Page 11 of 267 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Media

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    The next to the last paragraph is so true. Very nice post and my feelings exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The story fell apart on Tuesday and Fox & Friends host Steve Doocy admitted they were “mistaken”:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...efully-tweeted
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    3 million tuned into the TrumpJr Hannity interview.

Hmm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Meat Loaf once had a #1 hit.

What is your point ?

"... a crowd of people stopped to stare and I just had to look

having read the book ... "

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Meat Loaf once had a #1 hit.

What is your point ?

"... a crowd of people stopped to stare and I just had to look

having read the book ... "
    Meat Loaf had two #1 hits.

What's your point?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-13-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts

This will trigger kg
    Forever Fredi

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

This will trigger kg
    Possibly, but if he makes it to the 5:15 mark on this one I'm pretty sure it will cheer him up quite a bit, possibly even enough to cause him to forget the "Twitter Wall of Fame" video. Check it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I am no fan of James O'Keefe's theatrics, but he is once again exposing the bias of a "gold standard" news source:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    So what's controversial here? Everything said is either true and/or is already well known. What's his next expose? Harvey Weinstein is a sexual predator? Or is that they make a profit? So what? That's the point.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Cajun I know you despise Trump, so imagine if the senior editor in charge of picking what goes on the front page of the NYT website were caught saying the following about Ron Paul:

"if we write about him, about how insanely crazy he is and how ludicrous his policies are, then maybe people will read it and be like, oh wow, we shouldn't vote for him."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I am no fan of James O'Keefe's theatrics, but he is once again exposing the bias of a "gold standard" news source:

so in this case you like what he says just not what he does (policies)
    The Whacky World of Jaw

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...cord_laws.html

Do you have to like, take a shower or wash your hands or something after swimming in this pool ?
    The ends justifies the means ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    This was long, and I only pulled out a few pieces. The entire article is outstanding.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/21/the-oth...-doesnt-cover/

Former NPR CEO opens up about liberal media bias

Most reporters and editors are liberal — a now-dated Pew Research Center poll found that liberals outnumber conservatives in the media by some 5 to 1, and that comports with my own anecdotal experience at National Public Radio. When you are liberal, and everyone else around you is as well, it is easy to fall into groupthink on what stories are important, what sources are legitimate and what the narrative of the day will be.

This may seem like an unusual admission from someone who once ran NPR, but it is borne of recent experience. Spurred by a fear that red and blue America were drifting irrevocably apart, I decided to venture out from my overwhelmingly Democratic neighborhood and engage Republicans where they live, work and pray. For an entire year, I embedded myself with the other side, standing in pit row at a NASCAR race, hanging out at Tea Party meetings and sitting in on Steve Bannon’s radio show. I found an America far different from the one depicted in the press and imagined by presidents (“cling to guns or religion”) and presidential candidates (“basket of deplorables”) alike.
    Over the course of this past year, I have tried to consume media as they do and understand it as a partisan player. It is not so hard to do. Take guns. Gun control and gun rights is one of our most divisive issues, and there are legitimate points on both sides. But media is obsessed with the gun-control side and gives only scant, mostly negative, recognition to the gun-rights sides.

Take, for instance, the issue of legitimate defensive gun use (DGU), which is often dismissed by the media as myth. But DGUs happen all the time — 200 times a day, according to the Department of Justice, or 5,000 times a day, according to an overly exuberant Florida State University study. But whichever study you choose to believe, DGUs happen frequently and give credence to my hunting friends who see their guns as the last line of defense for themselves and their families.
    It is an amazing story, though far from unique, but you simply won’t find many like it in mainstream media (I found it on Reddit).

It’s not that media is suppressing stories intentionally. It’s that these stories don’t reflect their interests and beliefs.

It’s why my new friends in Youngstown, Ohio, and Pikeville, Ky., see media as hopelessly disconnected from their lives, and it is how the media has opened the door to charges of bias.
    None of this justifies the attacks from President Trump, which are terribly inappropriate coming from the head of government. At the same time, the media should acknowledge its own failings in reflecting only their part of America. You can’t cover America from the Acela corridor, and the media need to get out and be part of the conversations that take place in churches and community centers and town halls.

I did that, and loved it, though I regret waiting until well after I left NPR to do so. I am skeptical that many will do so, since the current situation in an odd way works for Trump, who gets to rile his base, and for the media, which has grown an audience on the back of Washington dysfunction. In the end, they are both short-term winners. It is the public that is the long-term loser.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    This was long, and I only pulled out a few pieces. The entire article is outstanding.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/21/the-oth...-doesnt-cover/

Former NPR CEO opens up about liberal media bias

Most reporters and editors are liberal — a now-dated Pew Research Center poll found that liberals outnumber conservatives in the media by some 5 to 1, and that comports with my own anecdotal experience at National Public Radio. When you are liberal, and everyone else around you is as well, it is easy to fall into groupthink on what stories are important, what sources are legitimate and what the narrative of the day will be.

