Page 133 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I still neither see nor understand the appeal of Moustakas.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'm fine not signing Moose. Never was a huge fan. If they're so hell bent on an ace right now I'd rather sign Darvish and trade for a 3b

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    What was awesome to hear tonight was Hart's statement that they're prepared to spend this winter. He admitted that they "love" Riley, but also made no effort to hide that 3B is a huge problem - AND that Camargo doesn't have enough pop to be "the answer". Everyone understands the hesitance to spend on someone that blocks any of the kids, but a Moustakas signing (even if it's for 4 years at market value) doesn't get in anyone's way other than Riley, would be a huge upgrade, and would re-balance the lineup at whatever point Acuna replaces Markakis.

Given the fact that it looks more and more like they're willing to begin committing to the young arms, Moustakas can be added and Dickey retained without altering the 2017 Opening Day payroll.
    Moustakas is a lefty. They need a righty. I think they wanted Kemp to be the right handed offensive balance opposite Freeman. But I think they now see that won't work. I could see them trade for the last year of Donaldson.

I think the Yankees sign Moustakas and I think they trade with Miami for Stanton in the offseason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So Verlander is on waivers. I would normally say "no thanks", but I keep thinking there's some way to get rid of Kemp. The Tigers have SO many big contracts. If we also took on Jup and sent them Kemp...hmmm. They need relief and seems like there's a deal in there...maybe.
    I just don't see why they'd be so anxious to get rid of Justin Upton. He's actually been pretty good and there's more than a decent chance he opts out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I don't see why the Yanks would need or want to trade for Stanton. Aaron Judge is their Stanton and they already have a glut of OF options. If they want an expensive star OFer then they can just sign Harper next offseason, who's younger and more durable than Stanton.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-03-2017), JohnAdcox (08-03-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I know some might hate it, but I can see Frazier at 3B next year. He's a team leader and RH Power bat. He essentially replaces the need for Kemp or Markakis. He'll more than likely sign for 3 years which should be enough time for Matian to be ready.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-03-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I still neither see nor understand the appeal of Moustakas.
    I see the appeal but I think he's going to end up a bad contract on the 2nd half for whoever he signs with. His defense is already in decline

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Yeah, I'll pass on Moose Tacos. I bet the Braves are in love with him though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I'd take a chance on Moustakas since you are essentially signing him for a good portion of his prime years. I wouldn't want to go more than 3 years so its unlikely that you sign him.
    Natural Immunity Croc

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    If you can get him for a good price for about 4 years, I don't see what's undesirable about Moose Tacos. Really nice power, will still be in his 20s when he starts the contract. The only real negative is that he's a lefty. Not sure what kind of defender he is. Don't really see why Donaldson at age 32 would be a better option than Moose at age 29. Moose would be a massive upgrade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    If you can get him for a good price for about 4 years, I don't see what's undesirable about Moose Tacos. Really nice power, will still be in his 20s when he starts the contract. The only real negative is that he's a lefty. Not sure what kind of defender he is. Don't really see why Donaldson at age 32 would be a better option than Moose at age 29. Moose would be a massive upgrade.
    The problem with Moustakas is that his OBP is quite bad, and his defense, which was good, has become average at best this year. So he has to have massive power (which he has shown over his last 120ish games) to have real value. If his power dips from where it has been recently, or his defense slides further, you're looking at a guy that's not worth a whole lot.

He should be at least a solid, average starter for the next couple years. After that? It could get dicey. He's probably going to command more than he's worth.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2017), jpx7 (08-03-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Absolutely no to moose

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The problem with Moustakas is that his OBP is quite bad, and his defense, which was good, has become average at best this year. So he has to have massive power (which he has shown over his last 120ish games) to have real value. If his power dips from where it has been recently, or his defense slides further, you're looking at a guy that's not worth a whole lot.

He should be at least a solid, average starter for the next couple years. After that? It could get dicey. He's probably going to command more than he's worth.
    Tough to name any free-agent signing that doesn't fit that description, so that's not exactly going out on a limb. Surely no one expects Frazier to be better given their ages.

