Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Why would any contender trade for Teheran when they could have just traded for whichever pitcher the Braves end up getting?

It would take 2 trades tilted in the Braves favor for them to come out ahead, meaning 2 other teams have to mess up player valuation.

Under no scenario does this make sense.
    I can see one way.

The Braves reverse the salary dump contract/good pitcher activity where they trade with Detroit for: RHP Jordan Zimmerman (a long time Cox love interest) and RHP Michael Fulmer (reverse of the Melvin/Kimbrel trade) for something like
    Zimmerman & Fulmer (Braves taking on all salary) for Anderson, Fried, Wisler & Blair.

THEN you can trade Teheran for best prospects available.

2018 rotation: Fulmer, Folty, Zimmerman, Newk, Dickey (or let Dickey go and use best of Allard/Soroka here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    So let's get this straight. They want to trade Julio at a low point and get less than stellar prospects..... then turn around and trade our actually solid prospects for another SP to replace him which weakens our farm and possibly our team if the pitcher doesn't perform.

If they can somehow get Tucker for Teheran (hah!) and then trade Albies in a package for a good SP, I'd be for it. You'd have the OF set for years to come, and you can always find a efficient 2B from the market or from within (should be Swanson moving Camargo to SS, but I'm wary of Camargo's BABIP). From here, just find a 3B and SP on the market.
    I guess I've missed the article saying "the Braves are trying to trade Teheran for less than stellar prospects."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I guess I've missed the article saying "the Braves are trying to trade Teheran for less than stellar prospects."
    You're right. Bad wording on my part.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I agree I am probably letting the sunk cost of keeping Julio through the rebuild influence my preference to keep him now.
    Dang...I agree. Aside from my like of JT. Use common sense with trading him. There is none.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Nothing really new or awe-inspiring, but here is the latest snippet from MLBTradeRumors.com

Approximately a dozen teams have expressed interest in Braves left-hander Jaime Garcia, but the club isn’t ready to sell, reports Mark Feinsand of MLB.com (on Twitter). Thanks in part to Garcia, who fired seven one-run innings in a win over the Diamondbacks on Sunday, the Braves (45-45) are at the .500 mark for the first time since April 17. Overall this season, the 31-year-old Garcia has logged a 4.33 ERA (4.25 FIP), 6.88 K/9, 3.4 BB/9 and a 54.7 percent ground-ball rate through 106 innings. As an impending free agent, Garcia and his $12MM salary may well end up on the move in the coming weeks if the Braves don’t make up more ground in the National League playoff race. The team has a realistic chance to contend, though, as it’s a manageable 5.5 games out of a wild-card spot. - Connor Byrne

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...s-marlins.html

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Nothing really new or awe-inspiring, but here is the latest snippet from MLBTradeRumors.com

Approximately a dozen teams have expressed interest in Braves left-hander Jaime Garcia, but the club isn’t ready to sell, reports Mark Feinsand of MLB.com (on Twitter). Thanks in part to Garcia, who fired seven one-run innings in a win over the Diamondbacks on Sunday, the Braves (45-45) are at the .500 mark for the first time since April 17. Overall this season, the 31-year-old Garcia has logged a 4.33 ERA (4.25 FIP), 6.88 K/9, 3.4 BB/9 and a 54.7 percent ground-ball rate through 106 innings. As an impending free agent, Garcia and his $12MM salary may well end up on the move in the coming weeks if the Braves don’t make up more ground in the National League playoff race. The team has a realistic chance to contend, though, as it’s a manageable 5.5 games out of a wild-card spot. - Connor Byrne

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...s-marlins.html
    If the Braves don't trade Garcia someone needs to be fired!

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Quintana was mostly hot garbage before the trade fwiw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    There were indicators he was on the right track though. Quintana would have been a great get for the Braves but those types of assets are expensive and the Braves weren't willing to pay the same price as the Cubs. Fast forward to 2018 deadline and I expect the Braves to be willing to pay that price because it will make more sense to. Braves aren't winning a WS this year. Next year they have an actual chance.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Nationals get Madson and Doolitte from Oakland for Blake Treinen, Jesus Lazardo, and Sheldon Neuse

Neuse is Washington's #6 prospect and Lazardo is their #10 prospect. Treinen is a decent reliever already for Washington but nothing to be worried about losing.

If I'm Oakland, I feel like I lost this trade. For those two relievers, I ask for two of Fedde, Soto, or Kieboom.
    Absolutely killer deal for the Nationals.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    [Substitute Archer for Gray I'm down. (I know he's not available now)
    QUOTE=Heyward;409647]Gray
    Newk
    Lynn/Cobb in FA
    Dickey
    Folty

Would be solid next year with an addition at 3B.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Except for basically half of May, all of June, and July thus far.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I have a proven successful way to sort through threads like this. If the poster uses the word "garbage" to assess talent, it immediately disqualifies them from being taken seriously. If they are too lazy or dimwitted enough not to learn or post "lost velocity" or "mechanical issues" or "shut down brief with a tender shoulder" then they are not tell me anything useful.
    This isn't a courtroom, but don't be afraid to state your case intelligently and back up your position with facts, stats or a really, really funny line.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Not a fan of the trade Tehran plan and get a another starter

Seems like they are protecting their prospect ranking if they do that. If Gray costs two top 50 guys you move Tehran for a top 50 and a top 100

If you get a starter you are in it now. You keep Tehran.

