Page 18 of 141 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    If the Blue Jays are actually selling, I'd definitely be interested in looking at Marcus Stroman.
    I'd look at Stroman and Donaldson!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    you would be looking at a severely depleted farm system too..

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Oh, I'd look at them. Just like I'd look at getting the Hope Diamond for my wife at Christmas.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (07-04-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    What would it take to get Donaldson this off season?

6-7 WAR at a cost of ~$25M is $20M-$30M in surplus value. I don't have my prospect value spreadsheet handy, but that has to be a Top 25-50 guy plus another significant piece.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What would it take to get Donaldson this off season?

6-7 WAR at a cost of ~$25M is $20M-$30M in surplus value. I don't have my prospect value spreadsheet handy, but that has to be a Top 25-50 guy plus another significant piece.
    I'd imagine talks would start around something like Allard or Soroka + someone in the 8-12ish range on our spec list. The lack of team control + significant arbitration salary would depress the overall package probably, and if we did it during the offseason rather than with deadline premiums. I'd do something like that if we could work out a long-term deal post trade though. Stroman would take that plus another top 10-15ish spec probably, with added team control but less overall value than Donaldson (just based on performance, not projection).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    I'd imagine talks would start around something like Allard or Soroka + someone in the 8-12ish range on our spec list. The lack of team control + significant arbitration salary would depress the overall package probably, and if we did it during the offseason rather than with deadline premiums. I'd do something like that if we could work out a long-term deal post trade though. Stroman would take that plus another top 10-15ish spec probably, with added team control but less overall value than Donaldson (just based on performance, not projection).
    I don't have any issue trading one of them under the right circumstances.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't have any issue trading one of them under the right circumstances.
    Yeah. We're going to have to trade some of our pitching prospects at some point; it has to happen just for our roster construction to work. Might as well do it for a TOR starter or a big 3B bat.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Look at Houston and what they've done. They have the best team in baseball right now and still have one of the top farms in baseball. Their payroll is right where the Braves payroll is now. They have young stars all over the field and budding stars in their minors.

They didn't try to short circuit their rebuild. They sucked for 5 years. But now they have set themselves up to be good for 10 years.

The Braves, if they don't get stupid, are positioned perfectly to be the dominant team in the NL East for the next 10 years. Washington is about to cycle back. They have traded away their future for their chance to win now. The Mets are built on young pitching which is crumbling all around. The Phillies stink and will continue to for a while. The Marlins are being sold and have no pitching an will probably go through a rebuild once new ownership is on board. 2018 shouldn't be the focus outside of natural progression. Trading for expensive short term fixes is a quick way to another rebuild.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Look at Houston and what they've done. They have the best team in baseball right now and still have one of the top farms in baseball. Their payroll is right where the Braves payroll is now. They have young stars all over the field and budding stars in their minors.

They didn't try to short circuit their rebuild. They sucked for 5 years. But now they have set themselves up to be good for 10 years.

The Braves, if they don't get stupid, are positioned perfectly to be the dominant team in the NL East for the next 10 years. Washington is about to cycle back. They have traded away their future for their chance to win now. The Mets are built on young pitching which is crumbling all around. The Phillies stink and will continue to for a while. The Marlins are being sold and have no pitching an will probably go through a rebuild once new ownership is on board. 2018 shouldn't be the focus outside of natural progression. Trading for expensive short term fixes is a quick way to another rebuild.
    Completely agree.

And I'm really not in favor of trading many, if any, of our pitching prospects unless it's an obvious win that helps us for several years. The reason I like having so many pitching prospects is because of the inherent risk. You need a bunch, and we have a bunch. If you want the best chance at a very good pitching staff going forward, you need to hoard them.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Stroman's 60% GB rate would play very well in Suntrust Park.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Stroman's 60% GB rate would play very well in Suntrust Park.
    It's actually been below-average in HR allowed. Above-average in 2B allowed, though, possibly because of the wall in RF? I don't know.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Why dont try to sign Yu Darvish!! Sooner all later the braves need to spend.
    Rotation 2018
    Darvish
    Teheran
    Foltynewicz
    Newcomb
    Dickey

At the trade deadline we can trade Dickey and call up Wright.

