Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Draft Day, Post-Draft Thread

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I mean, sure, that's an option. But at a point you have to ask if that's the hill you want to die on.
    It has nothing to do with it being a hill to die on really, slot value for our pick is 5.7 mil. He's already dropped to 5th in this draft because he wouldn't cut a deal, and he's not going to get more money as a senior, because he will have zero leverage at all then. There is zero point for us to go crazy over slot to sign him, he really doesn't have much leverage. Even giving him overslot at all is being generous.

If he's dumb enough to go back into the draft next year as a senior, then oh well, with have the sixth pick next year instead of him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    This makes no sense at all to me. Why would we pay 1.3 mil over slot to sign him? 7 mil is top 2 money, Wright would have to be a complete idiot to go back into the draft next year and hope the exact same thing didn't happen again (and it would, no teams have signed the #1 pick to full slot value really). Given the worst thing that happens is we get the #6 pick next year, I'm not really seeing the point of doing that. He's a nice prospect who I like a bunch, but he's not that great.
    Not to mention, he loses all negotiating power next year as a senior. There is zero way he can expect to get an offer much more than 6 million, whether it be this year or next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    I think that's a good idea. Offer him slot and tell him take it or go back to college. Maybe offer him a 1% over slot deal at the last minute. Not a fan of this draft class, don't know what next year holds but it has to be better than this year.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Got it. But it still doesn't really make a ton of sense to wait until Round 11 to go over for somebody, unless it's someone you're not sure you can sign. And I hope we're not passing on better talent in rounds 3-5 just to take a shot at a guy we're not sure we can sign.
    It really should, because you lose that pool money if you don't sign a player in rounds 1-10, whereas you're basically just given the amount in rounds 11-40. Not signing a guy in round 11 doesn't affect your ability to sign other players. Not signing your 10th round pick drops your overall pool for everybody. Also, any amount saved in 1-10 applies to your pool, while no savings after 10 can go toward anything.

Granted, it's a near-negligible amount, but you have a low chance of signing any top prospect that is left at this point as it as.

To give an example:

Round 10 we draft/sign Joe CollegeSenior for $10,000
    Round 11 we draft Bobby HardSign

By giving Joe CollegeSenior only $10,000 of the $133,000 bonus allotted, we add $123,000 to our overall bonus pool. This can then be used toward giving Bobby HardSign as $250,000 bonus.

If we draft Bobby HardSign in Round 10 and Joe CollegeSenior in Round 11 we then do one of two things:

1) We sign Bobby HardSign for $250,000 and Joe CollegeSenior for anywhere up to $125,000. We get the same two guys but lose $123,000 of our draft pool.

2) We fail to sign Bobby HardSign and lose the $133,000 from our overall draft pool.
    Last edited by mqt; 06-14-2017 at 06:05 AM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If I'm the Braves, I offer Wright $6M and tell him he can either be a multi-millionaire professional pitcher, or he can go back to Vandy and try to make more money next year as a college senior with no leverage.

No way do I ever let a kid hold the organization hostage with salary demands.
    This! He's not going back to Vandy and risk injury or something happening to try to gain an extra mil. He be insane to do that. Even if he did the Braves would have possibly 2 Top 10 picks next year. So if I'm the Braves I'll hold firm to slot possible under slot and let his camp make the decision.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    It has nothing to do with it being a hill to die on really, slot value for our pick is 5.7 mil. He's already dropped to 5th in this draft because he wouldn't cut a deal, and he's not going to get more money as a senior, because he will have zero leverage at all then. There is zero point for us to go crazy over slot to sign him, he really doesn't have much leverage. Even giving him overslot at all is being generous.

