Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    That's a great trade for both sides. The ChiSox are building quite the farm.

I'm sure folks here will still say it's #2 though haha
    It's extremely close. I like Rutherford a lot, but he's disappointed so far, so not sure him alone puts them over the top. He dropped out of the top 50 prospects in the mid season lists.

Obviously, it's still a really good pull in a trade like this. I would be ecstatic if the Braves could receive anything remotely similar in return for a package of Adams, Vizcaino and JJ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It's extremely close. I like Rutherford a lot, but he's disappointed so far, so not sure him alone puts them over the top. He dropped out of the top 50 prospects in the mid season lists.

Obviously, it's still a really good pull in a trade like this. I would be ecstatic if the Braves could receive anything remotely similar in return for a package of Adams, Vizcaino and JJ.
    It's definitely close. We have way more depth while they have a lot of top-notch talent. All of that being said, Acuna's emergence, Albies resurgence and the addition of Wright keeps us ahead IMO. I think it's crucial we trade Adams/Garcia/JJ/Phillips for one or two more solid prospects and begin moving these young guys, like Albies and Sims, up to the big league club.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    I'm getting jealous of how much better the White Sox farm system has gotten in the last 5 days while we just sit and wait for a unlikely WC chance berth.
    who would you like to trade for who?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    Looks like Rutherford and Clarkin are part of the package.

Kopech, Cease, Hansen, Dunning, Adams, Giolito, Fulmer, Clarkin, Stephens and Lopez
    that is not even close to the pitching we have. not close.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

Both pitchers are giving up a few more BB and HR than you would like but neither is at the ML level getting hammered by the Cubs tonight.
    Giolito was poop butt last year in the majors.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    who would you like to trade for who?
    Even if it's for spare parts or lottery tickets, I'd like to see DatDude and Garcia on different teams soon. It's time to bring up Albies and Sims/Wisler to see what they can do for the remainder of 2017. I even wouldn't mind to see Vizcaino traded.

I'd like to see Adams traded as well, but I just don't see a match now that the Yankees made their trade last night.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    The Braves are out of contention now.

This stupid notion that the Braves are contenders likely caused the Braves to miss out on their only real trade partner for Adams already (if Frazier goes to 1B).

Let's stop with the silliness and face reality, mmkay?
    I'm really in agreement here. It's like the "run" the Braves went on last year. The rebuild has been bittersweet in that we have accumulated talent but certainly need to stop the one foot in approach. So why keep messing around with the mirage of a playoff run?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    It's not a run away by any means, but I think the Yankees did well in this trade. Not as well as the Nats with Doolittle and Madson, but I think it's a good move by Cashman. The scouting reports I've read on Rutherford suggest his fielding and arm slot him in LF. He's a ways away and will really need to hit. I don't follow these things as closely as some, but I'd value him more as a 50 FV than a 55.

Will be interesting to track CHW in the coming years. They had some advantages in their rebuild when it came to the # of high value MLB assets, but to their credit, they also don't seem to have made any major mistakes yet.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    It's not a run away by any means, but I think the Yankees did well in this trade. Not as well as the Nats with Doolittle and Madson, but I think it's a good move by Cashman. The scouting reports I've read on Rutherford suggest his fielding and arm slot him in LF. He's a ways away and will really need to hit. I don't follow these things as closely as some, but I'd value him more as a 50 FV than a 55.

Will be interesting to track CHW in the coming years. They had some advantages in their rebuild when it came to the # of high value MLB assets, but to their credit, they also don't seem to have made any major mistakes yet.
    The White Sox have put together a blueprint that makes me jealous even though the Braves have done well. Adding depreciating assets to trades (Upton,etc) lessened the scope of some deals. We need to offload the few value pieces left and intertwine this new infusion of talent for sustainable success.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    they also don't seem to have made any major mistakes yet.
    I think the Eaton deal at least looks bad. He was coming off a 6-fWAR year, and they got Giolito who's value has tanked even more and Lopez, who's value has also tanked. Eaton is cheap thru 2021. I think Lopez will be fine but Giolito is looking like Mark Appel a couple years ago.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The White Sox have done well, but there are two glaring differences in their rebuild. They traded all of their top players and we aurgueably kept our top two. Trade Julio last year and then trade Freeman ...then who has the best farm?

I'm changing my mind a little. Seeing how good the Dodgers and Houston are....can we really win it in the next 2-3 years?...or should we trade our biggest assets to target REAL contention in say 2020-2021. We have tried to ride the fence because of the new stadium and teams like Houston and the White Sox have not.

Agree with our approach or not....if the deals are there...we need to be hard sellers at the deadline.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    The White Sox have put together a blueprint that makes me jealous even though the Braves have done well. Adding depreciating assets to trades (Upton,etc) lessened the scope of some deals. We need to offload the few value pieces left and intertwine this new infusion of talent for sustainable success.
    Did the White Sox have an asset as terrible as Melvin with a terrible contract? Serious question, I'm not sure.

