Two years ago coming off a 4.40 FIP?
    Lol keep reaching bud.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I always come back to a rival executive saying: I know what Coppy says, but I can get Teheran any time I want.

It comes back to no one actually thinking Teheran was anywhere near as good as his numbers. Braves fans didn't believe it and rival front offices didn't believe it. So every time we talk about their mistake in not trading him the comparison is made to some much better player who was traded for elite prospects. Two years ago, he wasn't very good coming off a 4 ERA/4.5 FIP type season. Selling high last year would have been great, but you have to get a high offer to sell high.

And the reality is he wasn't bringing back those elite prospects and the Braves have more use then and now for Teheran to be in their rotation than they do to have another starting pitcher prospect or another Dustin Peterson, Ruiz, Mallex Smith. It only made sense to trade him if you really liked the return. And I'm perfectly fine and happy that they made that decision.

Just like the White Sox are undoubtably happy they didn't sell Quintana earlier for less than they wanted to get back.
    The problem is which numbers are you looking at. Julio was never as good as his ERA sometimes suggested. Most fans and most FO's know this. Julio at his best as been a 3+ WAR pitcher which is a low #2 and good #3. He has never been an ace event though he has at times been the Braves best pitcher. Some people get confused over that. He was never going to bring back elite prospects because he has never been that good.

Last trade deadline Julio would of had an surplus value of ~65 million. More than twice what he has now. They could have gotten a high grade 55 FV player. Now I think at best they could get a low end 55 grade guy but most likely a 50 FV guy that makes the back end of top 100 lists. The longer they wait the worse it will get.

The ideal time would of been after 2014 when they traded several other players. Julio was coming off a good year and had years left on his contract. But the Braves tried that half in half out rebuild and it's hurt them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The problem is which numbers are you looking at. Julio was never as good as his ERA sometimes suggested. Most fans and most FO's know this. Julio at his best as been a 3+ WAR pitcher which is a low #2 and good #3. He has never been an ace event though he has at times been the Braves best pitcher. Some people get confused over that. He was never going to bring back elite prospects because he has never been that good.

Last trade deadline Julio would of had an surplus value of ~65 million. More than twice what he has now. They could have gotten a high grade 55 FV player. Now I think at best they could get a low end 55 grade guy but most likely a 50 FV guy that makes the back end of top 100 lists. The longer they wait the worse it will get.

The ideal time would of been after 2014 when they traded several other players. Julio was coming off a good year and had years left on his contract. But the Braves tried that half in half out rebuild and it's hurt them.
    He knows Julio should have been traded. He knows the return would have been a Top 50 guy plus another Top 100 guy.

However his blind loyalty to the FO prevents him from admitting it, so he grasps at any straw he can to "prove" himself right.

It's kinda of adorable actually. It's like watching someone defend their son after they get shot for breaking into someone's house.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts

If you mean that he should have been traded at the very beginning along with Hayward and Upton before he had the bad 2015, then I'll go with you there. I do think it would have been better to tear it all the way down and that was my preference.

If you can put actual names on the package coming back in 2016 at the deadline, maybe I can say where I would have taken the deal or not. But I don't think at that time that trading Teheran for a generic 55 FV player was especially pressing.

Teheran's value to the Braves isn't solely what he can realize in trade. It's his ability to fill a rotation spot for less than it would cost to replace him.

It's not just math. It's roster management, it is depth charts, it is budget, it is to some degree perception. And simply saying that there was a deal out there that the Braves should have taken for more prospect depth...I just don't think that is necessarily true. I'm content with the Braves having held on to him at the deadline even though I absolutely think they should have gone out and tried to find a great deal for him. I think they did that. I think if they had gotten an offer back that they liked they would have taken it. And I don't think the fact they didn't get one necessarily means that they had any sort of mistaken assumption about his value.

I'm sorry that he has pitched worse this year than he did last year. Just like I'm sorry that he was worse in 2015 than he was in 2014. But at the end of the day he's a major league rotation guy who should be pitching closer to the back of a rotation than the front.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,871 Posts
    If you mean that he should have been traded at the very beginning along with Hayward and Upton before he had the bad 2015, then I'll go with you there. I do think it would have been better to tear it all the way down and that was my preference.

