Page 85 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Tampa needs BP arms. I think its about time to start seeing what we have at AAA and below on that front. I think our BP can be ELITE as hell without having to bring anyone else in.

I'd peddle them JJ and AV while picking up some $ on JJ's deal to see what that nets us.

A Justin Williams type?
    Last edited by Tapate50; 07-20-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    On that note, what are the chances we trade our bullpen arms?

Can Vizcaino handle the closer role if Johnson is dealt? We basically gave him away for free 2 years ago. Not sure what we'd get for him now.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    On that note, what are the chances we trade our bullpen arms?

Can Vizcaino handle the closer role if Johnson is dealt? We basically gave him away for free 2 years ago. Not sure what we'd get for him now.
    We should not be concerned with closer when we aren't in contention. If anything, sticking someone in the role is more likely to boost their value than hurt it.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-20-2017), jpx7 (07-20-2017), Tapate50 (07-20-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Tampa needs BP arms. I think its about time to start seeing what we have at AAA and below on that front. I think our BP can be ELITE as hell without having to bring anyone else in.

I'd peddle them JJ and AV while picking up some $ on JJ's deal to see what that nets us.

A Justin Williams type?
    I like the idea of packaging Johnson and Vizcaíno to a BP-desperate team, in order to improve the return—even if it only nets one bonafide prospect.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-20-2017)

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    One of the equal or better options than Garica lasted a little more than an inning today

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The only reason to buy at the deadline for a non-contending team is because that player is who you want and if you don't act, he goes to another team.

For example, if Coppy had a boner for Quintana, he would have had to get him NOW or else he loses his chance to get him for 3 years
    I think another reason is that it's a buyer's market.

IF you have a guy you like and you can get him for a good price then you do it. I doubt it happens, but if a GM decides they have to move someone and you can get them cheap then you do it.

You just have to be disciplined and stick to your guns. If you would be willing to give up Soroka/Allard + Gohara for Gray in the winter, it's cool if they take that now. I don't think the As do it. I'm not sure the Braves do it.

I think the Braves want to shop around with guys outside of the top 8. I think Albies is only available for a Q type player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think another reason is that it's a buyer's market.

IF you have a guy you like and you can get him for a good price then you do it. I doubt it happens, but if a GM decides they have to move someone and you can get them cheap then you do it.

You just have to be disciplined and stick to your guns. If you would be willing to give up Soroka/Allard + Gohara for Gray in the winter, it's cool if they take that now. I don't think the As do it. I'm not sure the Braves do it.

I think the Braves want to shop around with guys outside of the top 8. I think Albies is only available for a Q type player.
    We better not do that. Giving up two of those top 50 arms for Gray would be a mistake IMO.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    We better not do that. Giving up two of those top 50 arms for Gray would be a mistake IMO.
    I personally agree.

My point is if you'd pay X in the winter and they want Y that is ok. If they call back at the deadine and ask for X plus a C prospect to save face you take it.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agreed 100%. And I'd raise you one step further...

I would wait until the 2018 trade deadline, make sure the Braves are contenders, and THEN trade for a guy like Archer. Or a rental of Machado/Donaldson at 3B.

Make sure the Braves are actually in contention before making serious acquisitions.
    This is true to an extent but it would cost more at the deadline than it will this winter.

At least it usually does anyway. But if the Braves suck next year and flirt with .500 all year again then obviously makes no sense to make a move for someone depending who all is available.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I personally agree.

My point is if you'd pay X in the winter and they want Y that is ok. If they call back at the deadine and ask for X plus a C prospect to save face you take it.
    I wouldn't do that at this point. I would go after guys that might have lost value and see if a team will panic...ie Giolito. Or like the Dodgers did with Wood.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Will any of those arms be as good as Gray?

Thats the question.

If we got Gray without any of our top 6 prospects being involved thats a win for Coppy.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    As much as I'm one of the ones hot on trading for a SP, I can't see that happening for anything short of Archer, and they probably wouldn't even include all three if they could get him. If something crazy happened this winter and a package of say Anderson, Gohara, Pache, and Muller or Sanchez could land Archer, I could see them pulling the trigger. Then maybe packaging Julio and someone else to go get an impact bat. Archer/Folty/Dickey/Newcomb/Wisler or Sims ought to be enough to provide a competitive enough rotation until Wright and/or Soroka force their way into it. If that point comes late next season, we could be looking at an absolute lockdown pen if we're in contention and haven't traded pen pieces by then - can you imagine having to see Sims in the 6th, Newcomb in the 7th, Ramirez in the 8th, and Johnson in the 9th on one night followed by Krol in the 6th, Rivero in the 7th, Minter in the 8th, and Vizcaino in the 9th the next?

The further removed from a potential Quintana or Archer deal we get, the more I'm convinced our Top 6 guys are off-limits.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    That is way too much to give up for Archer, IMO. And there's no way we'd do it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I'd rather not trade both Viz and JJ, unless we are getting back a strong package. We will need quality BP pitchers next year. And preferably one with closing experience.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    That is way too much to give up for Archer, IMO. And there's no way we'd do it.
    Really? That seems reasonable to me. I mean, I wouldn't do it, personally, but it seems fair (if not a relative bargain for the Braves given the market).

Just to spit ball, what would your package for Archer look like?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Will any of those arms be as good as Gray?

Thats the question.

If we got Gray without any of our top 6 prospects being involved thats a win for Coppy.
    But Allard and Soroka are clearly in our top 6, and Gohara is by a lot of people as well.

Sure that would be a win if he could do that, short of something crazy where it's like all of the 7-10 group.

But I don't know if those arms will be as good as Gray. Nobody does. There's certainly value in getting a (somewhat) known quantity in Gray. Can they be as good as Gray? Absolutely, especially Allard and Gohara.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Thats actually less than i thought for Archer.

Keep Acuna, Albies, Allard, Maitan, Soroka and Wright, while getting Archer, where do i sign?

If we could keep those top 6 ^ i think Coppy would highly consider it.

A potential rotation of Archer, Wright, Soroka, Allard, and 1 of Newk or Folty, drools.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Really? That seems reasonable to me. I mean, I wouldn't do it, personally, but it seems fair (if not a relative bargain for the Braves given the market).

Just to spit ball, what would your package for Archer look like?
    Looking back over it, it is probably fair value. I just don't like giving up that many quality pieces. I definitely don't think we'd do it, though.

Part of the reason I don't like it is because I think Anderson, Pache, and Muller have plenty of room to grow in value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Thats actually less than i thought for Archer.

Keep Acuna, Albies, Allard, Maitan, Soroka and Wright, while getting Archer, where do i sign?

If we could keep those top 6 ^ i think Coppy would highly consider it.

A potential rotation of Archer, Wright, Soroka, Allard, and 1 of Newk or Folty, drools.
    But you're not really going to get that rotation, at least not for long.

Soroka, Allard, and Wright won't be ready until sometime in 2018 at the absolute earliest. After that, you're talking about some growing pains. Archer is under contract through 2021, when he'll be 32. So yeah, you may get that rotation in good shape by 2020. But is that worth it?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    But you're not really going to get that rotation, at least not for long.

Soroka, Allard, and Wright won't be ready until sometime in 2018 at the absolute earliest. After that, you're talking about some growing pains. Archer is under contract through 2021, when he'll be 32. So yeah, you may get that rotation in good shape by 2020. But is that worth it?
    Well eventually we'll have to make a move and trade some of these prospects just like the Yankees did with Rutherford.

Only a matter of when not if it happens.

You could have that by 2019, 2020 and 2021 but i dont think we trade for Archer whenever Coppy does go for it. I think he goes for a bat.