Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Bc
    1. You can't get a rep for just dumping guys. Call their bluff that you have a standard.
    2. Those guys have value. If Phillips was playing like jace albies would prob be up. For a million bucks we get another year of control on albies plus decent MLB production. I don't think the are dumb enough to promote acuna but markakis could do that for us next year.

Yes every piece has value. Maybe they hit line drury. Maybe someone accepts a poo poo platter. But I'm not giving guys away
    The reputation for trading veterans at the end of their contract to contenders is pretty irrelevant.

Trading Phillips doesn't mean you have to promote Albies. Trading Markakis doesn't mean you have to promote Acuna.

Personally, I think if you can turn Phillips into the next Camargo/Jace then that has some value. If you can trade him into the next Demeritte, maybe that has value. If you can turn him an AJ Minter or a Vizcaino, or whatever, that has value.

He has very little value as an expiring contract on a team that is not in contention.

I'd be perfectly willing to move the vets.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    This is where I disagree, no farm system is ever deep enough where you can't use more pieces.

I have no issues trading superfluous vets for FV 40 type guys if they have some promise or really young. A guy like Derian Cruz who struggled initially or a guy like Alex Jackson who's fallen out of favor. Hell guys like Whalen/Gant are fine too if you can't get something better - we used those pieces to get other things.

I'm not giving guys away, but I'm also not demanding great pieces.
    If the goal was to win 75-80 games this year, and 80+ games next year, it makes little sense to trade away guys controlled through next year for some organizational filler.

Adams, Viz, and JJ can play roles on the team next year, so keep them unless they can be used as part of a package to get a legit prospect line Andujar. They represent half of a competent BP, and the most legit bench bat the Braves have had since...a long time.

Garcia and Phillips will not be part of next year's team, so I have no issue with the Braves selling those guys for filler. Those guys deserve to be traded to a contender anyways. They have done nothing but represent the Braves in the most professional manner.

I'm assuming Kemp and Markakis are considered part of The Core and have next to 0% chance of being traded.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A FV 40 gucthat likely has to move to 1B is exactly the kind of prospect I want the Braves to avoid. If that's all they can get I'd rather see Viz pitch for a much better 2018 Braves team.
    We're getting along a whole lot more lately... in all seriousness, when you're not overly degrading to people, you put out fantastic information that I learn a lot from. Can we bury the hatchet? Maybe just keep the banter friendly? I'm just as bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Don't fall for the mirage. This isn't a .500 team.

I said before the month began that June was a horrible schedule where the braves would play all the worst teams in baseball, most at home. Even the Brewers were due for a collapse.

The Braves should get best available return for any player who doesn't have a serious future role.
    We aren't falling for the mirage... but is Coppy? I still want to keep Matt Adams unless someone way overreacts and gives us great value.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The reputation for trading veterans at the end of their contract to contenders is pretty irrelevant.

Trading Phillips doesn't mean you have to promote Albies. Trading Markakis doesn't mean you have to promote Acuna.

Personally, I think if you can turn Phillips into the next Camargo/Jace then that has some value. If you can trade him into the next Demeritte, maybe that has value. If you can turn him an AJ Minter or a Vizcaino, or whatever, that has value.

He has very little value as an expiring contract on a team that is not in contention.

I'd be perfectly willing to move the vets.
    Trading guys is not what I said. Trading in the cheap is. I'm sure we are getting nothing offers now. Teams are saying why not get something. You have to show you will stick to your guns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    A FV 40 gucthat likely has to move to 1B is exactly the kind of prospect I want the Braves to avoid. If that's all they can get I'd rather see Viz pitch for a much better 2018 Braves team.
    I'm assuming your pulling this from the FanGraphs writeup from before the season where he was assigned a 40 FV. Well the kid has broken out in a big way this year. He's leading the SAL league in hitting as a 19 year old, which is nothing to sniff at. Longenhagen is speculating he might have to move to 1B, but that's not a certainty.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Trading guys is not what I said. Trading in the cheap is. I'm sure we are getting nothing offers now. Teams are saying why not get something. You have to show you will stick to your guns
    No one is advocating trading these guys for the first offer that comes along. It has to be an offer the FO thinksis worth it. That may come along if multiple teams show a little interest.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Isn't Srod supposed to be back the first week of August? He could play 2B if Phillips is traded or 3B if Adams is traded and Freddie goes back to 1B.