If you can put actual names on the package coming back in 2016 at the deadline, maybe I can say where I would have taken the deal or not. But I don't think at that time that trading Teheran for a generic 55 FV player was especially pressing.

Teheran's value to the Braves isn't solely what he can realize in trade. It's his ability to fill a rotation spot for less than it would cost to replace him.

It's not just math. It's roster management, it is depth charts, it is budget, it is to some degree perception. And simply saying that there was a deal out there that the Braves should have taken for more prospect depth...I just don't think that is necessarily true. I'm content with the Braves having held on to him at the deadline even though I absolutely think they should have gone out and tried to find a great deal for him. I think they did that. I think if they had gotten an offer back that they liked they would have taken it. And I don't think the fact they didn't get one necessarily means that they had any sort of mistaken assumption about his value.

I'm sorry that he has pitched worse this year than he did last year. Just like I'm sorry that he was worse in 2015 than he was in 2014. But at the end of the day he's a major league rotation guy who should be pitching closer to the back of a rotation than the front.
    I think the Braves got a fair offer for him. I also think they were holding out for a Miller type offer that they couldn't refuse. I agree that to the Braves Julio was more valuable to them then what his fair market value in a trade would be. To me that goes with trying to contend sooner than what should realistically expected. Some of that may be pressure on the John's above him I don't know.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,144 Posts
    If Hahn had followed Coppy's rebuild process, he would have done 1 of 2 things with Q:

1. Insisted the Cubs take Shields' contract as well as Q, thus accepting a prospect package half as valuable as the one he got. He would have then spent that money on a 4 year contract for a 1-2 WAR player to help the team be "palatable" in 2018 and the rest of the rebuild.

2. Insisted on the Cubs sending back a low quality MLB piece as part of the package, again lowering the prospect return, and again trying to be "palatable" in 2018 and the rest of the rebuild.

Obviously, Hahn chose a different rebuild process. Only a fool thinks Coppy's process is better.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-13-2017 at 02:53 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    I think the Braves got a fair offer for him. I also think they were holding out for a Miller type offer that they couldn't refuse. I agree that to the Braves Julio was more valuable to them then what his fair market value in a trade would be. To me that goes with trying to contend sooner than what should realistically expected. Some of that may be pressure on the John's above him I don't know.

We are pretty close to understanding on this one.

By 2016, I just don't think the Braves needed to be taking whatever fair offer was on the table. There just wasn't an imperative for him to be moved and I say that even thinking that the Braves true window doesn't open until Kemp's contract clears.

Probably should have traded Teheran in 2014. I'm with you there.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If Hahn had followed Coppy's rebuild process, he would have done 1 of 2 things with Q:

1. Insisted the Cubs take Shields' contract as well as Q, thus accepting a prospect package half as valuable as the one he got. He would have then spent that money on a 4 year contract for a 1-2 WAR player to help the team be "palatable" in 2018 and the rest of the rebuild.

2. Insisted on the Cubs sending back a low quality MLB piece as part of the package, again lowering the prospect return, and again trying to be "palatable" in 2018 and the rest of the rebuild.

Obviously, Hahn chose a different rebuild process. Only a fool thinks Coppy's process is better.
    If Coppy followed Hahn we would have probably dealt Freddie.

Reasonable people can disagree but Coppy has said from the get go that the organization's assessment of the market is that ATL can't afford a 5+ year rebuild.

I honestly don't get the praise for Hahn. He traded a stud pitcher for a stud prospect and a lottery ticket.

Top 50 and top 100 offer for Julio I might not take now, much less then. To use Braves prospects what if the return for Julio was Gohara plus Newcombe? Two high upside guys. But both have significant risk. That's not the type of return the board was expecting for Julio last deadline.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    the White Sox traded for Shields in June and then decided to sell off all their young and valuable assets in July.

Kind of like Preller depleted his farm system and completely burned the major league club to the ground a few months later.

People have different strengths.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The fact we were in on Quintana tells me Julio is not in the least available...no matter the offer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,144 Posts
    the White Sox traded for Shields in June and then decided to sell off all their young and valuable assets in July.

Kind of like Preller depleted his farm system and completely burned the major league club to the ground a few months later.

People have different strengths.
    Which of these 2 statements have I said?

