Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Are you buying tickets to see Matt Kemp suck?
    I have, yes. Since you love Mallex so much, let us know when you go see him play in the Trop - the rest of us might want to go too.

Actually, while you're at it, how about sharing how many times you've been to the park.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I feel like the Braves could have still traded Mallex (or kept him) and then picked up an OF like Kemp for less of a commitment.

How to value a clean 2020 payroll?
    I mean is 8.5 million in 2020 really worth worrying about? That would cover a bench player by then.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I have, yes. Since you love Mallex so much, let us know when you go see him play in the Trop - the rest of us might want to go too.

Actually, while you're at it, how about sharing how many times you've been to the park.
    So you are the type of fan the Front Office fooled this year? Nice.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Enscheff (07-27-2017), sturg33 (07-27-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    So you are the type of fan the Front Office fooled this year? Nice.
    They sure fooled me - I thought that Big Sexy, Dickey, Kemp, and Dat Dude made them the hands-down favorites to run the table on everyone.

Have you guys ever dealt with the reality that life isn't a black-and-white world? The on-field product is much improved over last season, and help's on the way. The park is an awesome place to visit - whether you're a baseball fan or a numbers-freak. I wouldn't trade the fact that I got to see the first official game in it for every spreadsheet you guys can find - even if each of you autographed them!!!

Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (07-27-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    They sure fooled me - I thought that Big Sexy, Dickey, Kemp, and Dat Dude made them the hands-down favorites to run the table on everyone.

Have you guys ever dealt with the reality that life isn't a black-and-white world? The on-field product is much improved over last season, and help's on the way. The park is an awesome place to visit - whether you're a baseball fan or a numbers-freak. I wouldn't trade the fact that I got to see the first official game in it for every spreadsheet you guys can find - even if each of you autographed them!!!

They got you bro

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    They got you bro
    You do have to admit that even if you don't agree with a lot of the moves made to get us here, we are sitting in a pretty good spot going forward. The park and surrounding area are legitimately great, we have at least some hope for the future on the current team, and we have a whole bunch of reinforcements on the way.

Sure, we can disagree about how best to maximize the spot we're in, but we just have to wait to see the results of those. I am a little confused as to why there are some fans who are seemingly so pissed about everything.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-27-2017), GovClintonTyree (07-27-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Apparently you have no idea how small a minority you're in in that case.
    This thread has turned an interesting direction, so I will chime in.

Most of us here are Braves fans. As a fan, I will HOPE Kemp turns into something better than expected. When he is on a hot streak, I will get excited and hope it is real. I will hope Markakis retains his value and earns his contract. I will be optimistic that the moves they make will turn out well. Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't.

Rebuilds are not linear. On paper, you can say "if they made this move instead of that move..." but in reality the rebuild will eventually hinge on a whole series of things, from drafting, to international signings to trades. Some successes will come from all of those areas.

I really appreciate the knowledge and analysis done by people who post here. I come several times a day because I get a lot more information than I would otherwise have access to. I even appreciate Enscheff's spreadsheets. ;-)

What I don't like is the never ending effort to come up with data to prove the "everything sucks" narrative. I don't see any productive reason to log in every day just to restate again that the FO and the players all suck and they are too stupid to do this rebuild correctly.

I will continue to be a fan, hope all the moves work out well, even though I know that some will and some won't. In the end, I believe we will come out of this rebuild to start another glorious run of competitiveness.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (07-27-2017), clvclv (07-27-2017), GovClintonTyree (07-27-2017), Southcack77 (07-27-2017), Super (07-27-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You do have to admit that even if you don't agree with a lot of the moves made to get us here, we are sitting in a pretty good spot going forward. The park and surrounding area are legitimately great, we have at least some hope for the future on the current team, and we have a whole bunch of reinforcements on the way.

Sure, we can disagree about how best to maximize the spot we're in, but we just have to wait to see the results of those. I am a little confused as to why there are some fans who are seemingly so pissed about everything.
    I do agree that we are in a good spot overall going forward. I just am confused why some people think Kemp is anything but a negative.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    This thread has turned an interesting direction, so I will chime in.

Most of us here are Braves fans. As a fan, I will HOPE Kemp turns into something better than expected. When he is on a hot streak, I will get excited and hope it is real. I will hope Markakis retains his value and earns his contract. I will be optimistic that the moves they make will turn out well. Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't.

