Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Rumblings being mentioned on XM are a Sheffield, Florial or Mateo (some scouts predicting Mateo shifts to CF), plus package for Gray. If that is the case, it's at least understandable that we're still being talked about as still "in". If the Yankees aren't willing to go higher, an Anderson, Pache, Wentz offer would conceivably be better - especially if Beane likes the recent helium for Wentz.
    supposedly they don't want pitchers...they want hitters.

I don't think Gray fits for us.

If we get Gray I'd do it in the offseason and Pache + Mueller is about as far as I'd go for long term assets. I could be talked into Riley b/c I don't know what the real scouts think on him. I'd give them Ruiz or Wisler or Blair for window dressing. I assumed they'd like Sims.

It's only 2 years. You could maybe extend him but the injuries make you worry about the extension.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'd be ok giving up Pache and Wentz, but not if you also add Anderson on top of that.
    I don't disagree with anyone on either side of the argument to be honest, but if that type of offer ultimately gets Gray I can definitely understand why we're being mentioned as still being in the mix for him.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Bowman says that she mething could develop in the next few hours but as of now everything is quiet on the braves front....as expected, also some dynamite reporting by mark bowman.
    Get off my lawn!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    supposedly they don't want pitchers...they want hitters.

I don't think Gray fits for us.

If we get Gray I'd do it in the offseason and Pache + Mueller is about as far as I'd go for long term assets. I could be talked into Riley b/c I don't know what the real scouts think on him. I'd give them Ruiz or Wisler or Blair for window dressing. I assumed they'd like Sims.

It's only 2 years. You could maybe extend him but the injuries make you worry about the extension.
    The only "want" I've seen associated with them is a CF. Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't reports I've missed. Pache does fit that, and I'm not sure there's ever been a more "highest offer" guy than Beane. That's really the only thing I think is fueling the idea that we're still sniffing around - the fact that the better package of lower prospects (outside our presumed untouchables and the Yankees presumed untouchables) would likely come from us.

FWIW, I think we're just "in" to create the excitement. If we're really going to move multiple prospects for a TOR arm, I just don't see how that guy isn't Archer - and that obviously won't happen until this winter.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Bowman says that she mething could develop in the next few hours but as of now everything is quiet on the braves front....as expected, also some dynamite reporting by mark bowman.
    Who is Mething? Someone needs to intervene...
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The only "want" I've seen associated with them is a CF. Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't reports I've missed. Pache does fit that, and I'm not sure there's ever been a more "highest offer" guy than Beane. That's really the only thing I think is fueling the idea that we're still sniffing around - the fact that the better package of lower prospects (outside our presumed untouchables and the Yankees presumed untouchables) would likely come from us.

FWIW, I think we're just "in" to create the excitement. If we're really going to move multiple prospects for a TOR arm, I just don't see how that guy isn't Archer - and that obviously won't happen until this winter.
    I think we should be in. When there is an opportunity to improve the club you should be in. You just have to have your senses about you for your top offer. So far it seems like Coppy has learned that lesson from Olivera. If we can get Gray on the cheap, then yes. If he gets his worth in future value then no. Maybe in a year or two another situation comes up where it makes sense to make the big move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Sadly the only rental investment we made in the offseason that had any trade value was Garcia and it wasn't much value at that. Colon was a disaster, Dickey has been decent but his salary robs him of any value. No one is going to part with anything of value for Phillips. And while Suzuki has been a solid backup catcher, you don't exactly get big offers for a rental backup catcher.

Johnson has had excellent peripherals this year but there's a ton of uncertainty with him. He faceplanted for the Dodgers a couple years ago and hasn't been the model of consistency for us.

I just don't see anything developing. That's okay though. Better to make no trades than to make bad ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    ESPN had an article for moves for every team behind insider. They had Kemp plus 25 million to the Royals. That would be so great. I hope they do that.

IIRC we owed Olivera 60 million through 2020. IF we got some innings eaten in LF and we only have to eat 25 million that would be a victory in my book. Doubt Coppy would admit it enough to send that kind of cash. But it would be great for us. Royals seem to be going all in and they have crap at DH.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Sadly the only rental investment we made in the offseason that had any trade value was Garcia and it wasn't much value at that. Colon was a disaster, Dickey has been decent but his salary robs him of any value. No one is going to part with anything of value for Phillips. And while Suzuki has been a solid backup catcher, you don't exactly get big offers for a rental backup catcher.

Johnson has had excellent peripherals this year but there's a ton of uncertainty with him. He faceplanted for the Dodgers a couple years ago and hasn't been the model of consistency for us.

I just don't see anything developing. That's okay though. Better to make no trades than to make bad ones.
    agree. Garcia was meh. I still think he was worth the trade and the money. I don't think it's obvious/no doubt/amazing but I feel that way.

Phillips has been a huge win IMO. Just keeping Ozzie down has been worth the 1 million. Sending Swanson down may be a by product though. I don't think him being a big trade piece was ever considered.

Dickey is ok. I'd like him to start at the 5 spot next year and then become the long man since we'll have a bunch of young guys who will go 5-6 innings most starts. He can pitch every day.

Colon was a disaster....but at least all he cost was not our money. I still think it was a good gamble given what we knew. Got us an extra year of Newk and/or Sims.

Suziki I thought was a terrible sign and he's been fun.

We shouldn't be making any move that dramatically changes things unless they move Flowers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    ESPN had an article for moves for every team behind insider. They had Kemp plus 25 million to the Royals. That would be so great. I hope they do that.

IIRC we owed Olivera 60 million through 2020. IF we got some innings eaten in LF and we only have to eat 25 million that would be a victory in my book. Doubt Coppy would admit it enough to send that kind of cash. But it would be great for us. Royals seem to be going all in and they have crap at DH.
    I highly doubt it since they just acquired Melky.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-31-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I'm glad we probably won't make some big dumb trade giving up some of our prospects that I don't really want to give up. It's pretty surprising though, with all the spare parts that we have that an underwhelming Garcia trade is likely our only move. We made more moves last year, with really less to offer and still acquired TD and three or four others.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I'm glad we probably won't make some big dumb trade giving up some of our prospects that I don't really want to give up. It's pretty surprising though, with all the spare parts that we have that an underwhelming Garcia trade is likely our only move. We made more moves last year, with really less to offer and still acquired TD and three or four others.
    We have parts that can be traded after the deadline too. There are some parts that will easily pass waiver wires. I still don't think we make many moves though. I think this year is basically for the fans. Keep a half way decent team out there to battle to get as close to .500 as possible.. then tear down in the winter and start mixing in parts again.
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    We have parts that can be traded after the deadline too. There are some parts that will easily pass waiver wires. I still don't think we make many moves though. I think this year is basically for the fans. Keep a half way decent team out there to battle to get as close to .500 as possible.. then tear down in the winter and start mixing in parts again.
    If they want to do something for the fans...they should try to get the best pick possible for next year. Getting someone like Wright at five does way more for the team's future than winning 78 games instead of 74. Trade the vets for a bag of balls...who cares at this point. Let the young guys like Dansby play...way more interesting to me.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    If they want to do something for the fans...they should try to get the best pick possible for next year. Getting someone like Wright at five does way more for the team's future than winning 78 games instead of 74. Trade the vets for a bag of balls...who cares at this point. Let the young guys like Dansby play...way more interesting to me.
    We really don't have many more 'young' guys to play. I would try to get Kemp as healthy as possible.. Maybe a strong finish and we can dump him and half his salary to an AL team for nothing. Then let Neck ride out his contract next year. I am fine with Swanson in AAA. He can get 'right' down there. Let Adams continue to do what he does and maybe we can dump him this off season for a lottery ticket. Make Johan our utility guy along with S-rod. Have Acuna and Ozzy start after the first two weeks next season.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    What a boring deadline league wide this year.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

Dickey has been a great signing. Much better than decent. A 2.0-2.5 War pitcher making only 8 million a year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Gray to the Yanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    For 3 prospects that's aren't that great. Mateo is the headliner

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Gray for Fowler, Mateo, Kap. Underwhelming return based solely on the health of Kap and Fowler.

Glad we didn't. But surprised we couldn't have offered a better package.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Glad we didn't make a big move. Might take a little longer but we have something special brewing imo.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.