sign.
    losing one more game would have put us in the tie with everyone but Min. (I think) We had the tie breaker on them all or most at least. So one loss would have us picking second or third. That would have increased our total money by a few million. He is saying that we could have picked both guys and paid them what we are going to pay them and have more money left to play with. but I doubt they sign for the same. Wright at 2 would probably seek a little higher than we are going to pay him. but I get what he is saying.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    losing one more game would have put us in the tie with everyone but Min. (I think) We had the tie breaker on them all or most at least. So one loss would have us picking second or third. That would have increased our total money by a few million. He is saying that we could have picked both guys and paid them what we are going to pay them and have more money left to play with. but I doubt they sign for the same. Wright at 2 would probably seek a little higher than we are going to pay him. but I get what he is saying.
    I get what hes saying, but i also doubt Waters, Wright are signing for much cheaper than they are.

Higher they're picked, more money they'll want more than likely.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Wright at 2? Would have been Greene at 2!!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

You don't think an extra $2 million would've changed anything for our draft?

Saying that the farm system is deep enough is kind of crazy. If that's the case, why trade any veterans at the deadline?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Wright at 2? Would have been Greene at 2!!
    would we have had the 2 or would it have been 3.. I don't remember if we had the tie breaker on Cincy. either way, it wasn't really the point. Having #2 or #3 would have given us more money to play with.. even if we picked the exact same people.. They would have asked for more, but not enough to make up the slot increase the Braves would have gotten...

If you want to go deeper, if we had the #2 pick, would we have taken Wright or Greene? Would they have monkeyed around for under/over slot. maybe #5 was a blessing in disguise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    would we have had the 2 or would it have been 3.. I don't remember if we had the tie breaker on Cincy. either way, it wasn't really the point. Having #2 or #3 would have given us more money to play with.. even if we picked the exact same people.. They would have asked for more, but not enough to make up the slot increase the Braves would have gotten...

If you want to go deeper, if we had the #2 pick, would we have taken Wright or Greene? Would they have monkeyed around for under/over slot. maybe #5 was a blessing in disguise.
    We would've been second with one extra loss.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    You don't think an extra $2 million would've changed anything for our draft?

Saying that the farm system is deep enough is kind of crazy. If that's the case, why trade any veterans at the deadline?
    Im sure it changes some yes, but not the entire draft.

Trade vets at the deadline so younger players can play. And if a team overpays, never hurts to pick up the phone and listen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If pressed to guess, I bet Wright signs for slot and Waters is an over slot sign, which means the next couple picks are going to be some money savers.
    And likely high schoolers that aren't committed to D1 schools or college seniors.