Rebuilds are not linear. On paper, you can say "if they made this move instead of that move..." but in reality the rebuild will eventually hinge on a whole series of things, from drafting, to international signings to trades. Some successes will come from all of those areas.

I really appreciate the knowledge and analysis done by people who post here. I come several times a day because I get a lot more information than I would otherwise have access to. I even appreciate Enscheff's spreadsheets. ;-)

What I don't like is the never ending effort to come up with data to prove the "everything sucks" narrative. I don't see any productive reason to log in every day just to restate again that the FO and the players all suck and they are too stupid to do this rebuild correctly.

I will continue to be a fan, hope all the moves work out well, even though I know that some will and some won't. In the end, I believe we will come out of this rebuild to start another glorious run of competitiveness.
    Passionate fans of their teams will always have an opinion whether it's popular or brings the board down. There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling out "moves" that are inherently good or bad. That being said, I love the young talent we have coming. It's exciting and it's an exciting time to be a Brave fan. On the reverse side of that, the MLB team whether they improve one game or ten is still substandard. Maybe we're all spoiled and are ready for the good ol days, but it should be called what it is even it ruffles some feathers and we can't all get along. EVER.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-27-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I mean is 8.5 million in 2020 really worth worrying about? That would cover a bench player by then.
    I can think of scenarios when you might have a problem with it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    In the offseason, would you guys trade Wisler (or Blair) and Kemp to the Royals for Kennedy? No other money exchanging? Kennedy isn't great obviously, and he comes with another year on his contract. But 16 million for a mid-rotation starter isn't bad. Also, it would free open an OF spot for us. Could either put Camargo out there, trade for an OF bat, or possibly sign a FA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I do agree that we are in a good spot overall going forward. I just am confused why some people think Kemp is anything but a negative.
    Kemp completely sucks. That is certainly true.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    In the offseason, would you guys trade Wisler (or Blair) and Kemp to the Royals for Kennedy? No other money exchanging? Kennedy isn't great obviously, and he comes with another year on his contract. But 16 million for a mid-rotation starter isn't bad. Also, it would free open an OF spot for us. Could either put Camargo out there, trade for an OF bat, or possibly sign a FA.
    Without hesitation. I would make almost any deal to get Kemp's money off the books and ass off the field.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I can think of scenarios when you might have a problem with it.
    It could be. That is the season Swanson will likely hit arbitration. I was optimistic about the Kemp deal at the start and clearing that salary for 2020 was part of it. I was almost optimistic he could be at least a 1 WAR player and earn the cost of his additional salary. Doesn't look that likely at this point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Without hesitation. I would make almost any deal to get Kemp's money off the books and ass off the field.
    I would not. You'd have to pay Kennedy 16.5 million in 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I would not. You'd have to pay Kennedy 16.5 million in 2020.
    You'd be saving $11MM combined over the next 2 years. And I think Kennedy is more likely to be worth that $16.5 in 2020 than Kemp is to be worth his money the next two years. That extra year does make it a much tougher decision though.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Passionate fans of their teams will always have an opinion whether it's popular or brings the board down. There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling out "moves" that are inherently good or bad. That being said, I love the young talent we have coming. It's exciting and it's an exciting time to be a Brave fan. On the reverse side of that, the MLB team whether they improve one game or ten is still substandard. Maybe we're all spoiled and are ready for the good ol days, but it should be called what it is even it ruffles some feathers and we can't all get along. EVER.
    I don't think there's a single poster here - posi-Brave or nega-Brave - that hasn't acknowledged that. However, this year's team has certainly been much more entertaining to watch than the early 2016 version. That at least makes fans that actually buy tickets and go out to see the games feel a little better about "wasting" their money.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I'm of the opinion that I don't trust the FO to be able to properly evaluate the optimal strategy for making the Braves great again (MTBGA)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that I don't trust the FO to be able to properly evaluate the optimal strategy for making the Braves great again (MTBGA)
    We're on a pretty good path right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Folks who believe the same FO that brought in HO, Kemp and the trio of Garcia/Colon/Dickey to make the Braves competitive in 2017 is going to suddenly start making awesome decisions with the MLB roster are....not smart.