Page 2 of 141 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Basing suggestions solely on Preacher's list...

Adams - IF you're going to move him (and I'm not convinced they will either), the Yankees seem to make the most sense with Bird's disappearance. He just looks like a great fit there since they could platoon him with Carter at 1B and Holliday at DH. For whatever unknown reason, they just don't seem willing to give Dustin Fowler a chance. I'd love to have him as our Markakis replacement - sooner than later, of course.

Garcia and Johnson - Bowden and Duquette were just discussing on XM that the Rockies would be a candidate to try to swing a deal to do all their shopping in one place: a veteran SP with playoff experience that doesn't have to be a TOR arm and another really good pen piece so they can start protecting Holland down the stretch. They obviously don't want to move their TOP guys Rogers or Pint, but McMahon's an obvious trade candidate since he's seemingly blocked at every position there. Offer them Garcia and JJ for McMahon and another real far off prospect like Tyler Nevin or Pedro Gonzalez. They could use Johnson and that sinker to rest Holland fairly often, maybe only using him on back-to-back days in the second half (never three in a row). Of course they could probably aim higher and work something out with Oakland to get Gray and a pen piece if they were willing to move McMahon, Tapia, and another piece.

Phillips - Wouldn't he seem to be the kind of clubhouse presence that might help the Dodgers? They still don't seem to have an "answer" at 2B there, and he'd probably help them keep Puig from melting down and becoming a big distraction. Would love to be able to get someone like Will Smith from them. Maybe they feel like they want an extra arm for their pen as well and you can also send them Vizcaino for Starling Heredia.

Dickey - If the Os are actually interested in Dickey, I'd have driven him to the airport yesterday for Tanner Scott and his triple-digit fastball. He apparently doesn't have anything else, but I'd love to see Newcomb and Sims in the rotation the rest of the way to find out what they're going to be moving forward and see if our coaches can eventually turn Scott into a pen piece.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I want everyone to remember these predictions when the trade deadline has passed. I'm sure it won't prevent unrealistic expectations in the future (being consistently wrong has never prevented it around here before), but a guy can hope haha!

The most valuable short term veteran is BP. He can be projected to produce ~1 WAR over the last 2 months, and will play everyday in the postseason for a contender. All for about $300k. He likely has a surplus value to a playoff team 2-3x that of Garcia. Just need a contender to have an opening at 2B.
    What predictions? That Garcia 'could' nab a package similar to what Harrell/Alvarez garnered? Ok I'll remember that prediction, lord help me if I'm wrong.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    What predictions? That Garcia 'could' nab a package similar to what Harrell/Alvarez garnered? Ok I'll remember that prediction, lord help me if I'm wrong.
    You are trying to argue that Harrell/Alvarez nabbed a FG FV 50 prospect. So yes, I will remember to bring it up when Garcia doesn't get anyone nearly that good.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Danny Valenica is playing 1B for the Mariners. I would have to think that if they see themselves in the wildcard race the last week in July that they wouldn't be interested in Adams.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Danny Valenica is playing 1B for the Mariners. I would have to think that if they see themselves in the wildcard race the last week in July that they wouldn't be interested in Adams.
    What they've gone through with their starters this year has been insane. They could use one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    By the time you finish with the parsing over how good Demeritte is or isn't and whether it was Garcia or Garcia+ and the rest you'll want to kill yourself.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    By the time you finish with the parsing over how good Demeritte is or isn't and whether it was Garcia or Garcia+ and the rest you'll want to kill yourself.
    damn bro that's harsh

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I asked Jeff Sullivan haha...

Nick S
    10:50 Likely return Braves can expect for Jaime Garcia?

Jeff Sullivan
    10:50 Very little

I also asked him about Matt Adams. Hopefully he answers.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-16-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Jaime Garcia could net us a draft pick if we let him go to free agency. That might be the best course.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-16-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Jaime Garcia could net us a draft pick if we let him go to free agency. That might be the best course.
    Wouldn't he need a QO? I'm not so sure he doesn't accept. And "could" is the important word there, anyway.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I see that being too risky to the Braves. The QO this past year was 17.2 million and 15.8 the year before. So we are likely look at 18 million for Garcia if he were to accept the offer and that's a huge possibility. Also the likely best we could get as far as draft picks for him would be at the end of the 2nd round as I don't see him signing a deal worth more than 50 million total.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Best course will be to package him with Adams, Viz, JJ, BP and/or any other available piece to get a decent prospect in return.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    There you go.

Best course will be to package him with Adams, Viz, JJ, BP and/or any other available piece to get a decent prospect in return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I'm sure it did rebound some but I also don't think it's accurate to call him a 50 FV player when the trade was made. Split the difference and call it 45 if you want. I think Texas had given up on TD to be honest. I also don't think Garcia has as much trade value as some are suggesting. He's been fairly lucky this year and he's very injury prone. Strange things do happen at the trade deadline though.
    But that's the type of player I've been suggesting we target the entire time, someone who is toolsy and hasn't put it quite together yet, or someone like TD who has talent been has fallen out of favor either because of injury or off-field issues.... AJackson is a similar guy.

I think you can get a piece like that for Garcia, and that piece may be a 45FV, but it'd be one with upside and I'd consider that worthwhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I asked Jeff Sullivan haha...

Nick S
    10:50 Likely return Braves can expect for Jaime Garcia?

Jeff Sullivan
    10:50 Very little

I also asked him about Matt Adams. Hopefully he answers.
    Weird, I remember all the analysts thought we'd flip Harrell and Alvarez for a good piece last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    You are trying to argue that Harrell/Alvarez nabbed a FG FV 50 prospect. So yes, I will remember to bring it up when Garcia doesn't get anyone nearly that good.
    I'm saying its possible, and it happens quite often at the deadline when teams overpay. You're taking the stance that it won't happen. You would have said the same thing about our package of Harrell and Alvarez.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Weird, I remember all the analysts thought we'd flip Harrell and Alvarez for a good piece last year.
    A solid lefty starter would seem to be worth a good bit more than those two retreads. I'm not argueing as to what we will get, but it sure seems like that would be the low end. Good starting lefties don't grow on trees and if we covered some or even all of his salary....?

Garcia is not a retread either. He is an established vet, who still should be in his prime. Granted he has dealt with plenty of injuries.

A three player trade of say Garcia, JJ and Phillips could literally put a team over the top with talented vets (if that was their weak spots). I could see a GM giving up just about any one player, if he thought these guys were the perfect fit. It might be a high price at first glance, but still might be a better deal for a team than making 3 smaller separate trades.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    If I were the Braves I would aggressively shop a Garcia/JJ/Phillips package and pay their remaining salaries this year. That group has produced 3 WAR so far this year and I would sell that group as producing 3 more WAR the rest of the season. That would be a surplus value of around ~30 million and with the contenders premium should net a FV 55 player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    If I were the Braves I would aggressively shop a Garcia/JJ/Phillips package and pay their remaining salaries this year. That group has produced 3 WAR so far this year and I would sell that group as producing 3 more WAR the rest of the season. That would be a surplus value of around ~30 million and with the contenders premium should net a FV 55 player.
    I don't think the Braves will pay the remainder of salaries, I wish they would, but I doubt it.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I don't think the Braves will pay the remainder of salaries, I wish they would, but I doubt it.
    It would be like 7-7.5 million for all 3.