Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Again, stop side stepping the question.

What do you geniuses think the return for Garcia is going to be this trade deadline? If I'm wrong, tell me what's right. We will look back after the deadline and point out, once again, that you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll start...

Garcia has a surplus value in the $5M range. I could see that getting a 40 FV lottery ticket pitcher with control/injury concerns. Someone like Duane Underwood from the Cubs, a low mid/end FV 40 guy with some upside.
    I think you could get a 55 FV player possibly if you packaged 2-3 players together. It's all in what the teams needs are and how we match up. It also depends on if a player is blocked in their system.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Willie Calhoun?

Make it Calhoun and Will Smith and I'd jerk the Dodgers' arm off if I were Coppy. Unfortunately we know the Dodgers aren't likely to go there again.
    Calhoun is listed as a 50 FV player and that's likely the value the Braves should expect for a return of that trio. 55 is probably pushing it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I think you could get a 55 FV player possibly if you packaged 2-3 players together. It's all in what the teams needs are and how we match up. It also depends on if a player is blocked in their system.
    OK, so you think a combo of Garcia plus one of Adams/JJ/BP/Viz is going to net someone as valuable as Ian Happ or Kyle Tucker? LOL ok!

How about just Garcia?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    OK, so you think a combo of Garcia plus one of Adams/JJ/BP/Viz is going to net someone as valuable as Ian Happ or Kyle Tucker? LOL ok!

How about just Garcia?
    A good exercise is to reverse the scenario. Would you trade Allard or Anderson for that combo? Probably not.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    OK, so you think a combo of Garcia plus one of Adams/JJ/BP/Viz is going to net someone as valuable as Ian Happ? LOL ok!

How about just Garcia?
    45 FV maybe. I really think a package of even three guys is the way to go. I am not saying one of these guys by themselves are overly valueable. If I am a GM with many needs and I can knock all those needs out in one trade...maybe it's worth it to me to give up one higher rated player as to four or five decent ones across mutiple trades.

I know you are not big on Coppy, but to me...these smaller type trades are really where he has done his best work (as opposed to the Bigger's ones minus the Shelby trade).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    45 FV maybe. I really think a package of even three guys is the way to go. I am not saying one of these guys by themselves are overly valueable. If I am a GM with many needs and I can knock all those needs out in one trade...maybe it's worth it to me to give up one higher rated player as to four or five decent ones across mutiple trades.

I know you are not big on Coppy, but to me...these smaller type trades are really where he has done his best work (as opposed to the Bigger's ones minus the Shelby trade).
    OK great. We will lok back and see if the Braves got that kind of value from trading Garcia. I could see them getting an older low-ceiling 45 guy like Chesny Young if they ate Garcia's salary.

Anyone else? Or are the rest of you only capable of nitpicking the ideas of others?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    A good exercise is to reverse the scenario. Would you trade Allard or Anderson for that combo? Probably not.
    There is the key...we need those players. What if we have five solid starters, and Anderson is blocked. He is to the point we need to either put him on the 40 man or expose him to the rule 5 draft. He is to good for the bullpen, yet that is the only spot we see for him for the next few years and he is ready...now. We feel we are a solid 3rd baseman right fielder from contending and a team has both guys that fill the need we have immeadiately.

In that scenario....is he really that valuable to us?? Or expendable to help us in an area of need?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    There is the key...we need those players. What if we have five solid starters, and Anderson is blocked. He is to the point we need to either put him on the 40 man or expose him to the rule 5 draft. He is to good for the bullpen, yet that is the only spot we see for him for the next few years and he is ready...now. We feel we are a solid 3rd baseman right fielder from contending and a team has both guys that fill the need we have immeadiately.

In that scenario....is he really that valuable to us?? Or expendable to help us in an area of need?
    Not if those guys are 3 month rentals which is what every player we are considering trading is.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Not if those guys are 3 month rentals which is what every player we are considering trading is.
    JJ and Adams both have another year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    if they help you win the title they are. The cubs massively over paid for 3 months of Chapman.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    OK great. We will lok back and see if the Braves got that kind of value from trading Garcia. I could see them getting an older low-ceiling 45 guy like Chesny Young if they ate Garcia's salary.

Anyone else? Or are the rest of you only capable of nitpicking the ideas of others?
    I've said a bunch of times, I'm targeting either a young toolsy player that has some holes and upside or a guy like Alex Jackson/TD (that's ideally around a 45 FV type guy) that has ability/pedigree but has fallen out of favor. I don't know other systems individual players well enough to actually say who that may be. I'm not that interested in getting into a 'who's most right' contest, especially when whomever we get is likely to fall into some type of gray area anyway.

