Page 20 of 268 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Media

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    hold up, the president that has banned iranians and the followers who are scared of them

and the ones that think you should bend your knee and we need "authority back"

are on the side of protesters now?

****ing garbage
    Why would you think Iranians want to come here when given a potential option of freedom. The mullahs are responsible for the US policy regarding immigrstion. If thus revolution is successful I would wager a wile lot of money that Iran is taken off the travel ban. But you know that and still will make one of your useless points.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The protests have been going on for almost 4 days now. Most msm went reporting on it till halfway though and some outlets like CNN pushed the Iranian government propoganda as to the nature of the protest's. I mean seriously Julio. We should all be able to a free that a free Iran is best for the world. In no way should there be puff pieces on pro grovernment rallies.
    I wasn't auditing cable news, so I can't speak for when and how it was covered. But I have noticed neither a shortage of coverage nor analysis. What I have also noticed is a narrative about the coverage, which you're following to a T, being pushed from a narrow and predictable band of outlets. And from that narrative you're drawing all kinds of insane conclusions about who is supporting whom and why. You need to get outside that bubble, friend. You fall for their **** every time, and then you bring it here. It's toxic for you, me, and for our society.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I wasn't auditing cable news, so I can't speak for when and how it was covered. But I have noticed neither a shortage of coverage nor analysis. What I have also noticed is a narrative about the coverage, which you're following to a T, being pushed from a narrow and predictable band of outlets. And from that narrative you're drawing all kinds of insane conclusions about who is supporting whom and why. You need to get outside that bubble, friend. You fall for their **** every time, and then you bring it here. It's toxic for you, me, and for our society.
    The narrative being people should support humans seeking freedom? Wow Julio. Can't believe showing support for the Iranians is a partisan topic.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The narrative being people should support humans seeking freedom? Wow Julio. Can't believe showing support for the Iranians is a partisan topic.
    is the media supposed to do this...i know it is an old fashioned concept but how about just reporting what is happening
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    is the media supposed to do this...i know it is an old fashioned concept but how about just reporting what is happening
    The media has injected themselves into the moral discussion for a loing time. Now is the time to back away from that? Thats hogwash. Now is the time to actually show support for the freedom of people that are subjected to a barbaric lifestyle without any choice of their own. EVERYONE should be supporting the Iranian people to be free and posting information directly from the Mullahs is a joke.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    It's toxic for you, me, and for our society.

/\
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Just looking over the coverage of this by the BBC, CNN, and the NYT and it looks like the BBC started reporting on things on 12/28. The NYT starts picking it up around 12/29. And CNN on 12/30. FoxNews was on board on 12/28.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-02-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    This is a fascinating story we all ought to be interested in. So much has been going on within Iran since even before the Green Revolution. Add in now the new regime in Saudi Arabia, coupled with the intense Arabic hatred of the Shia hardliners in Iran & dislike of Persians in general. And factor in the Trump decision to put the embassy in Jerusalem and the victories against ISIS. Lots going on here.

Hoping at the end of it all the people of Iran have greater freedom and are able to flourish!

I'd love to visit that beautiful country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Just looking over the coverage of this by the BBC, CNN, and the NYT and it looks like the BBC started reporting on things on 12/28. The NYT starts picking it up around 12/29. And CNN on 12/30. FoxNews was on board on 12/28.
    Lets keep in mind that the NYT came out with an article a month ago that stated the move of the US embassy has brought the Iranian people and the government closer together. I just don't get the angle a lot of these news outlets are taking here. Do they not want to admit the Iran nuclear deal with an embarrassing failure for Obama? How could they not be on the side of people that are dying for freedom?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    This is a fascinating story we all ought to be interested in. So much has been going on within Iran since even before the Green Revolution. Add in now the new regime in Saudi Arabia, coupled with the intense Arabic hatred of the Shia hardliners in Iran & dislike of Persians in general. And factor in the Trump decision to put the embassy in Jerusalem and the victories against ISIS. Lots going on here.

Hoping at the end of it all the people of Iran have greater freedom and are able to flourish!

I'd love to visit that beautiful country.
    Iran being a free society would be the most important historical event in the last 25 years. It would be a tremendous benefit for the free people of the world. It would also be a devastating blow to Hezbollah. This is the key to middle east peace right here. Embrace this moment and pray for the Iranian people. Many more will have to die until freedom is achieved.
    Natural Immunity Croc

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Where is the EU's response? Do they not have a moral obligation to make a statement?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'll humbly accept your scolding when you express support for the protests without claiming to understand precisely what they're about, without using them as a platform for bogus media criticism or to score cheap political points. You've done all three, and when I've pointed it out you've strawmanned that into somehow being about supporting humans seeking freedom.

Be better, guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Iran being a free society would be the most important historical event in the last 25 years. It would be a tremendous benefit for the free people of the world. It would also be a devastating blow to Hezbollah. This is the key to middle east peace right here. Embrace this moment and pray for the Iranian people. Many more will have to die until freedom is achieved.
    That's a lovely sentiment when it's the lives of distant strangers at stake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'll humbly accept your scolding when you express support for the protests without claiming to understand precisely what they're about, without using them as a platform for bogus media criticism or to score cheap political points. You've done all three, and when I've pointed it out you've strawmanned that into somehow being about supporting humans seeking freedom.

Be better, guy.
    Anyone can read opinions on what the protests are about. In reality there willb e many motivating factors for individuals. Not even sure why this is a sticking piont for you. Are you saying freedom is not a driving motivator? The desire to be out from theocratic rule?

And the coverage is important because it gives clues as to alliances that are not announced. Laugh at that all you want but there is no reason to delay reporting on what may end up being one of the defining historical events in the last 100 years. Its irresponsible to remain quiet.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Lets keep in mind that the NYT came out with an article a month ago that stated the move of the US embassy has brought the Iranian people and the government closer together. I just don't get the angle a lot of these news outlets are taking here. Do they not want to admit the Iran nuclear deal with an embarrassing failure for Obama? How could they not be on the side of people that are dying for freedom?

That was a particularly bad article.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Its the reality of the situation. Not sure why that is used as a dig at me. But, the underlying fact is true. A free Iran would be great for the world and more directly the Iranian people. Do you disagree with that?
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

Now, you've gone and done it thethe.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-02-2018), thethe (01-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    That was a particularly bad article.
    And then the these liberal news outlets double down by having some of their first reporting of the protests from the angle of pro-government counter protests. I mean, this is absurd. And there are people that defend these actions. We all see what is going on. The oil money lining the pockets of the world politicians will show itself to be true. That includes Saudi Arabia but I have hope the new crown prince sees the future.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Now, you've gone and done it thethe.
    If anyone in the world needs prayer right now its the Iranian people. THe mullahs are about to come down real hard in the next few days.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

Julio, not sure I'm getting your points in this discussion. I know you like to chastise thethe and all but...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

thethe (01-01-2018)