Page 10 of 268 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Media

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    What difference would it have made if the substance came from Oliver or someone from your state like Stephen Colbert?

Thats a very troubling view to have about immigrants. Oliver is a citizen so he has as much of a right to bitch about government and politics as you or I whom were born here.
    I guess I've always been a believer that if you hate something don't do it. Walk away. Change the channel. Oliver knows he'd be nothing if he still lived over there. So he comes over here and makes a lot of money, talking **** about this country that my ancestors were treated like second hand citizens and generations later they bleed for this great country.

Arnold didn't get on tv everyday, criticizing America like Oliver does.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I guess I've always been a believer that if you hate something don't do it. Walk away. Change the channel. Oliver knows he'd be nothing if he still lived over there. So he comes over here and makes a lot of money, talking **** about this country that my ancestors were treated like second hand citizens and generations later they bleed for this great country.

Arnold didn't get on tv everyday, criticizing America like Oliver does.
    Oliver is on TV once a week not everyday. Stewart is Canadian and did it 4 nights a week for almost two decades.

Oliver would likely have been doing the same thing in England. There's just a bigger market here for political commentators ripping into the government here.

Oliver criticizing the government here is no different than Limbo or Hannity ripping Obama every night. But I'm inclined to believe you didn't mind them ripping Obama every night because you didn't like Obama to begin with.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I don't care if in don't like it I'll never think Oliver shouldn't say the things he does.

I think the middle of the country is getting fed up with guys like limbaugh and oliver.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    What difference would it have made if the substance came from Oliver or someone from your state like Stephen Colbert?

Thats a very troubling view to have about immigrants. Oliver is a citizen so he has as much of a right to bitch about government and politics as you or I whom were born here.
    Oliver is on TV once a week not everyday. Stewart is Canadian and did it 4 nights a week for almost two decades.

Oliver would likely have been doing the same thing in England. There's just a bigger market here for political commentators ripping into the government here.

Oliver criticizing the government here is no different than Limbo or Hannity ripping Obama every night. But I'm inclined to believe you didn't mind them ripping Obama every night because you didn't like Obama to begin with.
    I don't have a problem with Americans ripping on our government. They paid thier dues. But I have problems with people that walk into America and make millions while talking **** about it.

its not a left or right thing. I'm an American first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't care if in don't like it I'll never think Oliver shouldn't say the things he does.

I think the middle of the country is getting fed up with guys like limbaugh and oliver.
    Oliver is nothing like Limbaugh.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Oliver is nothing like Limbaugh.
    You're right limbaugh doesn't have his material written for him.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    That's pretty ****ing good

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Well I mean, Oliver's show is segmented. So obviously it's gonna be written. He used to be a writer for the daily show and Colbert report.

Limbaugh you don't need to write material when all you need to do is come up with outrageous conspiracy theories about Obama and let the supporters draw up conclusions themselves.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Well I mean, Oliver's show is segmented. So obviously it's gonna be written. He used to be a writer for the daily show and Colbert report.

Limbaugh you don't need to write material when all you need to do is come up with outrageous conspiracy theories about Obama and let the supporters draw up conclusions themselves.
    Seems like conspiracy theories is the new norm now so maybe Limbaugh saw where the political discourse was going.

To be honest though I've never listened to Limbaugh. I'd imagine though he is similar to hannity who I will watch from time to time.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    It just seems kind of sad that the substance of what he said has been totally passed over and the focus seems to be on who said it. To me the bottom line is, was it the truth? Was it a lie? I mean, I read here all the time about how the MSM is slanted to the left (which I even agree with, though we sometimes disagree on who is/is not part of the entire media) and the conspiracy stories or plain facts about the depths to which they stoop to get their message out are just plain old facts around here, but when somebody shows that the right is just as slimy and just as bent on controlling the pea-brained minds of the American voters it's deflected into another direction. Is it OK for a right leaning (or left leaning either for that matter) billion dollar corporation or "interest" to control via legal or economic force what we see on our local news? It's one thing for Fox, or MSNBC, or CNN or ABC, NBC, CBS, to be full of ****e and try to brainwash people (it's a really crappy thing but still a thing) but when that particular "news outlet" tries to program local newscasts with their own also slanted point of view, then the message shifts to what country Oliver comes from.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Seems like conspiracy theories is the new norm now so maybe Limbaugh saw where the political discourse was going.

To be honest though I've never listened to Limbaugh. I'd imagine though he is similar to hannity who I will watch from time to time.
    I give Rush props since he kind of invented the right wing version of Goebbels-esque programming and has been doing it longer than anyone else but I can't imagine how anyone can listen to that @$@#$$@$#$@. Hannity is pretty hard to take most of the time but personally I don't think he's nearly as asshatlike as the Rush-meister. It may wind up being like Dante's layers of hell but IMO Rush is much closer to core than Sean.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Ender so good.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Agreed. Ender 2020

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Last week, more Americans tuned in to watch re-runs of “Yogi Bear,” “Full House,” and “Friends” on Nick At Nite than to watch Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon’s shows on CNN.

According to cable ratings from the week of June 26-July 2, CNN’s viewership of its primetime shows was ranked significantly lower than its competitors like Fox News and MSNBC, which place first and second respectively. Clocking in at No. 10 on the list, CNN fell behind HGTV, Nick At Nite, History Channel, and ESPN — the sports network that’s been hemorrhaging viewers for months.

You can't make that **** up. CNN needs to clean house

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Last week, more Americans tuned in to watch re-runs of “Yogi Bear,” “Full House,” and “Friends” on Nick At Nite than to watch Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon’s shows on CNN.

