Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Gammons:

The Braves have shown significant progress, and with several very promising young pitchers in Double-A and international prospects like Ronald Acuna on the way, John Coppolella would like to make a couple of moves to edge up towards the wild card in 2017, he says “what we do has to be done with a focus on 2018.”
    Really hope that's just talk.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I see it two ways. If Julio can put a few good starts together and begins to look like the old Julio. If I'm looking to improve, Julio's stuff isn't as good a Gray, but he has produced, he has stayed healthy and he is signed longer. If I can get him somewhat cheaper (not a ton cheaper but a bit cheaper)...why would I not? Gray and Quintana have not set the world on fire either but will probably be asking for a lot.

I like the Astros also, because they have so much riches with bats, they could trade from an area of strength to make something happen. It wouldn't be that big of a deal for them to take a bit of a gamble on Julio.

I say we absolutely keep him, but then again....I think we have already seen the peak for him, and his real value lies in his contract, which is dwindling away as we speak. So, maybe now is the time if a decent offer is there.
    Quintana will cost about three farms and Gray--while a team could catch lightning in a bottle with him--has huge durability questions. That said, Teheran is clearly behind both of these guys in the trade deadline target pecking order. I still think Teheran has muscled up too much and has lost some flexibility (which would lead to a decline in velocity). I was watching Ervin Santana on the tube the other night and he looks to have slimmed down and is getting it up there consistently at 93.

I doubt the Braves move Teheran unless they are bowled over and I doubt anyone is going to bowl them over. I like the Adams/Teheran to the Yanks suggestion.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Gammons:

The Braves have shown significant progress, and with several very promising young pitchers in Double-A and international prospects like Ronald Acuna on the way, John Coppolella would like to make a couple of moves to edge up towards the wild card in 2017, he says “what we do has to be done with a focus on 2018.”
    Wtf.... hell no.

Trying to make moves to edge towards a WC appearance this year would be so shortsighted.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-07-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    This might be our best bet for a Teheran deal considering the hitters they've accumulated.

Jon Morosi‏ @jonmorosi
    Sources: #Brewers are prepared to buy at Trade Deadline and have begun background work on Jose Quintana, Sonny Gray and other starters. @MLB
    Colorado is another place that seems to have a surplus of hitters, though not sure how they would match up in need.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Wtf.... hell no.

Trying to make moves to edge towards a WC appearance this year would be so shortsighted.
    I'd like to read this as they are willing to acquire something if it would help the team make a run in 2018.

Not sure. This would be the downside of being .500 though. You get statements like this and it is difficult for them to sell appropriately.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Any team that acquires Teheran now will have orchestrated a fairly brilliant buy-low move at the expense of the Braves. I hope the Braves are smart enough not to do it.

It would be folly to pay the 2017 contender's premium to acquire a valuable player to help in 2018. Another example of poor utilization of resources if that happens.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    You can't have it both ways. You can't say that no good offers were on the table because he wasn't good enough to draw those offers then turn around and demand they not trade him because of how good he is.

I think there were always "good" offers on the table for him. I don't think there were ever Shelby Miller type offers for him. But, guess what? The Miller deal was an outlier and would be recognized as such by a good FO. What were the offers? Who knows. Sometimes the offers are generated by the fact that a FO, quietly or not, makes it know that they would be willing to deal a player. Coppy made it known he didn't plan to trade him under ANY circumstances and, while everyone knows that as GM speak, it painted him into a corner of having to obviously "win a trade" OR keep him. For one team to win a trade it means the other team has to lose that trade. We weren't the only ones to see what happened to Dave Stewart after he so obviously lost a trade to the Braves...

That's a really good point, as it could be a case of prisoner of their own success. It was said that other teams were seeking their own Shelby Miller type returns. So why would the Braves be any different? Still, they had to have been realistic. Unless somebody can pull out some verifiable names and serious discussions, it's not enough that "Enscheff says his value was highest at such and such a point."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that teams have inquired with the Braves on Julio Teheran.

Heyman lists the Astros as one of the clubs that have talked to the Braves about the right-hander. Teheran would probably be more of a fallback option for a contender looking for rotation help, as he's put up a disappointing 5.14 ERA this season. However, most of his issues have come at SunTrust Park (7.58 ERA), and Teheran held a 3.21 ERA last season and is under control cheaply through 2020.

Related: Astros
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    9 Deals FanRag could see happening...

https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/ins...ense-deadline/

No 5 -Matt Adams, 1B, from the Braves to the Yankees for Dominguez Acevedo, RHP, and Drew Finley, RHP
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

No 5 -Matt Adams, 1B, from the Braves to the Yankees for Dominguez Acevedo, RHP, and Drew Finley, RHP
    I'd be all for that. Clear win to turn Yepez into that, even if they're not super exciting.

I don't know why the Astros would do that top deal, though. They're clearly the best team in baseball, and Tucker could be huge for them for years to help continue the run. No reason to risk cutting the run short to try to add onto what they have this year.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts

Take that immediately if it's on the table.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'd be all for that. Clear win to turn Yepez into that, even if they're not super exciting.

I don't know why the Astros would do that top deal, though. They're clearly the best team in baseball, and Tucker could be huge for them for years to help continue the run. No reason to risk cutting the run short to try to add onto what they have this year.
    Agreed. And yeah, no way the Astros are giving up Tucker period I don't think, much less him and Marte in that deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    If the Astros were willing to give up Tucker for Quintana they would already have him in their rotation.

The Sox would be wise to accept whatever the best package the Astros were offering this offseason. And that package won't include Tucker.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-07-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the Astros were willing to give up Tucker for Quintana they would already have him in their rotation.
    Agreed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts

Both injury prone pitchers. Acevedo is a FV 40 BP guy, and Finley is a guy that didn't even crack the Yank's Top 30 according to FG.

No thanks. I'd rather see him on the 2018 bench.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Both injury prone pitchers. Acevedo is a FV 40 BP guy, and Finley is a guy that didn't even crack the Yank's Top 30 according to FG.

I agree.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Exactly! You I wouldn't just give Adams away!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Pipeline has Acevedo as a 50 overall and put a 45 on Finley, who was an oversign out of high school in 2015.

I'd say they are more valuable than what Braves gave up but I'd think they would want something more tangible in 2018 at this point.

Acevedo had great line in AA this year though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Pipeline has Acevedo as a 50 overall and put a 45 on Finley, who was an oversign out of high school in 2015.

I'd say they are more valuable than what Braves gave up but I'd think they would want something more tangible in 2018 at this point.

Acevedo had great line in AA this year though.
    Pipeline also had 65 guys in this year's draft rated 50+.

Their FV grades mean nothing.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    There is a perfect world where trading Julio over the next 2 weeks will happen, but a lot of things have to happen. It's not likely.