Like I said before I think a lot of people here would be complaining endlessly about the Eaton deal if we were the team who made it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Yes the White Sox farm is almost certainly better than ours right now. However, you have to remember that the White Sox traded their high value assets much more recently. There has been far less time for attrition. Some guys they've traded for wont progress as hoped just like some of the guys we've stockpiled haven't progressed as hoped. You're starting to see that a little bit already with Giolito.

As time moves on the Sox stockpile will dwindle a bit. I don't see any reason to be particularly jealous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    The White Sox have done well, but there are two glaring differences in their rebuild. They traded all of their top players and we aurgueably kept our top two. Trade Julio last year and then trade Freeman ...then who has the best farm?

I'm changing my mind a little. Seeing how good the Dodgers and Houston are....can we really win it in the next 2-3 years?...or should we trade our biggest assets to target REAL contention in say 2020-2021. We have tried to ride the fence because of the new stadium and teams like Houston and the White Sox have not.

Agree with our approach or not....if the deals are there...we need to be hard sellers at the deadline.
    Absolutely. If we would have traded Freddie (I'm against it!), we could have gotten at least 2 top 50 prospects back. I imagine we have Moncada plus if Freeman was on the block.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Yes the White Sox farm is almost certainly better than ours right now. However, you have to remember that the White Sox traded their high value assets much more recently. There has been far less time for attrition. Some guys they've traded for wont progress as hoped just like some of the guys we've stockpiled haven't progressed as hoped. You're starting to see that a little bit already with Giolito.

As time moves on the Sox stockpile will dwindle a bit. I don't see any reason to be particularly jealous.
    The point remains that you can be competitive but must identify whether your approach is to maximize return or play the moderate game. The current team is fools gold and in that regard sell...sell...sell. We will see what happens soon.

And no. Melvin was sunk cost and as such adding him to any deal meant pennies on the dollar.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Did the White Sox have an asset as terrible as Melvin with a terrible contract? Serious question, I'm not sure.

Like I said before I think a lot of people here would be complaining endlessly about the Eaton deal if we were the team who made it.
    That's the thing about prospects, you can get a good deal (prospect ranking wise)....and they all tank. Scouts are so important in this deal if they blow their assement.

You can talk about our "bad deals", but you simply keep upton (and hope for a rebound) and don't sign Markakis. Ended up being the same money and cost us a haul. You also don't give up a promising young controllable arm and your #1 prospect for a 30+ year old. Those two decisions were so bad, it cancels out a lot of the good work Coppy has done. Take those two moves away (even with us keeping Julio and Freeman), and our farm is hands down #1.

Many times when you try to do two things at once...you end up very average on both fronts.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 07-19-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    The trend that I am noticing is that the price of RP has come back to normal (last year was insane) and the price of rental position players is very low. SP prices seem to be on the rise now. That is why all these deals seem like wins for the buyers except for Quintana.

It really, really like that we are building on SP. Hopefully over the next 3 years we will not only produce a rotation that rivals none in recent past but in the process we will also have young guys that can be traded after 2 years huge hauls to keep the farm set.

Picture next year we have a rotation of Teheran, Folty, Newcomb, Dickey, and Sims (then we bring up Allard/Soroka/Gohara). That gives up Dickey to trade....but wait....
    Then if Allard/Soroka/Gohara pitch well in 2018/2019 we have a rotation of Teheran, Folty, Newcomb, Allard, Soroka, Gohara with Anderson, Wilson, Wentz, Wright waiting in the wind. We then have 2-3 guys who should have as much value as Fulmer/Gray/Archer has right now.

Imagine we trade 2 of Teheran/Folty/Newcomb/Allard/Soroka/Gohara....what would we get in return....then wait for it....in 2020/2021 we then still have too many SP again and could sell 2-3 for another haul.

I know not all prospects make it, but what if a Weigel or Fried came back around.

This trade deadline just refreshed me liking our method....may not work...but it stands a chance.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    That's the thing about prospects, you can get a good deal (prospect ranking wise)....and they all tank. Scouts are so important in this deal if they blow their assement.

You can talk about our "bad deals", but you simply keep upton (and hope for a rebound) and don't sign Markakis. Ended up being the same money and cost us a haul. You also don't give up a promising young controllable arm and your #1 prospect for a 30+ year old. Those two decisions were so bad, it cancels out a lot of the good work Coppy has done. Take those two moves away (even with us keeping Julio and Freeman), and our farm is hands down #1.

Many times when you try to do two things at once...you end up very average on both fronts.
    Look, I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but it's pretty clear Melvin had to go. I'm not saying that makes it right that they attached him to Kimbrel. But I really don't think just keeping him and hoping for a rebound was an option. Every facet of his game was awful and I'd guess there were other problems.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    We got a better deal for one year of Heyward than the Sox got for 5 cheap years of Eaton. All hell would be breaking loose here if that's a deal Coppy made.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-19-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Great, too bad it took that long. Contenders have already made deals for parts the Braves should be selling. Meanwhile, Coppy is wasting time looking to add "win now" pieces.
    You said literally 2 days ago that the Braves should ride this out and not sell off.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-19-2017)