Page 78 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    They Heyward/Shelby deal was average. How they flipped it was the win. Had we kept him and he struggled and then had Tommy John it would be known as a horrible trade.
    Its an uncomfortable fact that the rebuild would not be going too well if not for 1) Dave Stewart and 2) the ancien regime leaving Albies and Acuna behind as parting gifts.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Its an uncomfortable fact that the rebuild would not be going too well if not for 1) Dave Stewart and 2) the ancien regime leaving Albies and Acuna behind as parting gifts.
    "fact"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You said literally 2 days ago that the Braves should ride this out and not sell off.
    I think my position has been pretty clear...

If they can package several parts together for a legit return, sell.

If they can only trade away those parts one at a time for fringe guys, don't sell.

At no point do they buy.

What is so hard about that logic for you to follow? You have clv on your side "thanking" your post...that should tell you all you need to know.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-19-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If they get Andujar why do they want Headley? Garcia plus Adams for Andujar would be just fine.

If Frazier plays 1B the Braves just lost the only real contender that needed Adams.
    It looks like the Yankees are trying to move salary in trades as well to stay under $200M in payroll. Taking Headly back rids them of a $13M obligation for 2018 and would allow the Braves to be patient with Andujar.

The Yanks meanwhile would be free to re-sign Frazier or, more likely, make a play for Moustakas.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    We likely would have gotten something good Miller, regardless if was as great of a package as what we got or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    It looks like the Yankees are trying to move salary in trades as well to stay under $200M in payroll. Taking Headly back rids them of a $13M obligation for 2018 and would allow the Braves to be patient with Andujar.

The Yanks meanwhile would be free to re-sign Frazier or, more likely, make a play for Moustakas.
    I think they have a bunch of payroll rolling off next year...CC, the last of ARod's contract, Holliday, Tanaka if he opts out.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We likely would have gotten something good Miller, regardless if was as great of a package as what we got or not.
    This. Also, Ender didn't have near the value when we traded for him that he does now. Picking him up in that deal wasn't the stupidity of the D-Backs. He was the odd man out in a crowded outfield and not many at the time were surprised at his inclusion in a deal for Shelby.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I think they have a bunch of payroll rolling off next year...CC, the last of ARod's contract, Holliday, Tanaka if he opts out.
    True, but how to you explain Clippard to the Sox?

I don't have to have Headly but would be willing to take him IF that meant a better prospect return.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts

I don't have to have Headly but would be willing to take him IF that meant a better prospect return.
    They want to stay under the tax this year too...

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Isn't it kind of sad that our FO is so dumb that we have to hope for losses so they don't do something stupid that even fans would recognize as such?
    That is because we as fans think they will do something stupid....not that they would actually do something stupid.

I a click grabbing blog writer says Atlanta is shopping Acuna, then we fans hope the team doesn't do something stupid. The fact that the team NEVER considered trading Acuna is unknown to us. Behind the scenes maybe NYY came and asked for Acuna and Coppy slammed down the phone as he fell from his chair...but the blogger said Atlanta was shopping him.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Funny "fact"... Dansby is a failure but suckered us into thinking he was the franchise...so the joke is on us AND Blair is not even a good AAA pitcher. So did Dave Stewart make a bad trade. A sub-.300 ERA SP coming off a second quality year for a small streaky platoon CF and a couple spare parts???

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    Funny "fact"... Dansby is a failure but suckered us into thinking he was the franchise...so the joke is on us AND Blair is not even a good AAA pitcher. So did Dave Stewart make a bad trade. A sub-.300 ERA SP coming off a second quality year for a small streaky platoon CF and a couple spare parts???
    Yeah, Dansby is finished as an MLB player.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Yep - the analysis I did on the "big trades" earlier in the season showed Coppy has done a very poor job getting great value for his assets - except for Shelby Miller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts

they probably wanted a roster spot for Robertson and the sox took him for a prospect upgrade

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    more "facts"

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Taking Headley back to help them with their payroll crunch is about as counterproductive as it gets.

Make sure I get this right - you want Andujar so bad that you're willing to swap Garcia for Headley (more or less salary neutral for this season), AND tie up $13 million (instead of whatever Adams stands to make in arbitration next winter) of our 2018 payroll for someone who will contribute less offensively if he plays every day than Adams would off the bench?

The Yankees HAVE the money - they just don't want to spend it. That's their problem. If I'm giving them two pieces they can really use because their fans are pressuring them to win this year, let Cashman do his job and figure out if it's worth going to ownership to find out if it's OK if he exceeds the cap to do so. If they absolutely have to have some salary relief, tell them we'll take Aaron Hicks' and Adam Warren's money back - they're not guaranteed anything next year - that would help with their roster crunch plus cover Adams' money AND clear up their OF logjam.

I like him and all, but Andujar isn't a good enough prospect to be trading useful MLB pieces AND taking on useless dead money for - and Headley would do nothing but get in the way here. If Andujar needs more time, we've already got Rodriguez.

Are you sure you're not a closet Yankees fan?
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-19-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    No, had the Shelby over pay not have happened...we would have in all likelyhood KEPT Shelby. Just as Coppy has kept Julio...and he has mentioned they were looking for the right deal with Shelby and would have been happy to keep him without an overpay deal. He has mentioned that more than once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Taking Headley back to help them with their payroll crunch is about as counterproductive as it gets.

Make sure I get this right - you want Andujar so bad that you're willing to swap Garcia for Headley (more or less salary neutral for this season), AND tie up $13 million (instead of whatever Adams stands to make in arbitration next winter) of our 2018 payroll for someone who will contribute less offensively if he plays every day than Adams would off the bench?

The Yankees HAVE the money - they just don't want to spend it. That's their problem. If I'm giving them two pieces they can really use because their fans are pressuring them to win this year, let Cashman do his job and figure out if it's worth going to ownership to find out if it's OK if he exceeds the cap to do so. If they absolutely have to have some salary relief, tell them we'll take Aaron Hicks' and Adam Warren's money back - they're not guaranteed anything next year - that would help with their roster crunch plus cover Adams' money AND clear up their OF logjam.

I like him and all, but Andujar isn't a good enough prospect to be trading useful MLB pieces AND taking on useless dead money for - and Headley would do nothing but get in the way here. If Andujar needs more time, we've already got Rodriguez.

Are you sure you're not a Yankees fan?
    Headley is a ~2 WAR player, so $13M is well worth him. Additionally, only 1 year is a great stop gap to buy us time to find a long term piece.

He'd be a good candiate to bridge the gap for us next year... much better than Prado et all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Are you sure you're not a Yankees fan?
    Headley is a ~2 WAR player, so $13M is well worth him. Additionally, only 1 year is a great stop gap to buy us time to find a long term piece.

He'd be a good candiate to bridge the gap for us next year... much better than Prado et all

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    I wouldn't say the #1 pick in the MLB draft is "spare parts".