The scary thing I heard in that talk with Hart last night that Phillips might want to play for a few more years, and he (hopefully just being nice) seemed like they might be open to bringing him back. If your choices at 3B for 2018-2020 are Moustakas, Frazier, Rodriguez, Phillips, Camargo, or Ruiz, that's not a very tough choice to make, even if he's overpaid for the last year of the deal. People here have been open to trading for Chase Headley for crying out loud - you don't think Yankee fans have been screaming the same thing about him???

Someone mentioned signing/spending on a TOR piece and trading for a 3B earlier. Who are you going to trade for that won't cost way more than the Braves are going to want to pay in terms of prospects?
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-03-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    But I think Moustakas could potentially be a FA who is making less than he's worth immediately, with the likelihood he declines even further from that point. It's pretty easy to project an immediate drop from Moustakas as soon as next year.

So take the normal amount you overpay in FA and add to that for Moustakas, and I think that's what you're looking at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    clv is worried about 2018. We should be worried about 2019+... Moose doesn't fit our time frame quite right. He would be another albatross by the time we need him to be good

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    But I think Moustakas could potentially be a FA who is making less than he's worth immediately, with the likelihood he declines even further from that point. It's pretty easy to project an immediate drop from Moustakas as soon as next year.

So take the normal amount you overpay in FA and add to that for Moustakas, and I think that's what you're looking at.
    I don't think anyone will argue that he'll be overpaid at some point, and (at least to a point) I'm not willing to write off 2018 just yet - because I just don't believe the brass is going to. My main point is that there's only one place left that you're conceivably going to overpay someone in the immediate future, and that's 3B. With $24 million for veteran SPs (Garcia and Big Sexy) coming off the books in 2018 and another $19 million for Markakis and Dickey coming off in 2019, it's not like we're not going to have the money. I can't imagine Moustakas is going to be able to get a better deal than Justin Turner got from the Dodgers, so if you use that as your baseline, you're looking at 4 years and $64 million. With the replacements for the three veteran SPs (Newcomb, Sims, Soroka, Gohara, Allard, Wright) and Markakis (Acuna) already in place and making the minimum when they're called up, the expiring contracts more or less pay for half of a Moustakas deal - plus you get to hang onto every prospect.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I'd rather save our powder for the 2018 free agent class. Not saying we'll get the big dogs... but I think the market for the 2nd tier guys will be supressed due to the massive amount of dollars that will flood to the big guys... giving us a nice opportunity to fill a hole or two at less than market value.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-03-2017), Jaw (08-04-2017), jpx7 (08-03-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'd rather save our powder for the 2018 free agent class. Not saying we'll get the big dogs... but I think the market for the 2nd tier guys will be supressed due to the massive amount of dollars that will flood to the big guys... giving us a nice opportunity to fill a hole or two at less than market value.
    Wouldn't argue that as a viable strategy, but kicking the can down the road another year just gets you closer to having someone in Maitan's way IMO. If you were somehow able take the last year of Headley's deal off the Yankees' hands without giving up anything of value and possibly getting Donaldson on a 3 year deal, that would probably be ideal. Just not sure that Donaldson won't cost at least 4 years as well - and that'd be another year further down the road.

A little odd that no one's mentioned it before now (and it could easily backfire as well), but an interesting deal during August or this winter might be Adams for Headley.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    For moose it will be interesting to see how many suiters there are. The big money teams likely are holding out for Donaldson and Machado.

I think we should play but we should not be signing a 5+ year deal. I think most people I have seen have him getting something like 4/60-70.

I think 3/50-60 with a team option or two would work for us. Go cheap in the corners with Acuna and Peterson for a while. Cheap in the starting rotation for a while too.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

the 300ish OBP is concerning. I'd go back to a 15 million/yr offer then. 3/45 with two team options at 20 million. I think LH hitter works b/c I'm assuming we go Peterson and Acuna in the next two years if not next year.

Inciarte
    Acuna
    FF
    Kemp/D Peterson
    Moose
    Flowers
    Swanson
    P
    Ozzie