Page 1 of 141 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Wanted to start collecting rumors/discussion here as the deadline approaches:

Heyman article- https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/ins...rise-quintana/

Notes that Garcia should bring back something "Significant" and Phillips has drawn interest.

Oriole's beat guy tweets that Oriole's have checked in on Dickey
    https://twitter.com/camdendepot/stat...31396981710848

I'll try and update this daily.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Well, this is terrific news! One last trade deadline giveaway before relevance hits!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Wish he would expand on the interest in Dat Dude - there can't be that many contenders in need of a 2B. Wonder if it's someone we're not considering as a "serious" contender?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Wish he would expand on the interest in Dat Dude - there can't be that many contenders in need of a 2B. Wonder if it's someone we're not considering as a "serious" contender?
    For a lot of teams, a playoff chase is pretty good for the bottom line and the overall goodwill of the org.

For other teams, the opportunity for front office to make a great first impression or on the other end to turn down the heat is a driving need.

Not all front offices are well run and the landscape is littered with unwise deals made by GMs.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Phillips should get us a FV 40 player and possibly a 45 guy if a team has a really pressing need and pays the contenders premium.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Phillips should get us a FV 40 player and possibly a 45 guy if a team has a really pressing need and pays the contenders premium.
    Same with Garcia. Same with Viz. Almost the same with Adams.

The real score will be if Coppy can package 2-3 of those guys together and get a FV 50 guy from a contender whose needs line up perfectly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    thanks for clearing that up.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Same with Garcia. Same with Viz. Almost the same with Adams.

The real score will be if Coppy can package 2-3 of those guys together and get a FV 50 guy from a contender whose needs line up perfectly.
    Reliever markets are tricky. Viz might be able to bring more than we expect if he keeps pitching well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I don't see Viz fetching much right now. I think proven closers or absolutely dominant guys get dealt for a ton. He's neither.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    List of potential players that might be traded:

Better than Average Chance at getting flipped;
    Jaime Garcia - Our best trade chip, he's strung together several good starts now. The Braves could also open up a spot in the rotation by dealing Garcia.
    Jason Motte - He's pitched reasonably well, he's a veteran with postseason experience; as long as he doesn't fall off a cliff, he's going to be dealt IMO.
    Bradon Phillips - Hitting really well, good clubhouse guy, one-year deal - perfect trade candidate; even if its just to a team that wants another professional hitter off the bench, we should be able to move Phillips.

Coin Flip;
    Jim Johnson - Could definitely see him being flipped, the SOs are at 9.7 K/9, but the Braves won't give him away either and they have him under contract next season.
    Viz - I think the Braves would like to 'sell high' here with his injury history and PED instance, but for those same reasons another team likely won't overpay.
    Adams - I'm of the belief the Braves should move him, but I have a feeling Coppy wants to keep him as insurance for Freddie and as bench bat next year. He's hit well since he's been here.

Doubtful
    Kemp/Markakis - Don't see much value to outside teams here with the money owed, defensive issues and in Markakis' case the lack of power.
    Teheran - His value has taken a big hit, so whats the point? Better off keeping him now.
    Dickey/Colon - Little to no value here. Maybe you can get something for Dickey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Fangraphs has a 50FV on TD, and he was bought with Alvarez/Harrell..... not sure why some people are so sure that Garcia can only nab a 40/45 FV type guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Teams often seem to need a catcher around the deadline. We have three who could be traded: Flowers, Suzuki and Recker.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    List of potential players that might be traded:

Better than Average Chance at getting flipped;
    Jaime Garcia - Our best trade chip, he's strung together several good starts now. The Braves could also open up a spot in the rotation by dealing Garcia.
    Jason Motte - He's pitched reasonably well, he's a veteran with postseason experience; as long as he doesn't fall off a cliff, he's going to be dealt IMO.
    Bradon Phillips - Hitting really well, good clubhouse guy, one-year deal - perfect trade candidate; even if its just to a team that wants another professional hitter off the bench, we should be able to move Phillips.

Coin Flip;
    Jim Johnson - Could definitely see him being flipped, the SOs are at 9.7 K/9, but the Braves won't give him away either and they have him under contract next season.
    Viz - I think the Braves would like to 'sell high' here with his injury history and PED instance, but for those same reasons another team likely won't overpay.
    Adams - I'm of the belief the Braves should move him, but I have a feeling Coppy wants to keep him as insurance for Freddie and as bench bat next year. He's hit well since he's been here.