At the off season we can trade Teheran and hopefully he get his value back. Trade for more pitchers.

Darvish
    Newcomb
    Foltynewicz
    Wright
    Allard

At the Deadline if we are not in a race we can trade Darvish for more pitchers and call up Soroka.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It's actually been below-average in HR allowed. Above-average in 2B allowed, though, possibly because of the wall in RF? I don't know.
    It's a bit early to make proclamations about how the park plays, but you're 100% correct...this notion that Suntrust is some insane launching pad is a fallacy according to the data available so far.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It's a bit early to make proclamations about how the park plays, but you're 100% correct...this notion that Suntrust is some insane launching pad is a fallacy according to the data available so far.
    Right, we'll need more data to come to a conclusion, but people call it a launching pad obviously solely because of what has happened to this point, yet it hasn't actually happened. It does seem like balls are flying out of there, but maybe that's just because our offense isn't the insane crapfest it was for a couple years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Why dont try to sign Yu Darvish!! Sooner all later the braves need to spend.
    Rotation 2018
    Darvish
    Teheran
    Foltynewicz
    Newcomb
    Dickey

At the trade deadline we can trade Dickey and call up Wright.

At the off season we can trade Teheran and hopefully he get his value back. Trade for more pitchers.

Darvish
    Newcomb
    Foltynewicz
    Wright
    Allard

At the Deadline if we are not in a race we can trade Darvish for more pitchers and call up Soroka.
    You are a delight.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

So much this.

The Braves are the team best equipped to win in the NL East in the post Harper era (assuming he leaves). The Braves have done well for the most part in the rebuild, but they could easily undo it all if they choose to accelerate the rebuild.
    If FF converts to 3B and is competent and/or the Braves find a solid 2-3 WAR 3B
    If Dansby settles in as 3-4 WAR SS
    If Ozzie becomes the 2B version of Dansby
    If Acuna is a 3-4 WAR OF
    If we can get four good starting pitchers out of the prospects...

Then the Braves will become the team to beat in the East. All of those things are extremely possible, but trading some of those ingredients away because We want to win a year early changes the math against us IMO.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    If Harper leaves, I think we're better set up for the future than Washington, but they're going to be in pretty good shape going forward as well.

Rendon - just turned 27
    Turner - just turned 24
    Victor Robles
    Carter Kieboom
    Juan Soto

They have Scherzer signed through 2021 and Strasburg through 2024, and remember that they also have the cash to be a big player in FA.

That's a pretty good core, and they have the ability to add pieces as needed. They also have a very good FO. They're not going anywhere.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Can we add the Brewers as possible suitors for Garcia?

12:02
    Pablo: Think the Brewers will make at least a minor trade to try to compete this year? They have a ton of outfield depth in the minors they could deal.
    12:03
    Dave Cameron: Yeah, they keep hanging around, and barring a huge collapse, definitely won’t be selling now. I could see them going after a Jason Vargas type, the kind of guy who would upgrade their rotation more than some other teams, and who might be able to crack their playoff rotation but wouldn’t in some other cities.

Would Garcia plus a BP arm be enough to get one of their surplus OFers?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

Pablo: Think the Brewers will make at least a minor trade to try to compete this year? They have a ton of outfield depth in the minors they could deal.
    Dave Cameron: Yeah, they keep hanging around, and barring a huge collapse, definitely won’t be selling now. I could see them going after a Jason Vargas type, the kind of guy who would upgrade their rotation more than some other teams, and who might be able to crack their playoff rotation but wouldn’t in some other cities.

One can only hope. I'd be willing to toss in something else slightly more enticing (like Sims or Muller or something) if it got the deal done.

Brinson is untouchable, and Phillips' year in AAA likely means he's not going anywhere or would cost too much, even with all his K's. And I doubt they're going to be selling low on Ray right now.

So I'd go after Trent Clark. He also has a massive K problem but is walking an unbelievable amount and is showing pop.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

I think Garcia + Jose Ramirez (or the like) could net Brett Phillips + filler, with the filler really depending on level.