Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folks who believe the same FO that brought in HO, Kemp and the trio of Garcia/Colon/Dickey to make the Braves competitive in 2017 is going to suddenly start making awesome decisions with the MLB roster are....not smart.
    They've also made plenty of good moves. You tend to focus almost incessantly on the bad ones.

This is the same front office that found great value with Flowers, brought us Inciarte, flipped Gattis for Folty and smartly held onto Freeman during the rebuild when his value was much lower.

Colon/Dickey/Garcia were brought in to eat innings and keep some of our young arms at AAA, they weren't brought in to lead the team to the playoffs; and frankly Garcia and Dickey were/are fine.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Folks who believe the same FO that brought in HO, Kemp and the trio of Garcia/Colon/Dickey to make the Braves competitive in 2017 is going to suddenly start making awesome decisions with the MLB roster are....not smart.
    My hope is that Coppy was pressured into earlier (partial rebuild) moves. He was firmly "kicked in the teeth", and has not only learned from the mistakes made, but now has more freedom to do what he wants to do. That's my hope. The deadline and off season will "tell the tale". If they are going to make big, rebuild damaging moves...it will be this deadline and this offseason. Plenty of help will be here in 2019, so we will see if they are danged and determined to speed the rebuild by handing away major future assets.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    They've also made plenty of good moves. You tend to focus almost incessantly on the bad ones.

This is the same front office that found great value with Flowers, brought us Inciarte, flipped Gattis for Folty and smartly held onto Freeman during the rebuild when his value was much lower.

Colon/Dickey/Garcia were brought in to eat innings and keep some of our young arms at AAA, they weren't brought in to lead the team to the playoffs; and frankly Garcia and Dickey were/are fine.
    Shh it is easier to say blah blah blah.. haha.. look at the Bad FO.. something about narrative and fitting..
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Nothing at all wrong with Colon/Dickey/Garcia/Phillips/Suzuki signings. They gave up zero part of their future and fielded a competitive team. Dickey and Garcia have been more more or less ok and as the song says, two out of three aint bad.

I'm much happier that they did that than commit long term dollars to overpay someone for years to come that still wouldn't have made them a good team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Who believes that? You seem to be the only one who either believes it or pretends to believe it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Nothing at all wrong with Colon/Dickey/Garcia/Phillips/Suzuki signings. They gave up zero part of their future and fielded a competitive team. Dickey and Garcia have been more more or less ok and as the song says, two out of three aint bad.

I'm much happier that they did that than commit long term dollars to overpay someone for years to come that still wouldn't have made them a good team.
    every one bitching about the FO right now would completely agree with this.. however, the pile on mentality is starting to build. so now signing these guys has become a negative... funny really.
    Coppy

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    so now signing these guys has become a negative... funny really.
    I'm still reservedly optimistic about the FO and the general direction of the team headed forward, but I have no problem criticizing (or reading legitimate, constructive criticism of) the Colon/Dickey/Suzuki/Phillips/Garcia acquisitions. They were, generally speaking, questionable allocations of resources simply designed to prop up the facade of the Braves contending in 2017. I agree with the notion that they didn't hurt the Braves, per se, but perhaps those resources could have been better utilized in a fashion which positioned the Braves toward legitimate contention in 2018 and beyond.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-27-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    every one bitching about the FO right now would completely agree with this.. however, the pile on mentality is starting to build. so now signing these guys has become a negative... funny really.
    I don't count Colon as a bad move. It was a calculated risk that we lost, but was totally worth the gamble to bridge the gap. I think the last thing I disagreed with was promoting Dansby so soon and not trading Julio at max value last year. Wasn't a fan of Kemp, but that was noting more than a PR move to mop up the HO debacle.I can name many more "good" moves they have made. Most of the big mistakes came earlier on when they thought they could rebuild and compete at the same time. I don't know who was really behind those early moves as I feel Coppy was still answering to the John's.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    But this is what happened with Kemp. We are stuck with him because of a really stupid, short sighted decision

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I guess it comes back to your definition of competitive. I don't think anyone thought those guys were going to make this team competitive for a championship. You can just drop that narrative.

I do believe they wanted this team to be improved, more interesting, and to show progress. They did want to give the fans a reason to come besides the new ballpark. So, by competitive... they wanted to have a chance to win more games, show progress in the rebuild, be fun and interesting to watch. By that definition they succeeded. Had things gone perfectly, they might have been sniffing a WC slot (not likely, but in the conversation).

I agree, if they thought this team was going to compete for a title they failed... but I don't think they or anyone ever thought that.

Different definition of competitive I guess.
    Last edited by mfree80; 07-27-2017 at 01:34 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-27-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I'm happy they're not a completely terrible team this year.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    But this is what happened with Kemp. We are stuck with him because of a really stupid, short sighted decision
    The HO trade is an example of how only ONE short sighted move can hurt you. I put it right up there with the Shelby trade. The Dodger knew they had made a mistake, and flipped the crap out of it. Note to the FO: No one trades a guy they just won a biding war to sign for 60 mil, unless something is up.

It cost us so much young talent and then resulted us making the Kemp PR move. It was a double whammy.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Joel Sherman
    @Joelsherman1
    #Yankees have also stayed engaged with #Braves on Adams, but nothing seen close and NYY's big focus is to get a SP

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Who say no first?

Teheran for Kyle Lewis +?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Twins are contemplating selling off Jaime Garcia.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Twins are contemplating selling off Jaime Garcia.
    Did I-Me even pitch for the Twinkies yet?
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Who say no first?

I hope the Braves. The problem is the Mariners don't have a plus.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Who say no first?

Sure if it was Matt Kemp and Teheran for Kyle Lewis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Joel Sherman
    @Joelsherman1
    #Yankees have also stayed engaged with #Braves on Adams, but nothing seen close and NYY's big focus is to get a SP
    Adams and Teheran would bring back what from the Yankees?

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Adams and Teheran would bring back what from the Yankees?
    I'd imagine Florial + a few lesser pieces. Law compared Florial to Cameron Maybin today, and I think that's a good comparison at this stage.