Doubtful
    Kemp/Markakis - Don't see much value to outside teams here with the money owed, defensive issues and in Markakis' case the lack of power.
    Teheran - His value has taken a big hit, so whats the point? Better off keeping him now.
    Dickey/Colon - Little to no value here. Maybe you can get something for Dickey.
    Good list.

With Matt Adams, I just wonder what his expected price tag for his last two years of control would be and whether that really makes sense for the Braves off the bench?

I was surprised that the Orioles had checked in on Dickey.

Johnson is probably a set up man to most teams, maybe a closer for a desperate situation that doesn't want to pay a ton.

I would think Tyler Flowers might be one of the more attractive assets. I'm relatively sure that would be a good idea. It seems pretty clearly a selling high proposition and you can't expect for it to last long even if it is real.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Teams often seem to need a catcher around the deadline. We have three who could be traded: Flowers, Suzuki and Recker.
    Good point, should have added them to my list;

I think its doubtful any of them get traded though.

Flowers - Here's a guy that 'fits' all the usual reasons to be traded, playing above his head, short-term contract, veteran on a rebuilding team..... and yet I think we need a solid catcher to work with our young pitchers and that Coppy is going to hold onto him.
    Just don't see much of a market for Suzuki/Recker; although certainly Suzuki could be dealt in a minor deal.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Good point, should have added them to my list;

I think its doubtful any of them get traded though.

Flowers - Here's a guy that 'fits' all the usual reasons to be traded, playing above his head, short-term contract, veteran on a rebuilding team..... and yet I think we need a solid catcher to work with our young pitchers and that Coppy is going to hold onto him.
    Just don't see much of a market for Suzuki/Recker; although certainly Suzuki could be dealt in a minor deal.
    I think it is one of those things that if you can get a good prospect out of trading Flowers and/or others, you have to do it.

That's a great deal for next season, but sort of hard to see him as being a huge difference next year. There are options out there and maybe you could get a Montero on a reasonable two year deal? Not sure what that would look like.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Fangraphs has a 50FV on TD, and he was bought with Alvarez/Harrell..... not sure why some people are so sure that Garcia can only nab a 40/45 FV type guy.
    That's what I'm thinking. Trade deadline deals are not normal deals. You have a team trying to contend and you have another with no need to compete in a loss season. The Braves should set a somewhat high price and only move a bit. They have most of the power, because they can simply keep the player. Colon and Dickey will not be that way, but definitely Garcia and any of the relievers.

What also helps, is a club trying to nab a package of our players for a player that is blocked in their orginazation. A certain Cubs 3rd baseman comes to mind.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Different evaluators but TD was ranked #21 for the Rangers to start 2016 as a 40 FV player. He was also coming off of or in the middle of his 80 game PED suspension and had a meh season. He had a strong year in 2016 and got reranked as a 50 FV player. I doubt he was valued by the Rangers as a 50 FV guy when the trade was made. Harrell was also making league minimum while Garcia makes several million still.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Different evaluators but TD was ranked #21 for the Rangers to start 2016 as a 40 FV player. He was also coming off of or in the middle of his 80 game PED suspension and had a meh season. He had a strong year in 2016 and got reranked as a 50 FV player. I doubt he was valued by the Rangers as a 50 FV guy when the trade was made. Harrell was also making league minimum while Garcia makes several million still.
    Garcia is also much, much better. TD's stock had rebounded a good bit when Texas traded him, too.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I want everyone to remember these predictions when the trade deadline has passed. I'm sure it won't prevent unrealistic expectations in the future (being consistently wrong has never prevented it around here before), but a guy can hope haha!

The most valuable short term veteran is BP. He can be projected to produce ~1 WAR over the last 2 months, and will play everyday in the postseason for a contender. All for about $300k. He likely has a surplus value to a playoff team 2-3x that of Garcia. Just need a contender to have an opening at 2B.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-16-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Garcia is also much, much better. TD's stock had rebounded a good bit when Texas traded him, too.
    I'm sure it did rebound some but I also don't think it's accurate to call him a 50 FV player when the trade was made. Split the difference and call it 45 if you want. I think Texas had given up on TD to be honest. I also don't think Garcia has as much trade value as some are suggesting. He's been fairly lucky this year and he's very injury prone. Strange things do happen at the trade deadline though.