Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It's extremely close. I like Rutherford a lot, but he's disappointed so far, so not sure him alone puts them over the top. He dropped out of the top 50 prospects in the mid season lists.

Obviously, it's still a really good pull in a trade like this. I would be ecstatic if the Braves could receive anything remotely similar in return for a package of Adams, Vizcaino and JJ.
    Klaw doesn't.

I have not read a lot of good things on Rutherford...I think he'll live off his draft position for a while and decline.

The farm rankings are interesting, but it doesn't really matter. I like the talent under 25 rankings. Cubs may not have the system anymore but they have a lot of talent under 25.

Moncada is being called up so he might not be part of the rankings when they are re-done.

acquiring prospects is great. getting the right ones and development are just as important. we will see how things go.

Coppy has clearly made some mistakes. All GMs do. It matters if you hit more than you miss and how hard you hit and Miss. Olivera is a hard miss, we will see if Allard et al can hit enough to off set that.

Funny the Sox can have all of these controllable assets teams want to pay for and still be so crappy.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    This. Also, Ender didn't have near the value when we traded for him that he does now. Picking him up in that deal wasn't the stupidity of the D-Backs. He was the odd man out in a crowded outfield and not many at the time were surprised at his inclusion in a deal for Shelby.

This is why I don't want to trade our young pitchers yet. There has not been enough time to evaluate the players. We could EASILY trade a "odd man out" player that turns into an all star....just like Ender did.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Headley is a ~2 WAR player, so $13M is well worth him. Additionally, only 1 year is a great stop gap to buy us time to find a long term piece.

He'd be a good candiate to bridge the gap for us next year... much better than Prado et all

Rodriguez or even a Ruiz/Camargo platoon would produce as much or more as Headley for much less money than $13 million - and would be much better in the event that Andujar IS that "long-term piece" and is ready late next season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Rodriguez or even a Ruiz/Camargo platoon would produce as much or more as Headley for much less money than $13 million - and would be much better in the event that Andujar IS that "long-term piece" and is ready late next season.
    yeah, but what Harry proposes nets us Andujar.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    That logic is about 3 levels too deep for clv. I would recommend just giving up on explaining it to him.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    That's the point - does anyone want him badly enough to take on that much salary that gets in the way to get him???

The Yankees are going to start having to release guys if they add anyone else at this point anyway. If they need salary relief, I'd be happy to take back players on "expiring" deals that help clean up their roster. Warren's not needed in their pen, so take him back to make room for Garcia (or even Dickey - who's probably a better gamble in the AL East IMO), and take back their 5th OF (who's on the DL) to make room for Adams. Warren and Adams are almost an even salary swap, and while what's left on Garcia's deal is decidedly more than what they owe Hicks, we're the ones helping them - not the other way around.

There simply aren't many contracts I'd want less than Headley's - especially if I wasn't getting a "slam-dunk" prospect to take it.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    That's the point - does anyone want him badly enough to take on that much salary that gets in the way to get him???

The Yankees are going to start having to release guys if they add anyone else at this point anyway. If they need salary relief, I'd be happy to take back players on "expiring" deals that help clean up their roster. Warren's not needed in their pen, so take him back to make room for Garcia (or even Dickey - who's probably a better gamble in the AL East IMO), and take back their 5th OF (who's on the DL) to make room for Adams. Warren and Adams are almost an even salary swap, and while what's left on Garcia's deal is decidedly more than what they owe Hicks, we're the ones helping them - not the other way around.

There simply aren't many contracts I'd want less than Headley's - especially if I wasn't getting a "slam-dunk" prospect to take it.
    Harry has deemed 2018 a lost season. If you accept that as your premise, the rest flows logically.

"I am your retribution."

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I wouldn't say the #1 pick in the MLB draft is "spare parts".
    I agree...I was being sarcastic since you can judge a trade at the time (Braves obvious overpay) or later (may be different results).

People here want to trade Albies (Swanson), Allard/Soroka (Blair), and other (Inciarte) for Fulmer (~3.00 ERA pitcher in his 2nd year).