1. Hahn is doing an excellent job in the early stages of this rebuild.

2. Hahn has done every aspect of being a GM perfectly.

Which one have I said? Does your reading comprehension allow you to answer this question accurately?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    That would be a bitter pill for the FO to swallow since they could of gotten more if they acted sooner but it's something I think needs to be done. Hopefully the Braves can find a way to move Nick and or Kemp to make room for some young corner guys.
    I honestly don't think we should move Neck.

I'd trade him in heart beat if someone took the entire deal. Or if I could get a decent piece. But I'm not moving him for a 40 FV guy and saving a little money.

He doesn't block Acuna. He only makes 11 for one more year.
    You could start Neck to keep Acuna down for some period of time or you could start Acuna from the jump. Keep Neck around to occasionally spell Acuna and Kemp. Probably a decent pinch hitter when you need a base hit with men on late. Could be a defensive sub for Kemp.

Typically you'd want your starter to be making the millions and your back up making 500K. But I don't see why it couldn't be the other way for a year. The Braves will want vets on the team. Nick is a solid player and teammate. I'd rather keep him than have them fill that bench role with another Bonifacio type.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Which of these 2 statements have I said?

1. Hahn is doing an excellent job in the early stages of this rebuild.

2. Hahn has done every aspect of being a GM perfectly.

Which one have I said? Does your reading comprehension allow you to answer this question accurately?

Apparently your reading comprehension consistently allows you to respond to arguments that were never made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Gray has seemed a better target for us to me than Quintana. I think we might be able to get him for Anderson. Or Wentz plus Touki. We'd be paying something close to the contender's premium in both cases.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-13-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Gray has seemed a better target for us to me than Quintana. I think we might be able to get him for Anderson. Or Wentz plus Touki. We'd be paying something close to the contender's premium in both cases.
    mlb trade rumor chat said probably two top 100 with neither guy being a headliner.

I think it's only 1.5 years of control so I don't see how he fits the window. But If I could get him for Touki, Riley, Mueller I'd do it and maybe deal him for more later or see if he'll do an extension. I don't think I'd give up Anderson for 1.5 years of Gray with his injury history.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    mlb trade rumor chat said probably two top 100 with neither guy being a headliner.

I think it's only 1.5 years of control so I don't see how he fits the window. But If I could get him for Touki, Riley, Mueller I'd do it and maybe deal him for more later or see if he'll do an extension. I don't think I'd give up Anderson for 1.5 years of Gray with his injury history.
    2.5 years of control

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,144 Posts
    The Braves would be better off playing out this season, signing a 2-3 WAR guy at 3B like Frazier, and rocking this lineup by the end of April:

Inciarte
    Freeman
    Frazier
    Markakis
    Kemp
    Flowers
    Swanson
    Pitcher
    Albies

Folty
    Teheran
    Newk
    Dickey
    Young Guy

and going for 80-85 wins. If they are in contention at the deadline, look to acquire a TOR like Archer or whoever will inevitably be available. Then push for a playoff slot.

They really need to end this foolish notion of accelerating the rebuild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The Braves would be better off playing out this season, signing a 2-3 WAR guy at 3B like Frazier, and rocking this lineup by the end of April:

Inciarte
    Freeman
    Frazier
    Markakis
    Kemp
    Flowers
    Swanson
    Pitcher
    Albies

Folty
    Teheran
    Newk
    Dickey
    Young Guy

and going for 80-85 wins. If they are in contention at the deadline, look to acquire a TOR like Archer or whoever will inevitably be available. Then push for a playoff slot.

I go back and forth on whether we should prioritize picking up a starting pitcher or third baseman. If we go third I'd rather go with a trade (Solarte or Prado) than free agent (Frazier, Moose) where length of contract is likely to be an issue. We could afford to do both with a combination of Solarte and Gray.

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

Inciarte
    Freeman
    Frazier
    Markakis
    Kemp
    Flowers
    Swanson
    Pitcher
    Albies

Folty
    Teheran
    Newk
    Dickey
    Young Guy

Agreed...it's a year too early.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,144 Posts
    I go back and forth on whether we should prioritize picking up a starting pitcher or third baseman. If we go third I'd rather go with a trade (Solarte or Prado) than free agent (Frazier, Moose) where length of contract is likely to be an issue.
    I'd definitely prefer to wait on assuming the risk of a SP until they know FOR SURE they are contenders.

As far as the exact guy to target for 3B...I could be convinced of almost anyone if the price is right.