Page 31 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I'd be ok with that package, but again...does Quintana make us a contender...no.
    Quintana, or a pitcher like him, might make the Braves a contender at the deadline next year. That would be the time to pull the trigger on acquiring a controllable #2...not now.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Quintana, or a pitcher like him, might make the Braves a contender at the deadline next year. That would be the time to pull the trigger on acquiring a controllable #2...not now.
    Exactly right. Just too early.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I have to hope that the FO is allowing themselves to be used by the Chisox to drive up the price for Q which in turn pulls through a higher price for Teheran.

It's the only thing that makes any sense at all to me. As others have said, the Chisox have to get some bats back and the Braves don't have bats to give.

I guess I would do an Albies plus Riley, Fried and Touki trade where the Braves obviously win (Chisox wouldn't do it), but only if I knew I could turn around and trade him to a team like the Cubs for something along the lines of Jimenez, Cease and De La Cruz - essentially shuffling the prospect deck. I would do it because I value Jimenez greater than Albies since Jimenez would likely bring a more productive bat as opposed to a table setting bat. 2B are easier to find than top shelf OF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    If we could get Gray for say Anderson, I think I'd rather do that than part with Allard and Soroka for Quintana.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-11-2017), jpx7 (07-11-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Why would we trade anything of value for Prado? And I'm a Prado fan. But you're trading not 1, but 2 worthwhile prospects for someone with a sub .700 OPS and who will be 34 in a few months... Why???

And yes, I see that you're having them eat money, but it's rather pointless. They'll likely be forced to eat money to trade him anyways.
    Just throwing *hit out there - slow afternoon when I had a sec to poke my head in. Was better than a discussion about Freeman's lack of range at 3B that we all recognized before he played over there IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I'd be ok with that package, but again...does Quintana make us a contender...no.
    Two pitchers won't magically make us legit contenders, especially when one of them is a middle reliever. But they do help make us close. Swarzak helps stabilize the pen while Viz is on the DL. Quintana obviously helps to stabilize the rotation. Both additions benefit the 2018 team as well.

The offense is pretty good. Not great obviously, but good enough to win a bunch of games if we had better pitching. And we hopefully get a good boost from S-Rod in the 2nd half as well. Assuming that trade went down, being a legit contender the rest of the way would require JT to keep up his recent form, Quintana to pitch considerably better in the NL, and for Folty to continue to improve and not regress. I feel pretty confident between Newcomb, Garcia, and Dickey that we can get about league average production from some combination the rest of the way. And obviously staying mostly injury free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If we could get Gray for say Anderson, I think I'd rather do that than part with Allard and Soroka for Quintana.
    Can't argue with that.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Would I have traded Teheran for BA's #23, #76, and a solid utility option with upside? Absolutely.

But I would have also traded Teheran for less. I wanted to sell him hard
    Wait a sec...wasn't it the blackjack dealer that told us how big an idiot Coppy is???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    That's a lot of ifs....

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    I will be irate if any of Albies, Acuna, Allard, or Maitan are included in any deal. They need to be Atlanta mainstays.

If any of these guys are included, it looks like Coppolela and the front office sold out to the casual fan who actually thinks we can make the playoffs this year.

Not that anyone HERE disagrees with this statement, but you are aware that Coppy's job is ultimately dependent on making the fans happy and the vast majority of them likely don't recognize any of those names, right???

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not that anyone HERE disagrees with this statement, but you are aware that Coppy's job is ultimately dependent on making the fans happy and the vast majority of them likely don't recognize any of those names, right???
    You are such an idiot. It's impressive how stupid you are. Truly impressive.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I have a bad feeling we are about to do something stupid...I can't shake it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Please just stand pat.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I dont get why we want Quintana when he had just a winning season with 13-12 record. He had a great ERA but he is not even a ACE.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Patience.

FFS, patience. Don't do anything stupid.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I hope he reads this board and (at least in this case) listens to us crazy people. All of the intelligent fans are OK with losing a little bit more to set up a bigger future. Don't sabotage that.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts
    I still don't believe the Braves will seek a TOR type pitcher until the offseason. I honestly don't see a big deal from the Braves before the deadline. Johnson and Motte will be asked about because relievers are coveted by contenders. We may see offers for Teheran (Astros, Brewers, Yankees, Royals possibilities), but that is 50/50 at best.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    If there's one thing I have learned from obsessing over the trade deadline my entire adult life, it's that it's entirely unpredictable. Which is kind of refreshing, come to think of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I dont get why we want Quintana when he had just a winning season with 13-12 record. He had a great ERA but he is not even a ACE.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

WaitingFor2017 (07-12-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Again why would we pay a contenders price for a pitcher that is really not even an ace. I don't get it.
    I don't think the price on these guys is likely to drop for any reason other than they have less control or blow up.

Cheap, good pitching will always carry a price and if the package is bearable now might as well do it.

I'm not sure whether there are similar pitchers to Archer coming available so it might be a somewhat unique opportunity. Or perhaps not.

Archer has a ton of control and the braves shouod absolutely be willing to give up any of their pitching prospects -- the question would be how much else it would cost.