Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    And more of the same silliness by Braves fans:

12:36
    Warren: What is the maximum return the Braves could get for a Adams or Kemp? Is the market strong enough for these guys for either to net a top-50 prospect?
    Dave Cameron: Heh.
    Dave Cameron: Matt Adams is worth the same nothing prospect he was worth a month ago.
    Dave Cameron: Kemp wouldn’t get claimed on waivers.

Yet the Braves moved Freeman to 3B to make room for Adams. Sigh...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    I think Garcia + Jose Ramirez (or the like) could net Brett Phillips + filler, with the filler really depending on level.
    I just don't think that gets it done. Phillips doesn't project super well to MLB right now because of the K's, but a guy OPS'ing over .900 in AAA with a great arm and supposedly good defense is almost certainly going to command more than that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I just don't think that gets it done. Phillips doesn't project super well to MLB right now because of the K's, but a guy OPS'ing over .900 in AAA with a great arm and supposedly good defense is almost certainly going to command more than that.
    I wish the Braves could find a team with a guy in AA that projects as a RHed 4th OFer capable of playing a few games per month in CF. That is exactly the piece they need to make Kemp in LF work long term.

Basically DPete if he was a 60 or better defender.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Warren: What is the maximum return the Braves could get for a Adams or Kemp? Is the market strong enough for these guys for either to net a top-50 prospect?
    Dave Cameron: Matt Adams is worth the same nothing prospect he was worth a month ago.

Even if Adams' value has gone up slightly based on his offense since the trade, we're not likely to get much more than Yepez back because we just traded Yepez for him. So teams are going to use that to keep his value down unless there's some kind of bidding war, and I can't see that happening.

Playing Freeman at 3B is very dumb. Frankly, I'm ok if they keep Adams around, but it should be as a bench bat, not as an everyday 1B.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I wish the Braves could find a team with a guy in AA that projects as a RHed 4th OFer capable of playing a few games per month in CF. That is exactly the piece they need to make Kemp in LF work long term.

Basically DPete if he was a 60 or better defender.
    Eh, I think we need to spend more time trying to find a real OF. Kemp should be a bench bat right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Eh, I think we need to spend more time trying to find a real OF. Kemp should be a bench bat right now.
    I try to discuss moves I want the Braves to make while adhering to the constraints of reality.

It is a foregone conclusion that the FO thinks Kemp is THE guy in LF for the foreseeable future. Any potential moves we discuss almost certainly need to assume that's the case.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Because if you can't get anything for him play him! It would be stupid to dump him when he could still be a useful bench bat.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    To be fair, he's OPS'ing over .900 in the PCL, good for 13th best in that league. He's had a good year after a bad year last year, but that trade at least feels within the realm of possibility.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Because if you can't get anything for him play him! It would be stupid to dump him when he could still be a useful bench bat.
    The key word here is bench. If he's a useful bench bat, then Freeman shouldn't be playing 3B.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    To be fair, he's OPS'ing over .900 in the PCL, good for 13th best in that league. He's had a good year after a bad year last year, but that trade at least feels within the realm of possibility.
    Good call.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    It's actually been below-average in HR allowed. Above-average in 2B allowed, though, possibly because of the wall in RF? I don't know.
    I'd like to look at my updated statcast data on this. When they ran the numbers at the end of May SunTrust was playing as a big hitters park on balls in the air. The raw data didn't support it because a lot of weak ass offensive teams had played in the park. That data was through May 20th. Since SunTrust has seen the Pirates, Phillies, Mets, Marlins, Giants, Brewers, and now the Astros. The Pirates, Phillies, and Giants are all bottom 5 offensive teams in baseball and the Braves rank 22nd in team WRC+. So still not a lot of good hitting teams coming through.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I'd like to look at my updated statcast data on this. When they ran the numbers at the end of May SunTrust was playing as a big hitters park on balls in the air. The raw data didn't support it because a lot of weak ass offensive teams had played in the park. That data was through May 20th. Since SunTrust has seen the Pirates, Phillies, Mets, Marlins, Giants, Brewers, and now the Astros. The Pirates, Phillies, and Giants are all bottom 5 offensive teams in baseball and the Braves rank 22nd in team WRC+. So still not a lot of good hitting teams coming through.
    Park factors take this into account. They look at how teams perform in a given park compared to how they perform elsewhere. The Astros play at Minute Maid, but it's still well below-average in runs, though actually slightly above in HR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    In an article this morning, Heyman says that we have been getting calls about Teheran and that he could actually be attractive because of the prices of the top guys, his reasonable contract, and his character. He also cites how much better he's been on the road. If we get a good offer, please pull the trigger.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Park factors take this into account. They look at how teams perform in a given park compared to how they perform elsewhere. The Astros play at Minute Maid, but it's still well below-average in runs, though actually slightly above in HR.

If you are using ESPN's park factors then they don't use statcast data.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    If you are using ESPN's park factors then they don't use statcast data.
    I didn't say they use Statcast data. Regardless, they're still comparing offensive output for teams in that park vs. output in other parks. Not sure why Statcast data would drastically alter that.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    I didn't say they use Statcast data. Regardless, they're still comparing offensive output for teams in that park vs. output in other parks. Not sure why Statcast data would drastically alter that.
    Because statcast data can tell you what should have happened on certain struck balls compared to what actually did happen. From the artcile at the first of June.

"The fly balls hit by the Braves and their opponents to date haven’t been hit all that hard (“should have” resulted in .301 AVG-.846 SLG to date), but have actually resulted in much more production (.345 AVG-1.008 SLG, 137.9 Fly Ball Park Factor). In all of MLB, almost exactly 15.0% of fly balls hit between 95-100 mph have gone over the wall this season; 22.0% of such flies have done so in this new yard."

I think that is much better than just using raw data. Statcast data is super helpful for stuff like this.

Again this was through the first 2 months. I am curious if that has changed at all or is still playing the same way.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Because statcast data can tell you what should have happened on certain struck balls compared to what actually did happen. From the artcile at the first of June.

"The fly balls hit by the Braves and their opponents to date haven’t been hit all that hard (“should have” resulted in .301 AVG-.846 SLG to date), but have actually resulted in much more production (.345 AVG-1.008 SLG, 137.9 Fly Ball Park Factor). In all of MLB, almost exactly 15.0% of fly balls hit between 95-100 mph have gone over the wall this season; 22.0% of such flies have done so in this new yard."

I think that is much better than just using raw data. Statcast data is super helpful for stuff like this.

Again this was through the first 2 months. I am curious if that has changed at all or is still playing the same way.
    It's definitely better, but over time that should even out and show up in the park factor equation as well. If fly balls are going out at a much higher rate in SunTrust than elsewhere, then teams who play in SunTrust will hit far more HR there than in other parks. So you'll see that in park factor results.

My guess would be that it was some luck initially that has evened back out. But yeah, it would definitely be interesting.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    In an article this morning, Heyman says that we have been getting calls about Teheran and that he could actually be attractive because of the prices of the top guys, his reasonable contract, and his character. He also cites how much better he's been on the road. If we get a good offer, please pull the trigger.
    Not without a good piece. I know everyone wants to trade him, I don't. I think the trade him train is in motion full steam ahead though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Not in favor of selling low on Teheran.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    The thing is, with the absurd prices of the reported available pitchers... the Braves could conceivably get a nice offer for Teheran. I highly doubt it will happen, but its interesting.