Stop halfway doing ****

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Not a fan of the trade Tehran plan and get a another starter

Seems like they are protecting their prospect ranking if they do that. If Gray costs two top 50 guys you move Tehran for a top 50 and a top 100

If you get a starter you are in it now. You keep Tehran.

Stop halfway doing ****
    More likely has to do with cash flow.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Except for basically half of May, all of June, and July thus far.
    He had one good month. He sucked in July before the trade

My point is that we might not necessarily be selling low on Teheran if the Cubs were willing to give up Eloy

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    We are 6 games out two weeks before the deadline with a juggernaut schedule approaching. Despite all the rumors, and despite us fans checking mlb trade rumors and twitter every 5 minutes, I do not expect any decisions to be made for at least a week. If we are within striking distance, the Johns will overpay for a starter.

I do not think we can overcome the Cubs and Rockies, nor compete in October. But given the last couple years, the front office getting antsy and wanting to chase this thing down is understandable. I don't agree and it's short-sighted, but I get it.

Regardless of where we are, we should at least sell Phillips, Garcia and Johnson. There are in house options to replace them and not see much of a downgrade at each position.

Personally I think Adams, Viz and Julio should all be moved too and let's continue to look to 2019, but if we are close, they won't deal those 3 away.

Garcia is on an expiring contract with little chance of returning next season. With a dozen teams rumored to be interested and coming off a fantastic outing, he should not make another start for us. I also don't think he's hard to replace. Medlen can fill that slot and provide a FIP near what Garcia has produced; or you fill his rotation spot with the SP you acquire at the deadline.

Same with Phillips. Will be a free agent so move him now. Too many decent in house options to hang on to BP. Albies, Camargo or Srod can all do a job at 2B. Should not be much of a downgrade at second and you pick up a prospect.

Trade Johnson, move Viz to the closer role, and call up Minter. Also gets you out from Johnson's salary next season.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    His previous 7 starts before today he had a 10+ K/9 with a 2.7 era and 3.39 FIP. Then of course what he did today. He's back to who he has been the last few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    We are 6 games out two weeks before the deadline with a juggernaut schedule approaching. Despite all the rumors, and despite us fans checking mlb trade rumors and twitter every 5 minutes, I do not expect any decisions to be made for at least a week. If we are within striking distance, the Johns will overpay for a starter.

I do not think we can overcome the Cubs and Rockies, nor compete in October. But given the last couple years, the front office getting antsy and wanting to chase this thing down is understandable. I don't agree and it's short-sighted, but I get it.

Regardless of where we are, we should at least sell Phillips, Garcia and Johnson. There are in house options to replace them and not see much of a downgrade at each position.

Personally I think Adams, Viz and Julio should all be moved too and let's continue to look to 2019, but if we are close, they won't deal those 3 away.

Garcia is on an expiring contract with little chance of returning next season. With a dozen teams rumored to be interested and coming off a fantastic outing, he should not make another start for us. I also don't think he's hard to replace. Medlen can fill that slot and provide a FIP near what Garcia has produced; or you fill his rotation spot with the SP you acquire at the deadline.

Same with Phillips. Will be a free agent so move him now. Too many decent in house options to hang on to BP. Albies, Camargo or Srod can all do a job at 2B. Should not be much of a downgrade at second and you pick up a prospect.

Trade Johnson, move Viz to the closer role, and call up Minter. Also gets you out from Johnson's salary next season.
    If the prospects are middling then what is the point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If the prospects are middling then what is the point?
    the idea is to hit on one of them...so far it hasn't happened...but there are some guys (Scivicque for example) who might yet pan out
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    While I make no judgment on whether it's the right or wrong decision here, I do see some things that make me think the front office will try to buy. It might be buying in a controlled manner where we're trying to get long term assets instead of rentals but I wouldn't be surprised if we keep Phillips, Garcia, and Dickey, add a couple pieces, and try to make a run at it. Here's why.

1- The draw of meaningful games in September. I can't believe the front office could fool themselves into thinking this is a world series team but this is a team that could potentially at least hang around until sometime in September. This keeps fans interested and shows the team is headed in the right direction.

2- They just had the biggest crowd of the year. The Braves sold out Suntrust Park with the D-Backs in town. I think that's a sign that people in Atlanta are starting to take note of the Braves again. I could see the front office wanting to nurture that for business reasons.

3- The lottery ticket effect. The odds that the Braves actually make noise this October are remote. So are the chances of winning the lottery but people still buy lottery tickets. For the first time in several years the Braves have a real shot at making the post season. The odds are long but it's in the realm of possible now. With the farm system stocked like it is, I could easily see the front office reject the chance to add some mid-level prospects to it and instead just go for it with a "hey, it could happen" attitude.

The next couple weeks will be huge. If we drop 6 of the next 7 games and fall 4 games further back in the Wild Card then the math changes and we probably sell. If we win 6 of the next 7 and pull into the thick of it, then I think we buy and buy harder.

But I think the most likely scenario is that we keep the guys we have and look to add a controllable piece or two.