Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    That is what I am thinking. Are we wanting to trade FF, Swanson, Ender, JT, Folty so we can get back a head of the Chisoxs.. no thanks..

We need to dump a pen arm and I-Me... outside of that, we don't have anything that will move the needle.
    Is I-Me, Phillips?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The Sox also packaged several parts with limited value to get a significant piece in return.

Exactly what I suggested the Braves do with their trade pieces this year, but have yet to figure out.

The ChiSox are putting on a clinic on how to orchestrate the first year of a rebuild. A complete rebuild, not a half in rebuild.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Good value for the Sox .

Probably a coin flip now for best system.

Of course Atlanta has the farm system and actual pieces at the ML level.
    But what if the the Sox start spending money in FA? They are deflating their payroll drastically as well. That's something I don't think many saw clearly when the Braves were tearing down.

Let's say they are looking to go into 2019 with: 1B Abreu ($12M), LF Garcia (~$10M), SS Tim Anderson ($1.4M), 2B Moncada, RF Jimenez, CF Basabe, 3B Matt Davidson (~$8M), C Free Agent (~$10M) (with Robert close to ready to replace Garcia and Collins ready to replace Abreu)

The staff could be: Rodon (~$8M), Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Hansen, etc.

They would have strong and cheap talent blossoming internally and they would have payroll space to go add from the big FA class. Need a 3B? How about Machado OR Donaldson. Need a veteran SP? How about Keuchel or Wainwright or any number of other who might opt out. Need bullpen guys? The choices look to be bountiful.

Sure, they are going to suck for the next year or two. But, there is a good chance they will be in the WS before the Braves because they have gone all in on their rebuild.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Yeah, I cut it off before novel length. I left off Hansen (a threat for 1/1 in 2016 until he got wild as a senior), Dunning, and Adams for the Sox.

Kopech and Giolito (and maybe Hansen) have true #1 stuff if they can harness it. Unlikely they all do but if Kopech approaches Syndergaard as he is compared, then the Sox likely have a higher end guy than any of the Braves prospects.

It's not traitorous to say other teams have good players. But, as someone else noted the Braves held on to Freeman, Teheran and Inciarte. The Sox look like they are moving everybody with a pulse.
    Sure, and I agree with you. Not that it's super important but I'd list Gohara over Fried. I think they have a better system now. I don't feel anything saying that. I just like our arms better. Soroka/Allard/Wright/Gohara/Anderson is a better top five than theirs in my opinion. Again, not a super big deal. I like Kopech a lot, just don't like Giolito near that much and Lopez has struggled.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    You're assuming all their prospects pan out.

Some will yes but Giolito is looking like a bust with Lopez joining him. Moncada also cant hit a breaking pitch to save his life.

They have done an insane job in under a year basically rebuilding their system tho, no argument with that.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

Some will yes but Giolito is looking like a bust with Lopez joining him. Moncada also cant hit a breaking pitch to save his life.

They have done an insane job in under a year basically rebuilding their system tho, no argument with that.
    Of course. But, aren't we assuming the Braves prospects will pan out? Swanson can't hit a slider to save his life.

All rebuilds have risk. To me, that's why you go for redundancy and depth everywhere. Keeping guys at the ML level "to maintain a respectable product" is just counter productive to a most efficient rebuild.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Of course. But, aren't we assuming the Braves prospects will pan out? Swanson can't hit a slider to save his life.

All rebuilds have risk. To me, that's why you go for redundancy and depth everywhere. Keeping guys at the ML level "to maintain a respectable product" is just counter productive to a most efficient rebuild.
    No i'm not assuming all ours will. Some of our pitchers will be RP's, some will be high end guys, some will flame out.

I would guess barring injury that Gohara, Soroka, Wright are our best ones, and Allard, Anderson, others dont pan out.

Between Acuna, Albies, Maitan is impossible to say, i love all 3 so i wouldnt care to guess what happens.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    This is rich coming from a Braves homer that just listed 20 braves prospects as if they are future contributors lol

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is rich coming from a Braves homer that just listed 20 braves prospects as if they are future contributors lol
    I literally just said the opposite, and at least some of the Braves prospects have shown signs they could be great. He's listing guys like Lopez and Giolito when they've been asscheeks, and Moncada hasnt lit it up either.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I literally just said the opposite, and at least some of the Braves prospects have shown signs they could be great. He's listing guys like Lopez and Giolito when they've been asscheeks, and Moncada hasnt lit it up either.
    All three of those guys are in AAA ball. Moncada has an .830 OPS with a 20/30 season looking likely. (And while he may be having a bit of trouble hitting the curve, the Sox at least are leaving him in AAA to work on it instead of exposing him at the ML level a la Swanson).

Lopez is at 3.78 era with more than a K per inning and a WHIP of 1.27
    Giolito is at 5.00 era with 103 K in 95.1 innings and a whip of 1.44

Both pitchers are giving up a few more BB and HR than you would like but neither is at the ML level getting hammered by the Cubs tonight.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    All three of those guys are in AAA ball. Moncada has an .830 OPS with a 20/30 season looking likely. (And while he may be having a bit of trouble hitting the curve, the Sox at least are leaving him in AAA to work on it instead of exposing him at the ML level a la Swanson).

Lopez is at 3.78 era with more than a K per inning and a WHIP of 1.27
    Giolito is at 5.00 era with 103 K in 95.1 innings and a whip of 1.44

Both pitchers are giving up a few more BB and HR than you would like but neither is at the ML level getting hammered by the Cubs tonight.
    The Cubs are scorching hot right now. And Newcomb hasnt even made 10 ML starts. And frankly i was kinda rooting for losses so Coppy doesnt do anything stupid at the deadline.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Any chance we can trade Markakis now that Maybin just get injured??

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The Cubs are scorching hot right now. And Newcomb hasnt even made 10 ML starts. And frankly i was kinda rooting for losses so Coppy doesnt do anything stupid at the deadline.
    I get it. I've been that way since spring training.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The most surprising part of the deal is the Yanks sending Clippard to Chicago to offset some salary.

Maybe Chase Headley is in play as a salary dump?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    The most surprising part of the deal is the Yanks sending Clippard to Chicago to offset some salary.

Why to continue adding the garbage of other teams?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

It was reported there's 4 players going to the Sox. Clarkin, Ruth, and Clippard. Not sure if it's a big money guy from NY or a lower level prospect.

In general other than Rutherford, Yankees arent giving up that much. Still keeping Mateo, Gleybar, Frazier, Fowler, Sheffield, Adams, Florial, and Andrujar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I believe the only player we should go hard at 2019 is Craig Kimbrel.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Why to continue adding the garbage of other teams?
    Headley is about a 2 win per year improvement over what the Braves have trotted out to 3B the last 3 years.

If they can get him for free it would be a decent move.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I get it. I've been that way since spring training.
    +1

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I believe the only player we should go hard at 2019 is Craig Kimbrel.
    Sarcasm?

There's a ton of good bats set to be available that winter and we should have some money to spend by then.