You may be right and we get very little for Garcia.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I've said a bunch of times, I'm targeting either a young toolsy player that has some holes and upside or a guy like Alex Jackson/TD (that's ideally around a 45 FV type guy) that has ability/pedigree but has fallen out of favor. I don't know other systems individual players well enough to actually say who that may be. I'm not that interested in getting into a 'who's most right' contest, especially when whomever we get is likely to fall into some type of gray area anyway.

You may be right and we get very little for Garcia.
    That's not at all what you said. You literally said:

"Fangraphs has a 50FV on TD, and he was bought with Alvarez/Harrell..... not sure why some people are so sure that Garcia can only nab a 40/45 FV type guy."

Am I the only one that interprets that as meaning you think Garcia can get a FV 50 guy?

You aren't sure why we think Garcia can "only nab a 40/45 FV guy". Therefore, is it not reasonable to conclude you think Garcia can get better? Isn't the next thing better than a 40/45 guy a 50 guy....especially in context of your first line about a FV 50 guy? Are we not supposed to think your act of offering that bit of "evidence" (which is wrong) is you trying to support the idea of Garcia possibly getting a 50 FV in return?

Am the only one following along this logic in such a manner? Maybe I need to work on my reading comprehension?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    In other news...could the Colon start be a Mets audition?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    In other news...could the Colon start be a Mets audition?
    just hoping he saves face and to get something out of the 13 million. They put him on the DL and now hope he can string 3 good starts together so they can tell other GMs that he was hurt and not to pay attention to the first whatever starts.. It will last as long as a piece of fried chicken sitting on Bartolo's plate..

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    JJ and Adams both have another year.
    Wasn't aware JJ had another year. I don't think Adams has much value.
    Last edited by thewupk; 06-16-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    if they help you win the title they are. The cubs massively over paid for 3 months of Chapman.
    Sure. But the odds of those moves actually winning you the title are slim. Cubs were also a unique team in that they were loaded everywhere except for the closer position. I don't mind overpaying if you are already good and need one move to put you over the top. I don't want to overpay in hopes to contend like the Braves did with Tex.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Possibly I would. Depends on what I'm getting and my assessment of how close I was to a title and what my needs were.

If I have kershaw on my team I'm much more likely to give it a go.

Pitching Prospects in AA are nothing compared to a world title if I have others.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Possibly I would. Depends on what I'm getting and my assessment of how close I was to a title and what my needs were.

If I have kershaw on my team I'm much more likely to give it a go.

Pitching Prospects in AA are nothing compared to a world title if I have others.
    We are talking about getting Garcia and Phillips for 3 months and JJ for a year and a half. Literally two average players at best and a plus reliever. I don't think that's worth a 55 FV player. Maybe if I was getting Uggla level production from the places that I'm upgrading.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    That's not at all what you said. You literally said:

"Fangraphs has a 50FV on TD, and he was bought with Alvarez/Harrell..... not sure why some people are so sure that Garcia can only nab a 40/45 FV type guy."

Am I the only one that interprets that as meaning you think Garcia can get a FV 50 guy?

You aren't sure why we think Garcia can "only nab a 40/45 FV guy". Therefore, is it not reasonable to conclude you think Garcia can get better? Isn't the next thing better than a 40/45 guy a 50 guy....especially in context of your first line about a FV 50 guy? Are we not supposed to think your act of offering that bit of "evidence" (which is wrong) is you trying to support the idea of Garcia possibly getting a 50 FV in return?

Am the only one following along this logic in such a manner? Maybe I need to work on my reading comprehension?
    I use terms like 'can' to indicate I think it's possible, I've also said a bunch of times I'm fine with grabbing a lower FV guy that's further away but has tools.

I'm really not at all concerned if the guy is a 50 FV or a 45 FV, especially since these things vary from site to site and people treat them like gospel.

I still think we will get a something from Garcia that is quite a bit better than Dario Alvarez.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Again, stop side stepping the question.

What do you geniuses think the return for Garcia is going to be this trade deadline? If I'm wrong, tell me what's right. We will look back after the deadline and point out, once again, that you have no idea what you're talking about.

You are all so quick to nitpick whatever I say, so step up and make your own evaluations.

I'll start...

Garcia has a surplus value in the $5M range. I could see that getting a 40 FV lottery ticket pitcher with control/injury concerns. Someone like Duane Underwood from the Cubs, a low mid/end FV 40 guy with some upside.
    It's tough to say, if a team is in the race, a SP gets hurt, and they need a SP. They could overpay and get him, but Garcia has injury concerns and FA at end of year.

Dont think we'll get an insane offer but teams who need a SP could overpay.

What if we packaged Garcia, Viz and BP to a contender for a high end prospect/s?
    Last edited by Heyward; 06-16-2017 at 07:54 PM.