If he's dumb enough to go back into the draft next year as a senior, then oh well, with have the sixth pick next year instead of him.
    All of this! Wright has little to no leverage in this situation. If he goes back to school he'll lose money even if he's the #1 pick next year because Seniors have NO LEVERAGE other than saying that they're not going to play baseball. If I'm the Braves I offer him slot or slightly under slot.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I think that's a good idea. Offer him slot and tell him take it or go back to college. Maybe offer him a 1% over slot deal at the last minute. Not a fan of this draft class, don't know what next year holds but it has to be better than this year.
    I liked the 1st 3 picks but after that it went down hill and fast! Hopefully they take a bunch of high upside guys 11-20 and sign a couple.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'm sure the braves have had conversations about what it takes to sign him. He might have fallen to us bc of back channel work with the braves to not take number 1 below slot.

He does not have leverage. Nor do the braves want to be seen as petty or cheap. I think he gets 10 percent over slot

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (06-14-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm sure the braves have had conversations about what it takes to sign him. He might have fallen to us bc of back channel work with the braves to not take number 1 below slot.

He does not have leverage. Nor do the braves want to be seen as petty or cheap. I think he gets 10 percent over slot
    This is part of it here, the Braves may have promised him a number that helped grease the skids for Wright to slide to us. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we need to go overslot to sign him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I suspect we have a deal (over slot) in place with Wright. Having a deal with us allowed him to play hard ball with the four teams drafting ahead of us, which in turn led to his dropping to us. Maybe our FO and Wright are not so Machiavellian. But I think it is a possibility. I do not think we would have drafted him without a fairly good idea of what it would take to sign him.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2017)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    I liked the 1st 3 picks but after that it went down hill and fast! Hopefully they take a bunch of high upside guys 11-20 and sign a couple.
    Don't really care about rounds 4-10. What are the odds of finding a good MLB player in those rounds?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I suspect we have a deal (over slot) in place with Wright. Having a deal with us allowed him to play hard ball with the four teams drafting ahead of us, which in turn led to his dropping to us. Maybe our FO and Wright are not so Machiavellian. But I think it is a possibility. I do not think we would have drafted him without a fairly good idea of what it would take to sign him.
    maybe, but there doesn't seem to be anything supporting that suspicion that I've seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I like what I've read about the guy we picked in the fourth round. Could be another Weigel.

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    maybe, but there doesn't seem to be anything supporting that suspicion that I've seen.
    do you think we would draft Wright (or anyone at #5 for that matter) without a fairly good idea of what it would take to sign him

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Again...slot money...I hate it. You just pick a guy at your spot (nothing crazy....just picking the guy that falls to you), and either have to forfeit your 3-10 picks just to sign the guy or he just says no "no thanks" and withdraws. Am I the only one that sees that as ridiculous ?? So either give them more slot cash or put a cap on what can be paid. It's really simple. At least for the first round ??

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    what time does the party start today?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Again...slot money...I hate it. You just pick a guy at your spot (nothing crazy....just picking the guy that falls to you), and either have to forfeit your 3-10 picks just to sign the guy or he just says no "no thanks" and withdraws. Am I the only one that sees that as ridiculous ?? So either give them more slot cash or put a cap on what can be paid. It's really simple. At least for the first round ??
    I can't see what benefit the current system provides over having a hard figure assigned to each spot. Right now teams are intentionally deflating the salaries of rounds 3-10, which seems like something the union would dislike. I imagine the teams would prefer to be able to just draft BPA as well, so I must be missing something. Surely someone thinks all this complexity benefits them.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If I'm the Braves, I offer Wright $6M and tell him he can either be a multi-millionaire professional pitcher, or he can go back to Vandy and try to make more money next year as a college senior with no leverage.

No way do I ever let a kid hold the organization hostage with salary demands.
    At what point do you put him on a phone with Dansby?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    The picks 4-10 had to happen. Everyone knew this. It was the necessary strategy to get 3 fantastic talents. Quality vs quantity. We've done plenty of the other way. That's not what we needed this year.

I also wouldn't get too excited about the rest of the picks. We may take a chance but the odds are probably low.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 06-14-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    what time does the party start today?
    12:00