According to cable ratings from the week of June 26-July 2, CNN’s viewership of its primetime shows was ranked significantly lower than its competitors like Fox News and MSNBC, which place first and second respectively. Clocking in at No. 10 on the list, CNN fell behind HGTV, Nick At Nite, History Channel, and ESPN — the sports network that’s been hemorrhaging viewers for months.

You can't make that **** up. CNN needs to clean house
    yes

cause news should be viewed in the same light as the things you mentioned

no wonder we have a reality tv show president
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    yes

cause news should be viewed in the same light as the things you mentioned

no wonder we have a reality tv show president

News are on the list. Foxnews is #1. CNN gets less viewers than crap networks because CNN is crap
    Last edited by Krgrecw; 07-09-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    News are on the list. Foxnews is #1. CNN gets less viewers than crap networks because CNN is crap
    somehow you agreed with what i said and still dumb enough to argue for some reason

congrats to fox news lowering the bar of journalism so ratings are the only thing that matters now

i guess
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    It just seems kind of sad that the substance of what he said has been totally passed over and the focus seems to be on who said it. To me the bottom line is, was it the truth? Was it a lie? I mean, I read here all the time about how the MSM is slanted to the left (which I even agree with, though we sometimes disagree on who is/is not part of the entire media) and the conspiracy stories or plain facts about the depths to which they stoop to get their message out are just plain old facts around here, but when somebody shows that the right is just as slimy and just as bent on controlling the pea-brained minds of the American voters it's deflected into another direction. Is it OK for a right leaning (or left leaning either for that matter) billion dollar corporation or "interest" to control via legal or economic force what we see on our local news? It's one thing for Fox, or MSNBC, or CNN or ABC, NBC, CBS, to be full of ****e and try to brainwash people (it's a really crappy thing but still a thing) but when that particular "news outlet" tries to program local newscasts with their own also slanted point of view, then the message shifts to what country Oliver comes from.
    I am on the opposite end of the political spectrum from Oliver, but wow he is entertaining. I don't think I have ever watched a clip of his show without genuinely laughing out loud.

As for the story, it appears to be accurate, it's certainly troubling, and I have no problem with Oliver being the guy to present it. At the same time, we all know that the only place in America you would see a similar story about liberal bias is on Fox. Calling Fox biased is low hanging fruit and I see people from both sides do it. We rarely see guys like Oliver and Colbert calling out CNN, MSNBC, NYT, etc. for their blatant bias. That is where the frustration comes in.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I am on the opposite end of the political spectrum from Oliver, but wow he is entertaining. I don't think I have ever watched a clip of his show without genuinely laughing out loud.

He's freaking hilarious and he's WAY farther to the left than I've ever been or likely ever will be. I have no problem with humor or truth no matter who says it but rather those who refuse to see or acknowledge something is the truth because it isn't what they want to see/hear and then turn around and parrot their own brand of propaganda and being sure it isn't propaganda at all, but just plain old gospel truth. Around here, as in the nation as a whole, it is perceived that the opposite of left leaning BS is truth, rather than the opposite of left leaning BS is right leaning BS (with truth being somewhere in the middle). So many people anymore can't or won't see that BS is BS, it's just that one pile of BS is more palatable than the other, because they already believed the pile they choose to go with, or as Fat Bastard used to say on the Austin Powers movies (about flatulence) "everybody likes his own brand...).

As for the story, it appears to be accurate, it's certainly troubling, and I have no problem with Oliver being the guy to present it. At the same time, we all know that the only place in America you would see a similar story about liberal bias is on Fox. Calling Fox biased is low hanging fruit and I see people from both sides do it. We rarely see guys like Oliver and Colbert calling out CNN, MSNBC, NYT, etc. for their blatant bias. That is where the frustration comes in.

Fox is terrible, just like the others I mentioned, no more no less, IMO, but it always seems to go back to what I said above anything that goes against what I already thought/believed is BS or "Fake News". That started in earnest back during the early parts of W's presidency (or should I say Cheney's presidency), when CBS and Dan Rather did that story based on some half truths and hearsay and were rightly called out on it. The far right, Fox, and talk radio, along with every right leaning website in existence, took that and ran with it, saying basically that "you can't trust anything the liberal media says" and of course the second verse of that song was "so therefore you can trust everything we say". Well the fact of the matter was/is that anything either side says should be listened to/evaluated with scrutiny, but the kind of scrutiny that was/is used turned out to be, evaluating it based on who says it rather than what is said. That allows the individual to read/watch/see the information and still wind up at the same place he/she was to start with, and at the same time self satisfaction of "hell yeah, I evaluated the information carefully and found it to be lacking truth", but according to whom? Honestly I'm to the point where it just doesn't matter anymore. People see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear and literally NOTHING is going to change their minds about its level of truth so the only person who catches hell for "it" is the messenger, so why bother? As a history person I think back to all the past generations and past civilizations who would have gladly given their lives for their children to be able to live in a country where they had the kinds of rights we take for granted every day. The problem is, there can be no rights, at least not for long, where there are not also responsibilities. Remember the statue's caption reads "eternal vigilance is the price of liberty", not faithfully tuning in to the left or right leaning BS machine that tells me what I want to hear and taking what they tell me as THE absolute truth, is the price of liberty.

Like all the nations and civilizations and people who have come and gone over the centuries and eons, we will one day have to answer for what we had to work with and what we did with it and how we had the greatest gifts of all and took them for granted and eventually lost them all, and deservedly so.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-10-2017)