Page 16 of 268 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Media

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Because they went to the trouble to verify the claim, they discovered she was a fraud. Nice to see the professional media doing its job the right way. Should post this story in the "good news" thread.

There's a whole industry out there whose one goal is to discredit real news.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Because they went to the trouble to verify the claim, they discovered she was a fraud. Nice to see the professional media doing its job the right way. Should post this story in the "good news" thread.

yep

and one branch of the us gov't is part of it too
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post

There's a whole thread you're currently posting in that is doing a great job of doing that.

I think it's more telling that we have to celebrate basic journalistic standards as a sign of tremendous progress

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    During the election we were told, repeatedly, that Project Veritas was a joke and not to be taken seriously. And there wasn’t altogether much disagreement on that front. Now, suddenly, apparently, we should collectively clutch our pearls and take O’Keefe extremely seriously.

Just trying to keep track.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    During the election we were told, repeatedly, that Project Veritas was a joke and not to be taken seriously. And there wasn’t altogether much disagreement on that front. Now, suddenly, apparently, we should collectively clutch our pearls and take O’Keefe extremely seriously.

Nothing has ever changed on the O'Keefe front

He's always been garbage and a fraud

If you know, you didn't Hang out in the "fake news" crowd

Then it wouldn't have to obviously be pointed out

Again

Sleep with dogs, you get fleas though hawk
    Last edited by goldfly; 11-28-2017 at 05:07 AM.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think it's more telling that we have to celebrate basic journalistic standards as a sign of tremendous progress
    it's telling that you interpret it that way.
    it's mostly just funny that these people helped prove themselves wrong.
    stories like this are well-sourced and the person telling the story well-vetted. which is why your fear of one accusation bringing someone down is dumb. speaking of telling, it's telling that you're more worried about that than the masses of women who were and are actually being harassed and abused. not at all surprising, but definitely telling.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (11-28-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

trump donated to them.
    and was talking about fake accusations on, you guessed it, twitter. almost like he knew this was coming and was hoping the fake story created by people who supposedly hate "fake news" would break. but he wouldn't have time for that, right? being that he's president and all?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (11-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    shocker a person that posts misinformation of videos that gets spread by the likes in this thread and endorsed by the liar in chief was caught in a lie

Washington Post executive editor Marty Baron: “Because of our customary journalistic rigor, we weren’t fooled.”

Woman Tried to Dupe Washington Post With False Claim About Roy Moore, Paper Says

A woman with ties to a right-wing activist group falsely claimed to The Washington Post that she had conceived a child with Roy S. Moore, the Republican Senate candidate in Alabama, when she was 15, the newspaper reported on Monday afternoon.

The woman, identified by the paper as Jaime T. Phillips, claimed in recent interviews with reporters that she had an abortion after having sex with Mr. Moore in 1992. But The Post said that it had discovered inconsistencies in her account and evidence that the woman concocted the sensational claim to try to dupe reporters and coax them into discussing the political impact her story could have on Mr. Moore.

A reporter with The Post confronted the woman about the holes in her story on Wednesday and then Post journalists saw her on Monday morning entering the offices of Project Veritas, a conservative group that films undercover videos. The organization, led by the activist James O’Keefe, has recently targeted journalists, trying to goad them into revealing biases or unethical schemes to discredit the news media.

“The intent by Project Veritas clearly was to publicize the conversation if we fell for the trap,” Martin Baron, the executive editor at The Post, was quoted as saying. “Because of our customary journalistic rigor, we weren’t fooled.”

A reporter and a videographer with The Post questioned Mr. O’Keefe on Monday outside his group’s office in Mamaroneck, N.Y., about Ms. Phillips’s apparent connections with Project Veritas.

“I am not doing an interview right now, so I’m not going to say a word,” Mr. O’Keefe responded.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/27/u...smtyp=cur&_r=0
    I don't like O'Keefe, or his tactics, or his smug little attitude. But I also don't like that the bias he has proven in the past has been shrugged off, or that it's even necessary to prove the obvious leftward lean of media to so many people. Basically I think that he and the media he ambushes deserve each other.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I don't like O'Keefe, or his tactics, or his smug little attitude. But I also don't like that the bias he has proven in the past has been shrugged off, or that it's even necessary to prove the obvious leftward lean of media to so many people. Basically I think that he and the media he ambushes deserve each other.
    How is it even possible for people to not see how much of a liberal bias there is in the media?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    How is it even possible for people to not see how much of a liberal bias there is in the media?
    i suppose the same way you refuse to see that trump lies about things constantly, big and small, but you trust and believe him anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i suppose the same way you refuse to see that trump lies about things constantly, big and small, but you trust and believe him anyway.
    I'd love it if you could prove this statement.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Progress in our multi-ethnic world will have a liberal bias.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    This is quite a gymnastic bit of moral equivalence.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

As long as he's getting assigned credibility by major media outlets and getting generously bankrolled, I don't see why it's objectionable to talk about him. If he's being taken seriously at all, there's a conversation to be had.