Seems like we could be the losers in that trade as much as Stewart was in the Miller trade????just a thought.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    Funny "fact"... Dansby is a failure but suckered us into thinking he was the franchise...so the joke is on us AND Blair is not even a good AAA pitcher. So did Dave Stewart make a bad trade. A sub-.300 ERA SP coming off a second quality year for a small streaky platoon CF and a couple spare parts???
    This is one of the worst posts in the history of this board.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Harry has deemed 2018 a lost season. If you accept that as your premise, the rest flows logically.
    This board isn't known for it's easy flow of logic haha.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    If you accept that 2018 is a lost season and don't trade both Freeman and Teheran, you're nuts.

Apparently the only people that have done that spend their time as message board posters rather than baseball executives.

That's great (and even fun) for discussions here, not so much if you're employed by the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    If you accept that 2018 is a lost season and don't trade both Freeman and Teheran, you're nuts.

Apparently the only people that have done that spend their time as message board posters rather than baseball executives.

That's great (and even fun) for discussions here, not so much if you're employed by the Braves.
    I'm sure Harry will respond in due course. But he has been very vocal about trading Teheran. He was once very much in favor of trading Freeman but seems to now favor giving him some sort of face-of-the-franchise exemption.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Cotillion: Market for Braves lefty Jaime Garcia heating up after strong start Sunday, source tells SBN. About six teams with strong interest.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Cotillion: Market for Braves lefty Jaime Garcia heating up after strong start Sunday, source tells SBN. About six teams with strong interest.
    Please trade him before his next start.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    trade Jaime and open up a rotational spot for Sims/Medlan/Blair/Wisler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post

According to Chris Cotillo of SB Nation, there are "about six teams with strong interest" in Braves starter Jaime Garcia.

Garcia was excellent on Sunday, working seven innings of one-run ball against a good Diamondbacks offense, though he owns a mediocre 4.33 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, and 81/40 K/BB ratio in 106 total innings (17 starts) this season for the Braves. The 31-year-old left-hander is owed around $4 million and scheduled to hit free agency this winter. He could be a back-end rotation rental for a contender.
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Klaw doesn't.

I have not read a lot of good things on Rutherford...I think he'll live off his draft position for a while and decline.

The farm rankings are interesting, but it doesn't really matter. I like the talent under 25 rankings. Cubs may not have the system anymore but they have a lot of talent under 25.

Moncada is being called up so he might not be part of the rankings when they are re-done.

acquiring prospects is great. getting the right ones and development are just as important. we will see how things go.

Coppy has clearly made some mistakes. All GMs do. It matters if you hit more than you miss and how hard you hit and Miss. Olivera is a hard miss, we will see if Allard et al can hit enough to off set that.

Funny the Sox can have all of these controllable assets teams want to pay for and still be so crappy.
    Several scouting reports on him last year were concerned that he was--for lack of a better term--a redshirt high school senior (19 when he graduated) and that extra year of physical maturity fueled his performance. He wasn't tearing up the SAL when traded and his pedigree suggests he should be doing better. Curious to see how he does going forward.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    Trade Garcia before his next start. I doubt it happens because the front office is waiting to see if our current projection of 2% chance of making the playoffs goes up in the next two weeks.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Chase Headley is owed something like 20 million dollars between now and the end of his contract (2018). In that time, he will give you roughly 1.5 to 3 WAR. Its not only not a terrible contract, but probably a perfect one to consider if the Yanks have to motivation to get rid of the contract. This is an odd post.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I'm sure Harry will respond in due course. But he has been very vocal about trading Teheran. He was once very much in favor of trading Freeman but seems to now favor giving him some sort of face-of-the-franchise exemption.
    We would be in so much better shape if the organization didn't have a 2017 goal of winning. Now, we want to compound the problem and go for it in 2018? This team is at least a couple years away from doing anything above praying to compete for the last wild card spot to get blasted in the first round.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe