Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    If not traded, there is a good chance Adams will be non-tendered in the offseason...
    Having gotten rid of Rodriguez, I'm not sure they will non-tender. I think they'll see him as possibly giving them a game or two a week in the field and being first pinch hitter off the bench, but I am also sure they will look to see if they can trade him as well. It is an awkward roster fit.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Having gotten rid of Rodriguez, I'm not sure they will non-tender. I think they'll see him as possibly giving them a game or two a week in the field and being first pinch hitter off the bench, but I am also sure they will look to see if they can trade him as well. It is an awkward roster fit.
    He won't be non tendered. My guess he is traded to the Rays. Seems like a good fit.

I'd think about making Rio the backup 1B who can play some 3B

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    I like the idea of Verlander or Hamels. No thank you on Longoria. He's under contract for 7 more years and isn't the superstar he once was.

I still say Kemp for Ian Kennedy makes a ton of sense for both teams.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    If not traded, there is a good chance Adams will be non-tendered in the offseason...
    He will probably make close $5m next season. If nobody wants to trade for him now, nobody will trade for him in the offseason.

There is a pretty good chance (50/50) the Braves dump him and someone gets him on a deal for $3m per year for 1-2 years. He will make a good platoon bat at 1B for an AL team with a good RHed hitting guy already on the roster.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He will probably make close $5m next season. If nobody wants to trade for him now, nobody will trade for him in the offseason.

There is a pretty good chance (50/50) the Braves dump him and someone gets him on a deal for $3m per year for 1-2 years. He will make a good platoon bat at 1B for an AL team with a good RHed hitting guy already on the roster.
    I agree.

If the Braves want something for him the time is now. SR was a Util guy while Adams is essentially a 1B/PH only. It's hard to see the Braves deciding that is a good bench spend when they likely will have one (or both) of Kemp/Markakis making big money and filling that role.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am not so sure Adams would clear waivers. He would be more of an off season type trade imo.
    Not sure who would claim him now that Alonso is in Seattle - especially if you think the Braves are liable just to let you have him to clear the money and roster spot for 2018.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure who would claim him now that Alonso is in Seattle - especially if you think the Braves are liable just to let you have him to clear the money and roster spot for 2018.
    most of his 2017 salary is paid... anyone, including the Braves, can non tender him next year. why would any AL contender not pick up a bench bat that could platoon as a DH/1B... basically a free player who has power. 2018 salary is not even a discussion with Adams.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    most of his 2017 salary is paid... anyone, including the Braves, can non tender him next year. why would any AL contender not pick up a bench bat that could platoon as a DH/1B... basically a free player who has power. 2018 salary is not even a discussion with Adams.
    Again, exactly which one do you expect to claim him to block him? Not questioning your thought process (sure he makes sense from a money standpoint), but who else is going to spend a prospect to keep the Yankees from getting him now that the Mariners got their 1B - especially if you're likely to non-tender him this winter?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Dat Dude cleared waivers per MLBTR.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to seanyates For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-11-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Again, exactly which one do you expect to claim him to block him? Not questioning your thought process (sure he makes sense from a money standpoint), but who else is going to spend a prospect to keep the Yankees from getting him now that the Mariners got their 1B - especially if you're likely to non-tender him this winter?
    why does that team have to spend a prospect. They can make a claim on him without trading for him. The Braves would have to pull him back and then couldn't put him back on conditional waivers. that is all I am saying. If I was an AL team, I would most certainly claim Adams for a few million left this year and the option to keep him next year. If nothing else, call the Braves hand.
    Coppy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Someone needs to do a bit of reseach on how waiver claims and trades work before commenting on these topics. Par for the course.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-11-2017 at 03:46 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyates View Post
    Dat Dude cleared waivers per MLBTR.
    This legitimately surprises me. He is making next to nothing, would provide average production at 2b, and nobody wanted him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Someone needs to do a bit of reseach on how waiver claims and trades work before commenting on these topics. Par for the course.
    Don't be so hard on yourself. If you need help with the waiver process, I help you for that lawnmower you got for sale

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    why does that team have to spend a prospect. They can make a claim on him without trading for him. The Braves would have to pull him back and then couldn't put him back on conditional waivers. that is all I am saying. If I was an AL team, I would most certainly claim Adams for a few million left this year and the option to keep him next year. If nothing else, call the Braves hand.
    That's the only point I was making - that there aren't many (if any) teams left that he makes sense for. As others have mentioned several times though, there's really not much reason for the Braves to just let him go for the salary savings. As you mention, there's no reason they couldn't just walk away from him too if they couldn't trade him before the non-tender date - just like Phillips, Adams won't cost them any money next season if they decide they don't want him. If the claiming team didn't offer at least a marginal prospect, it doesn't make much sense to cut Adams (or Dat Dude for that matter) loose before this winter given how little money he's owed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    This legitimately surprises me. He is making next to nothing, would provide average production at 2b, and nobody wanted him.
    I believe the claiming team would be on the hook for his entire salary, including what the Reds owe him.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (08-11-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Something I read a while back stated that the money the Reds sent with BP wouldn't stay with him on a trade or waiver claim. If true then a claiming team would be required to pick up the remainder of his full salary - roughly $4 million.

I'm not sure if you meant $4.2 MM is next to nothing (almost certainly is for some teams), or if you were referring only to the portion the Braves are effectively paying him.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I wonder.... If a claiming team would have to pick up the whole contract, not just the Braves portion? Still not bad this late in the season, but that might have played a role. That should/could make him easier to trade now that he has cleared.

Ooops... Didn't see the above posts before posting my reply.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Money paid by one team to facilitate the trade of a player is typically sent to the new team if that player is traded again. We see it happening right now with the money the Dodgers are giving to SD for Kemp being forwarded to Atlanta.

Of course, the Braves have been exceedingly cheap this deadline, so it wouldn't surprise me if they just pocketed the cash sent over by the Reds.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Of course, the Braves have been exceedingly cheap this deadline, so it wouldn't surprise me if they just pocketed the cash sent over by the Reds.
    How so?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Both trades they have made were done strictly to shed payroll. I don't think they could have pinched the purse strings any more tightly under the current MLB transaction rules.