This may seem like an unusual admission from someone who once ran NPR, but it is borne of recent experience. Spurred by a fear that red and blue America were drifting irrevocably apart, I decided to venture out from my overwhelmingly Democratic neighborhood and engage Republicans where they live, work and pray. For an entire year, I embedded myself with the other side, standing in pit row at a NASCAR race, hanging out at Tea Party meetings and sitting in on Steve Bannon’s radio show. I found an America far different from the one depicted in the press and imagined by presidents (“cling to guns or religion”) and presidential candidates (“basket of deplorables”) alike.
    Over the course of this past year, I have tried to consume media as they do and understand it as a partisan player. It is not so hard to do. Take guns. Gun control and gun rights is one of our most divisive issues, and there are legitimate points on both sides. But media is obsessed with the gun-control side and gives only scant, mostly negative, recognition to the gun-rights sides.

Take, for instance, the issue of legitimate defensive gun use (DGU), which is often dismissed by the media as myth. But DGUs happen all the time — 200 times a day, according to the Department of Justice, or 5,000 times a day, according to an overly exuberant Florida State University study. But whichever study you choose to believe, DGUs happen frequently and give credence to my hunting friends who see their guns as the last line of defense for themselves and their families.
    It is an amazing story, though far from unique, but you simply won’t find many like it in mainstream media (I found it on Reddit).

It’s not that media is suppressing stories intentionally. It’s that these stories don’t reflect their interests and beliefs.

It’s why my new friends in Youngstown, Ohio, and Pikeville, Ky., see media as hopelessly disconnected from their lives, and it is how the media has opened the door to charges of bias.
    None of this justifies the attacks from President Trump, which are terribly inappropriate coming from the head of government. At the same time, the media should acknowledge its own failings in reflecting only their part of America. You can’t cover America from the Acela corridor, and the media need to get out and be part of the conversations that take place in churches and community centers and town halls.

I did that, and loved it, though I regret waiting until well after I left NPR to do so. I am skeptical that many will do so, since the current situation in an odd way works for Trump, who gets to rile his base, and for the media, which has grown an audience on the back of Washington dysfunction. In the end, they are both short-term winners. It is the public that is the long-term loser.
    I read a recent letter to the editor about a woman from LA who moved to on of the mid-west states (can't remember which).

She basically said she was dreading it and all of her friends mocked her for having to move to "dumb America"

But like this person, said once she actually met and talked to people, she realized simply that they are not dumb but rather disenchanted. That they were much friendlier, kinder, and resonable than her friends LA... and that it was the best move she'd ever made. That she recongnizes how the media portrays issue on their behalf, but couldn't be further from the truth. That people who supported Trump didn't do it because they were racist, but because they felt they had nobody left of their side.

Was just an interesting perspective from a self-admitted "liberal elite"

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-01-2017), Jaw (10-24-2017), Tapate50 (11-01-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    speaking of "dumb America"

https://www.vox.com/2017/10/31/16571...er-credibility
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................

What we found was striking:

Fox News was unable to talk about the Mueller investigation without bringing up Hillary Clinton, even as federal indictments were being brought against top Trump campaign officials.

Fox also talked significantly less about George Papadopoulos — the Trump campaign adviser whose plea deal with Mueller provides the most explicit evidence thus far that the campaign knew of the Russian government’s efforts to help Trump — than its competitors.

Fox News repeatedly called Mueller’s credibility into question, while shying away from talking about the possibility that Trump might fire Mueller.

y'all can quit sying how much you don't pay attention to Fox please.
    Just ride with it and stand by your source

It's not like a secret or anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    The irony of using a Vox article to talk about the bias of Fox is just more than I can handle.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-01-2017), Tapate50 (11-01-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Cajun I know you despise Trump, so imagine if the senior editor in charge of picking what goes on the front page of the NYT website were caught saying the following about Ron Paul:

"if we write about him, about how insanely crazy he is and how ludicrous his policies are, then maybe people will read it and be like, oh wow, we shouldn't vote for him."

Well the media as a whole pretty much said that but the exact opposite. The media refused to cover Ron Paul and when they did cover him they always said he had no chance. They didn't have anything to criticize him on so they refused to cover him. They certainly weren't going to talk about his record because it is extremely popular and consistent.

Here are some examples

This is what passes as crazy in this country. I am convinced the screwing of Ron Paul directly led to Trump being president. Notice how Ron Paul trashes Trump daily yet gets nothing but respect from Trump and his followers.

Last edited by cajunrevenge; 11-01-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-01-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The irony of using a Vox article to talk about the bias of Fox is just more than I can handle.

You defend dis information.
    Why ?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Well the media as a whole pretty much said that but the exact opposite. The media refused to cover Ron Paul and when they did cover him they always said he had no chance. They didn't have anything to criticize him on so they refused to cover him. They certainly weren't going to talk about his record because it is extremely popular and consistent.

Here are some examples

This is what passes as crazy in this country. I am convinced the screwing of Ron Paul directly led to Trump being president. Notice how Ron Paul trashes Trump daily yet gets nothing but respect from Trump and his followers.

Here's another good one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    You defend dis information.
    Why ?
    I wasn't defending it, I was pointing it out.