Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Wait, are people seriously suggesting we should have traded Freeman?
    No...simply saying that the White Sox traded all their assets to get the farm they have and we held onto our biggest ones.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    He's currently 27, so....probably?

In any event, his value has skyrocketed over the last year. So trading him prior to that would have proven stupid in hindsight.
    Trading him now would be good
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I disagree. At some point you need to pick your cornerstones and keep them, can't just keep kicking the can down the road. We might not be a playoff team this year, but next year with Albies/Acuna/various pitching prospects getting close to Atlanta our window will start to open.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Yeah...but I think Sherman would march through Atlanta reincarnated if that happened!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (07-19-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    You have to realize that isn't at all feasible.

And this team absolutely has a chance to make the playoffs next year. I know you find that laughable, but they have a chance to build something pretty good for next year. Trade Freeman, and you are absolutely punting on 2018 and 2019.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Let me guess... to the Nats

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Rutherford is #36 on BA's mid-season list. 3 spots behind Soroka and 5 ahead of Wright.
    He fell off Keith Laws and BP's.

Again, I still like Rutherford a good bit and I think it's a very good get for 2 BP pieces and a half year rental that's batting <.210. But his stock haso fallen a bit this year.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    You have to realize that isn't at all feasible.

And this team absolutely has a chance to make the playoffs next year. I know you find that laughable, but they have a chance to build something pretty good for next year. Trade Freeman, and you are absolutely punting on 2018 and 2019.
    They would likely never get anything more for Freeman than they would today. I do not see us competitive until 19/at the earliest and all of a sudden Feeeman is pushing 30 when many large 1B breakdown.

The team has accumulated young talent, but it takes time, they wont win right away. So when this young talent is ready to be playoff competitive players, how old will Freeman be?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Let me guess... to the Nats
    If they want to give up Robles, Fedde, and Soto

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I understand, but you simply cut him. Like Uggla, like HO (basically).
    and eat the money? it ain't my money.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Isn't it kind of sad that our FO is so dumb that we have to hope for losses so they don't do something stupid that even fans would recognize as such?
    Bingo! I hate being this way since the end of 2014 season, but I'm thinking long-term success of this rebuild. Go Cubs, Dodgers, and Diamondbacks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    It made sense at the time though and dont dismiss Dunning completely.
    Lots of people were saying at the time that Giolito's stock was down a good bit.

I agree it was fine at the time, but I'm saying we'd be hearing a lot of complaining at this point if it were us. If we traded a 6+ fWAR player with 5 years of control for 3 pitchers, two of which have seen their stock drop (one with a significant drop) almost immediately after the trade? Lordy. We'd never hear the end. People still complain about Heyward for Miller and that worked out beautifully.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Isn't it kind of sad that our FO is so dumb that we have to hope for losses so they don't do something stupid that even fans would recognize as such?
    but there's no evidence we need to be super concerned about this. not a stretch to say many here overreact.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    the white sox might have been a good team if they kept sale, quintana, and eaton. That's 8 wins between the pitchers, and say Eaton stays healthy and has 2fWAR right now.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    He's currently 27, so....probably?

In any event, his value has skyrocketed over the last year. So trading him prior to that would have proven stupid in hindsight.

I've never been one who thought they COULD trade him - it would likely be suicide from a PR standpoint - but I'll admit it would be interesting to see what the system might look like if both Freddie and Julio were dealt and Coppy & Co. actually went "all-in" with the rebuild. You'd likely have a bidding war on your hands when it came to Freeman where literally no one was off-limits.

Boston - they're saying Devers is off-limits, but if they could get Freddie and then go out and sign Moustakas or Frazier this winter, does anyone really believe that??? If they wanted him, the ask is Devers, Groome, and Josh Ockimey.

Yankees - same here - they say they're "waiting", but doesn't Freeman change that line of thinking? I'd even let them keep Torres. If they wanted him, the ask is Frazier, Chance Adams, and Andujar.

Dodgers - Make Bellinger a full-time OF, and plug Freddie in at 1B and they become as scary as any team in the game. If they wanted him, the ask is Verdugo, Calhoun, and Yusniel Diaz, Braves turn Calhoun into a 1B.

Astros - This is still where you go for your blockbuster. Offer them Freeman and Julio for Tucker, Fisher, Forrest Whitley, Garrett Stubbs, and J. D. Davis. Houston moves Gurriel to 3B, and uses Bregman to get Gray or Cole. Braves move Davis to 1B.

Seattle - Pretty intriguing, actually. The ask would be Lewis, O'Neil, and Nick Neidert. Then the Braves turn around and make O'Neil a 1B.

Cardinals - They move Carpenter back to 2B or 3B (and Gyorko to the other), and Freeman certainly answers their lineup concerns. The ask is Reyes, Kelly, and Harrison Bader.

Rangers - Seems like a bit of an odd fit, but if Daniels thinks they could make a run, maybe you do a big deal with them and include Garcia or Dickey. The ask is Gallo, Profar, Taveras, and Ronald Guzman. Move Gallo to 3B full-time and leave him alone, Guzman becomes our 1B, and Profar can duke it out with Dansby and Albies for MI playing time or maybe gets added to the OF mix.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    I've liked what the White Sox have done, but they get a 2 out of 10 for this one. Yankees made the deal for two RP because they don't like what they see in the SP market. I think they are a little concerned about Betances & Chapman.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    the white sox might have been a good team if they kept sale, quintana, and eaton. That's 8 wins between the pitchers, and say Eaton stays healthy and has 2fWAR right now.
    That's a good point. That's a TON of proven MLB talent right there!! I will say guys like Heyward and Jup were guy we knew we were going to loose. I can see Kimbrel even...the rest...not so much.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    I've liked what the White Sox have done, but they get a 2 out of 10 for this one. Yankees made the deal for two RP because they don't like what they see in the SP market. I think they are a little concerned about Betances & Chapman.
    The only real piece they got here was Rutherford, and he's a long ways away and carries significant risk.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    That's a good point. That's a TON of proven MLB talent right there!! I will say guys like Heyward and Jup were guy we knew we were going to loose. I can see Kimbrel even...the rest...not so much.
    8 wins between the pitchers **so far. Sale is on pace for about 8 himself, and Quintana was turning it around big time. Probably have 12 between them by the end of the year.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Lots of people were saying at the time that Giolito's stock was down a good bit.

I agree it was fine at the time, but I'm saying we'd be hearing a lot of complaining at this point if it were us. If we traded a 6+ fWAR player with 5 years of control for 3 pitchers, two of which have seen their stock drop (one with a significant drop) almost immediately after the trade? Lordy. We'd never hear the end. People still complain about Heyward for Miller and that worked out beautifully.
    They Heyward/Shelby deal was average. How they flipped it was the win. Had we kept him and he struggled and then had Tommy John it would be known as a horrible trade.