Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 5352

Thread: Let's Talk About Media

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Well, we can start with the definition since I’m guessing you don’t know what it means

gas·light

gerund or present participle: gaslighting
    manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.

He literally described Rush and the cult he built and what the maga movement is

He is trying to say the other side is everything that is really themselves and what they are doing. It’s so crazy you question if this is reality cause it’s so stupid you dumb cunt
    you should re-read this post

its the words of a mentally unwell person

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Nice of you to avoid my point of clutching pearls though about rush and trying to spin it elsewhere instead of just admitting he was vile and you shouldn’t be surprised people just don’t forget the hate he built all cause he died
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    you should re-read this post

its the words of a mentally unwell person

I’ll take that with literally zero grains of salt

But thanks your input cunt
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    Nice of you to avoid my point of clutching pearls though about rush and trying to spin it elsewhere instead of just admitting he was vile and you shouldn’t be surprised people just don’t forget the hate he built all cause he died
    ... wut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    I’ll take that with literally zero grains of salt

But thanks your input cunt
    please dont beat me up!!!

lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    it’s the internet cunt

Can’t beat someone up over it.

Back to watching this movie though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    it’s the internet cunt

Can’t beat someone up over it.

Back to watching this movie though.
    Your boyfriend looks good...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    BTW, ain't it great that sturg33 was able to predict that goldy's mom would be fine based on data and science?

and goldy chose liberal fear to be irrationally scared based on nothing but propaganda

follow the science dummy. i can help you if you needed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Your boyfriend looks good...

BTW, ain't it great that sturg33 was able to predict that goldy's mom would be fine based on data and science?

and goldy chose liberal fear to be irrationally scared based on nothing but propaganda

follow the science dummy. i can help you if you needed
    Man

Come back to see what pathetic **** you replied with after the movie

And it’s a level even lower than I was imagining from the little sniveling piece of **** that you are

Congrats on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I'm gonna do a radical experiment here and offer an attempt at nuance.

Let's say there is a wave of violence against Chinese people in Oakland. And most of the violence is being perpetrated by black people. If I were advising the media on how to cover this, I would say they should in specific instances include a description (or better yet video or still picture) of the perpetrator. But they should not generally say most of these attacks are by black people. To do so is to contribute to the stigmatization of black people, the vast majority of whom are not involved in the attacks.

Let's move to a somewhat different scenario. Let's say the attacks are by people associated with a movement or ideology. Let's say for the sake of discussion this group is known as the Black Power Movement or the Black Panthers. If I were advising media covering this I would say they should share with their readers or viewers the information they have about the affiliation of the attackers to the Black Power Movement or Black Panthers.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-19-2021 at 08:48 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm gonna do a radical experiment here and offer an attempt at nuance.

Let's say there is a wave of violence against Chinese people in Oakland. And most of the violence is being perpetrated by black people. If I were advising the media on how to cover this, I would say they should in specific instances include a description (or better yet video or still picture) of the perpetrator. But they should not generally say most of these attacks are by black people. To do so is to contribute to the stigmatization of black people, the vast majority of whom are not involved in the attacks.

Let's move to a somewhat different scenario. Let's say the attacks are by people associated with a movement or ideology. Let's say for the sake of discussion this group is known as the Black Power Movement or the Black Panthers. If I were advising media covering this I would say they should share with their readers or viewers the information they have about the affiliation of the attackers to the Black Power Movement or Black Panthers.
    So how would you describe CNN's "white nationalist" boogeymen, and how would you describe the rioters who appeared, burned, assaulted, and looted under cover of a multitude of BLM protests?
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We would also need a concrete definition of white nationalists and understand how each accusation ties into that definition.

White nationalism exists. The left is being incredibly lazy, or diabolical depending on your level of conspiracy theoryness, by labeling effectively everything as white nationalism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    So how would you describe CNN's "white nationalist" boogeymen, and how would you describe the rioters who appeared, burned, assaulted, and looted under cover of a multitude of BLM protests?
    You would have to direct me to what it is CNN ran. I think it is perfectly ok (see my post above) to run a piece on the FBI devoting more resources to stopping violence by white nationalists or to note that violence by white supremacist groups is on the rise. If violence by left-wing groups were rising, a piece on that would be entirely appropriate as well.

We've had similar discussions in recent years about Muslims and Islamic extremists. How do you cover activity by Islamic extremists without tarring Muslims. It can be done.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-19-2021 at 09:06 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    The incoming "war on (domestic) terror" under the guise of stopping white nationalist... will impact everybody in this country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    You would have to direct me to what it is CNN ran. I think it is perfectly ok (see my post above) to run a piece on the FBI devoting more resources to stopping violence by white nationalists.
    Your post above seemed to say that descriptions of individuals and names of organizations were appropriate, but that racial generalities were not. Specifically:

But they should not generally say most of these attacks are by black people. To do so is to contribute to the stigmatization of black people, the vast majority of whom are not involved in the attacks.

I'm not sure how you can make that statement and then support using the term "white nationalists" in the next post.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Your post above seemed to say that descriptions of individuals and names of organizations were appropriate, but that racial generalities were not. Specifically:

But they should not generally say most of these attacks are by black people. To do so is to contribute to the stigmatization of black people, the vast majority of whom are not involved in the attacks.

I'm not sure how you can make that statement and then support using the term "white nationalists" in the next post.
    To run a story on violent crime by white people is not kosher. To run one about violent crime by people motivated by white supremacist or white nationalist ideology is ok.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    It’s odd that when the perpetrators of racial attacks aren’t white that we never mention their race. Black people have been responsible for the majority of attacks against Asians in Cali and Jews in NY.

The fact that we can’t say what everyone knows shows how unserious these people are in protecting Asians/Jews for the sake of their well being.

It’s all based on a racial grievance scale. If you perpetrate crimes against those who are higher on the racial grievance scale than it’s a big story. In the other direction it’s effectively ignored.

Unserious people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    To run a story on violent crime by white people is not kosher. To run one about violent crime by people motivated by white supremacist or white nationalist ideology is ok.
    And those labels are applied after confirming their political ideologies right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    And those labels are applied after confirming their political ideologies right?
    Well if someone is busting windows most reporters are not going to go up to the guy and ask him for his ideological affiliation. I wouldn't ask a reporter to do that if it might be unsafe. But there is a reportorial obligation to try and find as much information as possible about the motivations of people committing violent acts. It is an important part of the story.

"I am your retribution."