Page 21 of 268 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Media

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Julio, not sure I'm getting your points in this discussion. I know you like to chastise thethe and all but...
    Its nonsensical. How are people not going all out to support this freedom fight? This somehow turned into a partisan issue. The only partisan aspect of this is an evaluation of the nuclear deal. Everything else should be about praying for human beings to earn their God given right of freedom.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-02-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    This is a fascinating story we all ought to be interested in. So much has been going on within Iran since even before the Green Revolution. Add in now the new regime in Saudi Arabia, coupled with the intense Arabic hatred of the Shia hardliners in Iran & dislike of Persians in general. And factor in the Trump decision to put the embassy in Jerusalem and the victories against ISIS. Lots going on here.

Hoping at the end of it all the people of Iran have greater freedom and are able to flourish!

I'd love to visit that beautiful country.
    Lots more than that, even. Botched coup in Lebanon, war in Yemen, gulf states knifing each other...

I think the only thing certain is that a lot of us hubristically assume we know what's coming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Lots more than that, even. Botched coup in Lebanon, war in Yemen, gulf states knifing each other...

I think the only thing certain is that a lot of us hubristically assume we know what's coming.
    I don't think anyone is claiming they know the future but people dying for their freedom is one of the most noble acts that can be performed. These people are sick of theocratic/dictator style rule where the riches of the nation go to all but the people. What many of us are doing is rooting for these protests to succeed because its clear that the world would be better with a free Iran. YOu basically take out th #1 state sponsor of terror and of the two largest terrorist groups out without even having to fire a shot from the west. Spectacular.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Sure, none of us are omniscient but when does that ever stop any of us from commenting and voicing opinions? And why would it cause any of us not to voice hopes that Iranians can know a better future? Just because Trump has made pro-protestor remarks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Sure, none of us are omniscient but when does that ever stop any of us from commenting and voicing opinions? And why would it cause any of us not to voice hopes that Iranians can know a better future? Just because Trump has made pro-protestor remarks?
    Its this coupled with the fact that these protests close the book on the Iran nuclear deal which was the crowing 'achievement' of Obamas second term. When you see how the money did not flow to the people coupled with how Obama completely stifled investigation into Hezbollah you really see what was going on and why many of us have been screaming at the top of our lungs for a long time.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I mean, I'm far from being a Trumpster, and believe you me I get how all of us can be manipulated into supporting this or that based on the propaganda of our "team," and yeah there are a lot of bad players in this world of geopolitics, but dang, this is still a hardline, Islamic-theocratic regime that's being protested.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-02-2018)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Just because Trump has made pro-protestor remarks?
    Yep. Trump derangement syndrome is sadly very real

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-02-2018), thethe (01-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I mean, I'm far from being a Trumpster, and believe you me I get how all of us can be manipulated into supporting this or that based on the propaganda of our "team," and yeah there are a lot of bad players in this world of geopolitics, but dang, this is still a hardline, Islamic-theocratic regime that's being protested.
    Exactly. It makes no sense how anybody but those that want to enslave humans can support this type of regime. I hope people find themselves on the right side of history soon.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    At least CNN got on the side of the government first

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yep. Trump derangement syndrome is sadly very real
    As the truth has come out the fervor of their dissent is devolving into childish emotional arguments. Hopefully the last stand until they realize all the good that is happening in our country as we move away from a disastrous 8 years.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    At least CNN got on the side of the government first
    This is what infuriates me the most. Your first presentation of the protests are of a 'pro-government' nature. Its disgraceful and its important to understand who truly owns these media corporations. Are they actually American institutions anymore?
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    And like ODS & BDS, the frenzied criticism dampens the effectiveness of legitimate criticism and enables the POTUS to actually fair better.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    And like ODS & BDS, the frenzied criticism dampens the effectiveness of legitimate criticism and enables the POTUS to actually fair better.
    Yep... idiots on the left don't understand that there are legit things to criticize, but as they focus on literally everything, the effectiveness of each criticism gets smaller and smaller

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Bush and Obama were legitimately terrible though. I wasn't as politically active under Bush as I am now but at that time I would have been a strong critic of him. Obamas legacy is showing that the critics were right.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    yup...I can live with a second revolution in Iran...unpredictable as the consequences might be
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Its nonsensical. How are people not going all out to support this freedom fight? This somehow turned into a partisan issue. The only partisan aspect of this is an evaluation of the nuclear deal. Everything else should be about praying for human beings to earn their God given right of freedom.
    Only to the extent that you've made it one.

These are your posts since 12/29 that are explicitly political or partisan:
    # 366 contrasts Trump’s response with that of “the Left”
    # 351 is about the nuclear deal
    # 349 is explicitly political
    #343 is “free the people of Iran from the scourge of Islam” . . . which may not be political per se, but is reflective of your worldview and is probably not a super-helpful sentiment here, fwiw
    #343 is about the nuclear deal, referring to Obama as “Hussein”
    #341 is hoping Israel and the US are aiding as much as possible, see comment on #343
    #340 is a rw activist contrasting an Iranian woman with a left activist
    #338 is abt the nuclear deal, says O sponsors terror, refers to Obama as “Hussein”
    #336 a shot at Obama
    #334 ditto
    #332 protests vindicate Trump
    #320 contrasts Trump w Obama
    #307 patting “a strong US” on the back for hypothetical change in Iran, cheap political point in context

I actually imagine that we have the same hopes for the people of Iran and elsewhere in the region (I include Palestine, but, er, I'm guessing you're not with me there). Frankly, it's mistaken--and more than a tad ****ty--of you to suggest otherwise. Ditto your insistence that you haven't been making it explicitly political from the jump.

I'm hoping for an end to theocracy and anti-democratic rule in Iran. I'm just not prepared to make "anything is better than _______" statements about the MENA region, because recent history shows the folly of that. And, yay democracy, but how did you feel about the elections that Egypt held post-Mubarak?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    How has this become about supporting or not supporting protest against the regime? I'm really perplexed. Who on this board has objected to that?
    Last edited by Julio3000; 01-01-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Yes the only partisan nature is to evaluate how awful the Obama administration handled Iran and how the free world has to step in and save the middle east and the world from their tyranny.

And of course it's going to take a long time to see true freedom for the people. We have taken step forward and back with Egypt. However, Iran is slightly different as a large portion of the population lived in a free society and obviously many more yearn to get back there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Yes the only partisan nature is to evaluate how awful the Obama administration handled Iran and how the free world has to step in and save the middle east and the world from their tyranny.

And of course it's going to take a long time to see true freedom for the people. We have taken step forward and back with Egypt. However, Iran is slightly different as a large portion of the population lived in a free society and obviously many more yearn to get back there.
    Yes, that's always gone well. Let's do more. Does that mean that Trumpistas are neocons now?