Thread: Official Draft Day, Post-Draft Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Neither was Tarnok....
    Sure, but we knew what it would take to sign Tarnok when we drafted him. He had very late helium and was probably much higher on team boards.

Again, none of this is a surprise to the Braves. Didn't we all do this last year, too? And everything turned out just fine.

If we suddenly only had $50,000 available, I might be worried as well. But $370,000 should be plenty to sign Bacon.

We are way out in front of other teams in getting all these guys signed. You don't think we might be taking a bit more time if we were actually in danger of not signing Bacon and losing a draft pick?
    Last edited by smootness; 06-19-2017 at 09:21 AM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Again, none of this is a surprise to the Braves. Didn't we all do this last year, too? And everything turned out just fine.
    Didn't we have to renege on a deal with a player because we mismanaged the budget?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    they wouldn't have picked him without knowing what he would sign for. They wouldn't have signed Tarnok overslot without having a really good idea of Bacon's number.

We're not going to forfeit a draft pick.
    Still doesn't make me feel better about having our entire draft come down to something like that without knowing the other guys have signed and what they've signed for. I agree that they have no intentions of surrendering a pick - that won't keep me from worrying until everyone's had physicals and signed.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Sure, but we knew what it would take to sign Tarnok when we drafted him. He had very late helium and was probably much higher on team boards.

If we suddenly only had $50,000 available, I might be worried as well. But $370,000 should be plenty to sign Bacon.

We are way out in front of other teams in getting all these guys signed. You don't think we might be taking a bit more time if we were actually in danger of not signing Bacon and losing a draft pick?
    Just makes people feel better when those reports are coming from somewhere other than the players' Twitter pages. The only CONFIRMED signings thus far are the top three guys.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Didn't we have to renege on a deal with a player because we mismanaged the budget?
    Yes, but that was a guy drafted in the 16th round. Losing his slot value didn't mean anything. The guys drafted in the first 10 rounds, you want to have a very good idea of what they'll sign for before you draft them. After that, it doesn't matter nearly enough. We gave Anthony an original offer we could afford, he said no, we thought we had more to offer but it turned out we had not fully done enough calculations on that.

Regardless, that's an entirely different deal. We thought we had more after signing the top 10 round guys than we did. But the top 10 rounds are handled in an entirely different manner.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Just makes people feel better when those reports are coming from somewhere other than the players' Twitter pages. The only CONFIRMED signings thus far are the top three guys.
    And we were ahead of other teams in getting their top guys signed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    They were unable to offer the contract they thought they could to a kid drafted after the tenth pick, yes.

They didn't fail to sign a top 10 pick or forfeit slots in the next draft.

I'd probably default to everything ping to plan rather than assuming a massive screw up but either is a valid decision I guess.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Still doesn't make me feel better about having our entire draft come down to something like that without knowing the other guys have signed and what they've signed for. I agree that they have no intentions of surrendering a pick - that won't keep me from worrying until everyone's had physicals and signed.
    You can worry about It, but it'd be shocking news since no team has ever screwed it up.

On the other hand if they go over let's hope they really go over. Might even be worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Yes, but that was a guy drafted in the 16th round. Losing his slot value didn't mean anything. The guys drafted in the first 10 rounds, you want to have a very good idea of what they'll sign for before you draft them. After that, it doesn't matter nearly enough. We gave Anthony an original offer we could afford, he said no, we thought we had more to offer but it turned out we had not fully done enough calculations on that.

Regardless, that's an entirely different deal. We thought we had more after signing the top 10 round guys than we did. But the top 10 rounds are handled in an entirely different manner.
    I'm not saying they're apples to apples.

Just saying they have shown incompetence before

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You can worry about It, but it'd be shocking news since no team has ever screwed it up.

On the other hand if they go over let's hope they really go over. Might even be worth it.
    Except they didn't draft to really go over.... we talked about it in the draft thread; it might be worth it to pay the tax and surrender picks if you go BPA at every spot and just go balls out for one class, but that isn't what we did this year.

There's no way they bungled this, no team ever has. They know what Bacon is going to sign for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I'm not saying they're apples to apples.

Just saying they have shown incompetence before
    Not really applicable at all, as others have pointed out - the top-10 picks are a different animal than the rest. They made a mistake, but they pick guys in the top-10 with that budget very much in mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Not really applicable at all, as others have pointed out - the top-10 picks are a different animal than the rest. They made a mistake, but they pick guys in the top-10 with that budget very much in mind.
    The comment I was responding implied that the Braves know what they're doing with managing budget.

Last year - while a different scenario - they proved they didn't.

Again, it's really OK to criticize the FO every now and then. God knows they've earned it.

i'm uncomfortable as well with how little room we have... but yes, I do assume the Braves are prepared and are aware. Otherwise, they all should truly be fired for incompetence.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    The comment I was responding implied that the Braves know what they're doing with managing budget.

Again, it's really OK to criticize the FO every now and then. God knows they've earned it.

i'm uncomfortable as well with how little room we have... but yes, I do assume the Braves are prepared and are aware. Otherwise, they all should truly be fired for incompetence.
    If they screwed up the entire draft (which is a small possibility since they should have signed all the low money picks before committing huge money to Wright), the pozzy-Barves will still be here spinning and derping to defend them haha.

I don't think there's more than a 5% chance they have screwed this up though. This FO is average, and average FOs can handle the draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

No, the post you quoted was talking about everyone freaking out last year because we didn't have all of the top 10 guys signed and weren't sure we would be able to, and yet we did. And that is exactly what is going to happen this year as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I don't think what happened last year "proves they don't know what they're doing with the budget."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Except they didn't draft to really go over.... we talked about it in the draft thread; it might be worth it to pay the tax and surrender picks if you go BPA at every spot and just go balls out for one class, but that isn't what we did this year.

There's no way they bungled this, no team ever has. They know what Bacon is going to sign for.
    Yeah, I'm with you.

But if they somehow did go over there are some guys they drafted who are going to college now who are prospects. Might as well sign them all.

I don't think it's realistic that they screwed this up though.

I suspect they sign bacon with room for a couple modest overslots down the draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    No, the post you quoted was talking about everyone freaking out last year because we didn't have all of the top 10 guys signed and weren't sure we would be able to, and yet we did. And that is exactly what is going to happen this year as well.
    That's exactly what is going to happen almost every year because teams are going to blow through most of their cap in the first ten picks and the idea is to spend it all.

It should always be tight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts

I'm not worried. Was just making a point. Bacon could easily go to Miss State and build more value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Yes it is perfectly fine to criticize the FO, but you're bringing up a point that really isn't applicable IMO.

And yes, screwing up something in the top 10 that forfeits a draft pick would be inexcusable.

But this is much ado about nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Yes it is perfectly fine to criticize the FO, but you're bringing up a point that really isn't applicable IMO.

And yes, screwing up something in the top 10 that forfeits a draft pick would be inexcusable.

But this is much ado about nothing.
    I've never seen such sensitivity about the FO in my 20 years of being a Braves fan.

It's almost gotten political