You're so coddly and protective of Trump and Trump supporters, yet so dismissive of the media that underpin him and inform them. You do it with Fox, Breitbart, O'Keefe. It's interesting, and dare I say elitist?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I'd love it if you could prove this statement.
    I mean, let's start with a super small, super dumb, super petty lie: inauguration crowd size. he said it was the biggest. it wasn't even close. it's just a blatant, stupid lie. there's a ridiculous amount of lies like this. what is the point of lying about something so petty? why do you believe it? no one even really cares about it, but he lies about it for some reason.

but i mean, really, read through this list: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...umps-lies.html

all blatant lies, or statements that have no support. let's run down a few:

“And yet the murder rate in our country is the highest it’s been in 47 years, right? Did you know that? Forty-seven years.” - easy to verify as untrue

“I saved more than $600 million. I got involved in negotiation on a fighter jet, the F-35.” - he had nothing to do with it

“We got 306 because people came out and voted like they've never seen before so that's the way it goes. I guess it was the biggest Electoral College win since Ronald Reagan.” - lie

“Since Obamacare went into effect, nearly half of the insurers are stopped and have stopped from participating in the Obamacare exchanges.” gross exaggeration

“It is so pathetic that the Dems have still not approved my full Cabinet.” - his team hadn't submitted all the paperwork

“I was in Tennessee — I was just telling the folks — and half of the state has no insurance company, and the other half is going to lose the insurance company.” - lie

“Remember when the failing @nytimes apologized to its subscribers, right after the election, because their coverage was so wrong. Now worse!” - lie

“We have a lot of plants going up now in Michigan that were never going to be there if I — if I didn’t win this election, those plants would never even think about going back. They were gone.” - already planned

“I like Steve, but you have to remember he was not involved in my campaign until very late. I had already beaten all the senators and all the governors, and I didn’t know Steve.” - lie

“When WikiLeaks came out ... never heard of WikiLeaks, never heard of it.” - lie

“The trade deficit with Mexico is close to $70 billion, even with Canada it’s $17 billion trade deficit with Canada.” - there was no deficit with canada

“When they talk about currency manipulation, and I did say I would call China, if they were, a currency manipulator, early in my tenure. And then I get there. Number one, they — as soon as I got elected, they stopped.” - nope

“Well, we are protecting pre-existing conditions. And it'll be every good — bit as good on pre-existing conditions as Obamacare.” - the bill weakened protections on pre existing conditions

“We’re the highest-taxed nation in the world.”

“Last week a brand-new coal mine just opened in the state of Pennsylvania, first time in decades, decades.” - lie

“Ratings way down!” - cnn's rating were at a 5-year high

“We’ve signed more bills — and I’m talking about through the legislature — than any president, ever.” - lie

this is only through june-july and only includes statements as president. which of these is not actually a lie? tell me what trump actually meant in all of these things that are simply not true.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-28-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    can we at least all agree that project veritas shouldn't be doing things like that? if we actually care about the sexual assault/harassment issue, this type of thing only hurts the harassed and abused. i know "actually caring" is the key phrase here, since many of you have proven you couldn't care less.

i mean, do we not the see irony in trying to create fake news in order to prove that a newspaper declared fake news is, in fact, fake news, but failing big league because they aren't in fact, fake news? at least step up and say people shouldn't be doing this. it doesn't help anyone, and again, only works to harm those affected by sexual harassment/assault.
    Last edited by Super; 11-28-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm responding to the point of you saying we believe him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    “Remember when the failing @nytimes apologized to its subscribers, right after the election, because their coverage was so wrong. Now worse!” - lie

Didn't you write this exact thing the other day, or was that someone else?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-28-2017), jpx7 (12-04-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    you certainly believe 3-5 million people voted illegally.

but you're basically saying you don't believe a president's words or lies matter.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    This is quite a gymnastic bit of moral equivalence.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club