We haven't heard much about him, but I can see some "news" coming out soon to help us out in negotiations on whatever the plan may be.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    While these won't necessarily fit someone's perceived value chart, if I'm Coppy I...

Get Cashman on the horn and offer him Adams, Dickey, and Vizcaino for Dustin Fowler and Andujar. Given their system, both guys are "redundant" players with Judge, Frazier, Torres, and Rutherford on board PLUS they have control of all three pieces for next season as well - if Bird ever does get back, Adams can DH next season and they don't need to bring Holliday back. Viz gives them back the lockdown pen they had before trading pieces off last summer.

Then call Duquette and tell him he can have Garcia, Big Sexy, Markakis, Flowers and $15 million for Chance Sisco and Anthony Santander. Helps them in LOTS of places.

Also let the Dodgers know that if they want pen and clubhouse help that you're willing to move Johnson, Motte, or Krol, and Dat Dude (and pay the balance of their 2017 salaries) for their choice of Starling Heredia or Will Smith.

Fowler replaces Markakis in RF right away. Andujar is your starter at 3B next season, you use Camargo, Jace, and Rio at 2B and 3B the rest of this season. Suzuki finishes the season behind the plate, and Cisco steps in next season. Newcomb stays in the rotation for good with Julio and Folty, and you give Sims a look relatively soon. Sign Lance Lynn or Jason Vargas this winter to be your #3 and use next spring as a completely open battle for the last two rotation spots between Newcomb, Wisler, Sims, Blair, Soroka. Allard, Wright, Fried, and Weigel (assuming he's pitching next season). If Sims doesn't win one of those spots, he starts the 2018 season as Gwinnett's closer with the understanding that if he proves as good in that job as everyone thinks he could be that he may well be closing in SunTrust by the All-Star break.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    LOL, Adams, Dickey and Viz for Fowler AND Andujar? Wow...

I stopped reading right there. Talk about having no clue how to value assets haha!

If the Braves can get one of Fowler/Andujar for the trio of Adams/Garcia/Viz we should count that as a win.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I could see us trading Adams and Phillips and trading for Prado in a separate deal. You'd then have Prado at 3B and Srod at 2B with Camargo filling in until he's ready then backing up he and Prado.

You could go in to next season set at every position and then focus on upgrades and depth instead of filling holes.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Susan Slusser reported the Braves were among the Cubs, Red Sox, M's, and Blue Jays scouting Gray.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Susan Slusser reported the Braves were among the Cubs, Red Sox, M's, and Blue Jays scouting Gray.
    We face him tomorrow. I hope we are scouting him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Looking forward to spending all of July reading silly posts about the Braves trading for Sonny Gray lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Looking forward to spending all of July reading silly posts about the Braves trading for Sonny Gray lol.
    if we can pick up a starter who can help us beyond this year I'd be fine with it...all depends on the price
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    We face him tomorrow. I hope we are scouting him.
    who's we

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    if we can pick up a starter who can help us beyond this year I'd be fine with it...all depends on the price
    It would be silly to pay the premium for him this year when he wouldn't pitch meaningful games. The Braves will not be the only team interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    It would be silly to pay the premium for him this year when he wouldn't pitch meaningful games. The Braves will not be the only team interested.
    I agree it is unlikely we can make that kind of deal on terms favorable to the Braves. The off-season is more likely.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    who's we
    Sorry. I was a dummy. July 1st. My calendar was advanced ahead. I wouldn't function without my calendar. It rules me.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    I'm not saying that I think the Braves will trade for Gray, but at some point, a TOR starter will be needed as more of the young pitchers start to knock in the door of making the majors. Unfortunately, our hopes for Teheran to be that guy is not working out. It makes sense to scout Gray. However, I think personally, that type of deal is more likely in the offseason.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide