Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Even me as the biggest optimistic thinks its the wrong time to trade for a starting pitcher. I want to see how good Acuna/Albies are in the majors lnext season before I make some sort of deal.

Let's see what we could get Hamels for. Absorbing that contract would reduce the return in assets from our side.
    In all likelihood baring a major collapse by many...we won't have a need for any starting pitching by late next year. Just wait a year and don't give up assets. We have three solid guys and picking up Dickeys option makes four. So we only need ONE guy. Just like Coppy snagged Gohora, we can take some rule 5 guys (like maybe Fried) and get that type of pitcher in the offseason. Don't give away ANYTHING. These young pitchers are at the point...we don't know who will stick and who will get hurt..having all of these guys gives us the probability of needing NO pitching. Trading for Gray (a guy that could get hurt a any moment), is so counter productive it makes my head explode.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,799 Posts
    The reason it takes Albies because position prospects are a lot more valuable and less risky.

This "powerhouse" front office loaded up on the wrong asset.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    U are all underestimating q. If I could get q for Albies and gohara I'm doing it.

Too good. Too much control. Too cheap.

I'd do it for archer too. It's not nearly enough

I would not give up anyone in our top 7 for gray
    My complaints about offering Albies aren't that it isn't fair value. It probably is.

But when we've spent three years doing nothing but acquiring as much pitching as possible and then are willing to trade one of the few impact position prospects in our system for yet another pitcher, the logic doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by CJ9; 07-15-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The reason it takes Albies because position prospects are a lot more valuable and less risky.

Considering the cost of SP's in money and to acquire via trade, i would disagree.

But you hate the current FO so not surprising.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    This is the EXACT fear I had at the beginning of the season. That we would be just good enough to make Coppy "go for it" (even though we have zero chance to win it all). I really hope we start loosing some games this month. We are decent, but we just aren't there yet. 2018...yes we might make some noise.

Does anyone find it funny that Coppy is so desperate to find that controllable pitcher...the SAME type of guy he gladly gave away in the HO trade?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    In all likelihood baring a major collapse by many...we won't have a need for any starting pitching by late next year. Just wait a year and don't give up assets. We have three solid guys and picking up Dickeys option makes four. So we only need ONE guy. Just like Coppy snagged Gohora, we can take some rule 5 guys (like maybe Fried) and get that type of pitcher in the offseason. Don't give away ANYTHING. These young pitchers are at the point...we don't know who will stick and who will get hurt..having all of these guys gives us the probability of needing NO pitching. Trading for Gray (a guy that could get hurt a any moment), is so counter productive it makes my head explode.
    Yep and given how cheap they are, we could easily make a big splurge for one of the big names in 2019 free agency.

Newcomb, Soroka/Allard, Wright, Folty, even Julio if hes not traded by then is an extremely cheap rotation. Then throw in some that dont work out in the bullpen.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    This is the EXACT fear I had at the beginning of the season. That we would be just good enough to make Coppy "go for it" (even though we have zero chance to win it all). I really hope we start loosing some games this month. We are decent, but we just aren't there yet. 2018...yes we might make some noise.

Does anyone find it funny that Coppy is so desperate to find that controllable pitcher...the SAME type of guy he gladly gave away in the HO trade?
    Other than Gray, there isnt really anyone THAT available and we havent been linked to him.

It would be a big mistake though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts

You know what's really funny? The Braves are 3 moves away from being contenders this season. Keeping Simmons, Wood, and Mallex.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-15-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Example: I've heard many guys mention Touki as a throw in. He is showing signs of turning the corner. If he ever "gets it"...you just "threw in" a potential ace or top 5 closer". Just give these guys time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Its the pitcher that is drawing the return. The idea is to get that pitcher and have the ability to trade them while still maintaining an effective rotation.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You know what's really funny? The Braves are 3 moves away from being contenders this season. Keeping Simmons, Wood, and Mallex.
    Still believe in Newcomb and Gohara has at least a chance of being a TOR starter. Those moves helped the competitive window extend a bit more IMO. Even with those guys we aren't beating the top teams this year.

Wood was just a disaster and will be an embarrassing move for the organization for a long time.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Gohara has jumped to a top 70ish prospect after one year.

Newcomb/Simmons TBD.

Wood was a disaster especially if he plays a huge part in LAD winning a ring this year or in the near future.

We're not far off from contending soon, just need a long-term 3B, another long-term OF to pair with Acuna and Ender. And some of the SP to pan out.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,799 Posts
    But those guys were all old and on bad contacts so it made sense

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    my fear is that they are so hard up for a "controllable Starter", that they are going to just start throwing prospects at anyone who is close to fitting that bill. We have a bunch of controllable starters that we are not giving a chance. We also have a bunch of controllable position guys that he wants to trade. I really think the FO feels BP is a 3 or 4 year solution.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    The cost of pitching is greater than the cost of hitting. Which is backwards IMO.. but that is the way it is. Q got a much better return than Eaton.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    And Passan only one who said they offered up Albies for Q, but no need to run out the pitchforks just yet.
    And then he backed off that assertion, stating he was part of a potential package that never really got into deep negotiations.

For all we know, our offer could have been Ozzie, Wisler, and Rio Ruiz for Quintana. And that would have been amazingly in our favor. Who knows really?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    my fear is that they are so hard up for a "controllable Starter", that they are going to just start throwing prospects at anyone who is close to fitting that bill. We have a bunch of controllable starters that we are not giving a chance. We also have a bunch of controllable position guys that he wants to trade. I really think the FO feels BP is a 3 or 4 year solution.
    I think the problem is that the FO looks ahead a couple years and sees a rotation of Folty, Teheran and 3 guys who as of now haven't proven themselves and they get a case of the vapors.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Considering the cost of SP's in money and to acquire via trade, i would disagree.

But you hate the current FO so not surprising.
    Wait until Harper and Machado hit FA and you will see what kind of money an elite FA position player will bring in.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Wait until Harper and Machado hit FA and you will see what kind of money an elite FA position player will bring in.
    Im aware that Machado and Harper probably get 400 and 500 mil.

But position players are at way less risk than pitchers are, which is why they dont cost as much.

And Machado/Harper will only be 25-26 years old, and can get 10 years, 400-500 million dollar contracts.

But even still, the cost of trading for a cost controlled ace is extremely expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Machado better start playing better.