Page 80 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    The return for Garcia is not going to be anything earth shaking. If we hold onto him until the end of the month and he has a couple bad games cooling off all interest in him, it's not a major loss.

Honestly, nothing we'd be willing to sell right now (Dickey, Garcia, Phillips) is particularly elite. There are better players on the block that will draw interest first. Right now we just need to wait. The better players that teams are actually willing to move are going to be moved or teams will fall out of the race for them. When that happens we'll have a better market for our guys. The market for second tier guys like these usually heats up in the days nearing the deadline as more teams turn to option B.

Waiting also gives us a chance to either fall farther out or start to climb back into it.

The benefits of waiting outweigh the drawbacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

I think you could argue that one both ways. Not clear to me that waiting is the right move with Garcia.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Interesting that a lot of evaluators don't like the White Sox's return in this deal.

https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/whi...underwhelming/

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Headley is a ~2 WAR player, so $13M is well worth him. Additionally, only 1 year is a great stop gap to buy us time to find a long term piece.

He'd be a good candiate to bridge the gap for us next year... much better than Prado et all
    I don't think much of Headley, but you're right that he'd be a decent bridge candidate. I would prefer him to investing 3 or 4 years in Todd Frazier.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-19-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think you could argue that one both ways. Not clear to me that waiting is the right move with Garcia.
    The biggest value is opening up a rotation sport to see what we got in the kiddies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-20-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Chase Headley is owed something like 20 million dollars between now and the end of his contract (2018). In that time, he will give you roughly 1.5 to 3 WAR. Its not only not a terrible contract, but probably a perfect one to consider if the Yanks have to motivation to get rid of the contract. This is an odd post.
    Do you have any clue how much 1.5 to 3 WAR costs on the FA market?

Of course you don't, so I'll tell you:

$15M-$30M.

Headley's contract isn't that bad at all. It's not good, but if the Braves get him for a nothing prospect it could be a decent move.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The return for Garcia is not going to be anything earth shaking. If we hold onto him until the end of the month and he has a couple bad games cooling off all interest in him, it's not a major loss.

Honestly, nothing we'd be willing to sell right now (Dickey, Garcia, Phillips) is particularly elite. There are better players on the block that will draw interest first. Right now we just need to wait. The better players that teams are actually willing to move are going to be moved or teams will fall out of the race for them. When that happens we'll have a better market for our guys. The market for second tier guys like these usually heats up in the days nearing the deadline as more teams turn to option B.

Waiting also gives us a chance to either fall farther out or start to climb back into it.

Agree with what you said about our pieces not being elite, but the SP market is very weak right now. The Giants pitchers are expensive and/or are a mess. Padres have Clayton Richard. Tigers would ship Verlander at a price nobody will be wanting to pay. Sonny Gray. Who else? Not a whole lot out there. The Rangers don't know what they are doing. It's basically Gray and a bunch of below average pitchers.

If there was ever a time to trade Garcia or Dickey, it's now. Won't ever get a higher return for them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Interesting that a lot of evaluators don't like the White Sox's return in this deal.

https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/whi...underwhelming/
    A lot of folks are over rating Kahnle. They seem to weigh the 30 amazing innings this year more heavily than the 120 mediocre innings he posted before that.

BP arms are the most volatile asset in the game. I think the Sox did well to sell high on him.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

$15M-$30M.

Headley's contract isn't that bad at all. It's not good, but if the Braves get him for a nothing prospect it could be a decent move.
    You're literally supporting his point while simultaneously insulting him

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-19-2017), mfree80 (07-19-2017), Tapate50 (07-19-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

$15M-$30M.

I read it a couple of times before understanding it also, but giles was saying that Headley's contract wasn't bad.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I read it a couple of times before understanding it also, but giles was saying that Headley's contract wasn't bad.
    Hmm, I suppose I should just stop assuming 100% of what he posts is wrong.

I'll dial it back to 90% and read his babble more carefully haha.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Taking Headley back to help them with their payroll crunch is about as counterproductive as it gets.

Make sure I get this right - you want Andujar so bad that you're willing to swap Garcia for Headley (more or less salary neutral for this season), AND tie up $13 million (instead of whatever Adams stands to make in arbitration next winter) of our 2018 payroll for someone who will contribute less offensively if he plays every day than Adams would off the bench?

The Yankees HAVE the money - they just don't want to spend it. That's their problem. If I'm giving them two pieces they can really use because their fans are pressuring them to win this year, let Cashman do his job and figure out if it's worth going to ownership to find out if it's OK if he exceeds the cap to do so. If they absolutely have to have some salary relief, tell them we'll take Aaron Hicks' and Adam Warren's money back - they're not guaranteed anything next year - that would help with their roster crunch plus cover Adams' money AND clear up their OF logjam.

I like him and all, but Andujar isn't a good enough prospect to be trading useful MLB pieces AND taking on useless dead money for - and Headley would do nothing but get in the way here. If Andujar needs more time, we've already got Rodriguez.

Are you sure you're not a closet Yankees fan?
    This is funny. So much wrong here.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Headley is a ~2 WAR player, so $13M is well worth him. Additionally, only 1 year is a great stop gap to buy us time to find a long term piece.

He'd be a good candiate to bridge the gap for us next year... much better than Prado et all
    exactly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Adams and Garcia for Headley!

WC 2018!!

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Harry has deemed 2018 a lost season. If you accept that as your premise, the rest flows logically.
    Not a lost season. The first season where you can expect to begin to build to contender status. 2017 is and should be a lost season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Headley is a very mediocre baseball player. So much so that the Yankees just traded for the 3b version of Chris Carter to replace him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Headley is a very mediocre baseball player. So much so that the Yankees just traded for the 3b version of Chris Carter to replace him.
    Frazier is probably going to play 1B

Try again...

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

$15M-$30M.

Of course I understand what that gets on the FA market, which is why I made the point I did and you backed it up despite all the other drivel added. I guess comprehension is something you struggle with.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Frazier is probably going to play 1B

Try again...
    Well, I guess I'm wrong there, but Todd Frazier could play shortstop and Headley would still be a mediocre baseball player.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I'm sure Harry will respond in due course. But he has been very vocal about trading Teheran. He was once very much in favor of trading Freeman but seems to now favor giving him some sort of face-of-the-franchise exemption.
    Yes. Teheran should have been traded and now that he has strung together some good starts and rebuilt his value "a bit," with the premium on SP for real contenders, I would see what he would bring back. I wouldn't need to obviously "win" a deal to move him, not near a Quintana deal which won't happen now anyway, but...say Houston was willing to go Teheran and Viz for OF Fisher, C Rogers and OF Gilberto Celestino then you make that move.

As for trading Freeman, I think that when the rebuild was obviously in full force, I would have shopped him hard to see if I could have gotten a premium return for him, but now, I can't see any way to trade him. To be fair to Freddie, he has advanced to where he is now a true "face of the franchise" kind of player. I've always maintained that to be a FoF type player, said player must be at least top three at his position in baseball. I think Freddie is now in that group (Votto, Goldschmidt - guys like Rizzo, Bellinger are close).

Trading Freeman 1-2 years ago would have brought more quantity and quality talent to the team and given the FO time to replace Freeman before the window begins to open (either internally or through FA). But now, it's too late for that I think.