Page 12 of 141 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'd trade Newcombe and Swanson plus a couple outside our top 5 for archer.

Albies to ss would be an upgrade imo.

No way it happens. Coppy has a ff boner for Swanson

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'd trade Newcombe and Swanson plus a couple outside our top 5 for archer.

Albies to ss would be an upgrade imo.

No way it happens. Coppy has a ff boner for Swanson
    Why trade a guy when his value is at it's likely lowest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm not trading any of our top 6 plus newcomb. Let's role with what we have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    This is the problem with having a stacked farm system. Other teams will demand a higher price because we can afford it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (06-28-2017), Super (06-28-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I know it is only four starts. But I might include folty in a package before newk right now. Personally I don't want to entertain a package for a cheap starter. We already have cheap starters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    Odds are so heavily against a Colome trade working out in our favor. Giving up all those assets for one arm that could blow out at any time. If we make this kind of trade it needs to be the kind that takes us from competitive to world series contenders and not from below .500 to competitive. The goal is to win the world series not just make the playoffs.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The cost of acquiring someone like Archer is prohibitive, in part because of his contract.

But we can pick up a pitcher (like Gray, Samardzija or Cueto) who could help us this year and for a couple years after. Those pitchers are not quite as good as Archer. But they would cost a lot less to acquire, in part because they don't carry the kind of team-friendly contract that Archer does.

We have some money coming off the books in 2018 (from Garcia and Colon). Some of it will be eaten up by raises scheduled to happen. But there should be enough to take on a larger contract. Samardzija for example makes less than the combined salaries of Garcia and Colon.

I think if we offered two of Sims, Touki and Wentz to the Giants for Samardzija, we would have a fair chance of getting a deal done.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-28-2017 at 08:25 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The cost of acquiring someone like Archer is prohibitive, in part because of his contract.

But we can pick up a pitcher (like Gray, Samardzija or Cueto) who could help us this year and for a couple years after. Those pitchers are not quite as good as Archer. But they would cost a lot less to acquire, in part because they don't carry the kind of team-friendly contract that Archer does.

We have some money coming off the books in 2018 (from Garcia and Colon). Some of it will be eaten up by raises scheduled to happen. But there should be enough to take on a larger contract. Samardzija for example makes less than the combined salaries of Garcia and Colon.

I think if we offered two of Sims, Touki and Wentz to the Giants for Samardzija, we would have a fair chance of getting a deal done.
    I think they'd buy him a first class ticket to ATL.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    This is the problem with having a stacked farm system. Other teams will demand a higher price because we can afford it.
    I'm a Celtics fan (judge me all you want lol) and that's our issue. We have so many assets that everyone is asking the moon of Ainge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    no no no derptards, its 1fv=1fv in trades only and that's all GMs see. Market factors don't apply.

Derp on derptards.
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Why trade a guy when his value is at it's likely lowest?
    It wouldn't be if he was the A or B guy for Archer.

Again....Rays aren't taking that. Coppy's not dealing Swanson.

I like Albies better. Always have.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    From Jeff Passan

Among the hottest names on the trade market right now? Brad Hand, of course.
    For those unfamiliar – and outside of those that follow the National League West, that percentage may be quite large – Hand is a left-handed reliever for the San Diego Padres. He is rather good. The Padres moved him to the bullpen after the Marlins designated him for assignment and turned a free pickup into a commodity for whom one evaluator said San Diego wants “a Chapman-type return.”

Yup. Padres GM A.J. Preller is asking for the moon in a Hand deal, believing a thin relief market, Hand’s ability to work multiple days in a row, his left-handedness and his two years of remaining control make him a unique asset. Now, let’s get something straight: He isn’t Aroldis Chapman, and he will not fetch a prospect of Gleyber Torres’ caliber in return.
    If the reliever market is that hot, then Coppy needs to be looking at what's out there for Viz and JJ

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I think Hand would get a good bit more than either Viz or JJ. This goes back to my thing about Viz not fetching something great because he hasn't been as dominant, as healthy, or as consistent as recent RPs traded. I'd still deal him, of course. It just won't be a super impressive return, IMO.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Rick
    12:20 The Braves are rumored to be interested in controllable starters like Gray and Quintana. Is it too soon in their rebuild process to be trying for such an acquisition? I find it difficult to believe that the team could be a legitimate playoff contender even by 2019.
    Dave Cameron
    12:20 The Braves continue to believe that they're better than they are, seemingly.
    I know they want to win soon. They just aren't capable of it.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Rick
    12:20 The Braves are rumored to be interested in controllable starters like Gray and Quintana. Is it too soon in their rebuild process to be trying for such an acquisition? I find it difficult to believe that the team could be a legitimate playoff contender even by 2019.
    Dave Cameron
    12:20 The Braves continue to believe that they're better than they are, seemingly.
    This is one of those statements that is difficult to evaluate without breaking this prediction down to its component parts.

A lot can happen in an offseason, let alone two.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Is he being called up as a bench bat or to showcase him a bit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Rick
    Dave Cameron
    I've been thinking about where the team is going to be on the expected win curve in 2018. The consensus starting this year was 75-80 wins. Based upon first half performance, I've upgraded what I expect from Freeman, Inciarte and Flowers going forward and downgraded what I expect from Teheran. The net is a plus 4 WAR or so relative to the start of the year.

The other thing that factors into 2018 is that we are spending 24.5M this year on salary to Garcia and Colon and getting very little in return. With that kind of money we should be able to buy a couple more wins.

All told, I think we should be about 5 wins better in 2018 that the 75-80 win consensus we had at the start of the 2017 seasons.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I've been thinking about where the team is going to be on the expected win curve in 2018. The consensus starting this year was 75-80 wins. Based upon first half performance, I've upgraded what I expect from Freeman, Inciarte and Flowers going forward and downgraded what I expect from Teheran. The net is a plus 4 WAR or so relative to the start of the year.

The other thing that factors into 2018 is that we are spending 24.5M this year on salary to Garcia and Colon and getting very little in return. With that kind of money we should be able to buy a couple more wins.

All told, I think we should be about 5 wins better in 2018 that the 75-80 win consensus we had at the start of the 2017 seasons.
    There is 32 million coming off between Garcia, Colon, and Dickey (team option). You can clear another 4.5 by trading Johnson at the break, which should be done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    There is 32 million coming off between Garcia, Colon, and Dickey (team option). You can clear another 4.5 by trading Johnson at the break, which should be done.
    we've been getting our money's worth from Johnson and I think Dickey is coming around...im not so sure spending their salaries on alternative players in 2018 would be a plus

"I am your retribution."