Page 15 of 268 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Media

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    No, ignorant media consumers is the enemy of the people
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    No, ignorant media consumers is the enemy of the people

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-06-2017)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    The DOJ is giving the shaft to CNN. Priceless

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    You're happy about the federal government abusing power over pettiness?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    You're happy about the federal government abusing power over pettiness?
    I'm happy about the DoJ not giving in, but not due to pettiness. I share Senator Blumenthal's concerns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I'm happy about the DoJ not giving in, but not due to pettiness. I share Senator Blumenthal's concerns

But this is a vertical integration - it doesn't consolidate power

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Honestly why are people OK with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Ah the things the media chooses to make up and then take issue with.

Here is what the media reported:
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...technique.html
    Trump just started his 12-day trip in Asia, which promises to be a difficult operation — and not just because one of the primary topics of discussion is North Korea’s nuclear ambitions. There are all sorts of protocol that foreign leaders are expected to adhere to when visiting the region. Some examples, from the AP:

When in Asia, make sure handshakes aren’t too long — or short. Don’t bobble names or titles. Stifle the critical tweets. Don’t question the food.
    Also, don’t overfeed the fish.

Trump became the latest U.S. president to display poor etiquette in Japan on Monday, when feeding the koi carp of Akasaka Palace with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. It is traditional for world leaders to stop and view the fish, and Trump was given a bowl of fish food and invited to join Abe in delicately spooning pellets to the fish. Eventually, Trump lost patience and dumped out the rest of his bowl, making Secretary of State Rex Tillerson chuckle.

Fish lovers on Twitter were appalled, since overfeeding can make koi sick. As The Guardian notes, it’s likely a palace employee was dispatched to remedy whatever issues were caused by Trump’s indelicate feeding technique. Still, some welcomed the opportunity to take a break from the horrifying news in recent days and indulge in fish puns and Trump jokes.

Honestly why are people OK with this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    But this is a vertical integration - it doesn't consolidate power
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/o...4&rref=opinion
    There are numerous political and free speech concerns that come when those who control “the pipes” that distribute content also control the programming and news operations. Companies that controlled both the distribution and production of news programs could have enough power to influence elections. In theory, the F.C.C. should intervene to prevent such abuses, but the current commission has shown zero interest in what was once called “the public interest.”

In short, there are good reasons for the Justice Department to be concerned about this merger. Yes, the department over the past two decades has allowed many mega-mergers or taken tepid steps to restrict them through consent decrees. But the department is capable of learning from its mistakes, and the consensus now is that consent decrees don’t work. Moreover, in recent years the department has blocked several big mergers, including between Comcast and Time Warner, Halliburton and Baker Hughes, and Anthem and Cigna. Tough scrutiny of an AT&T-Time Warner deal would continue that trend.

The bolded part above is what I find concerning. The cable and media companies disagree of course, claiming they have to do this to compete:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...-idUSKCN1C82J7
    Media content companies must get bigger to compete in the quickly changing media landscape, Shari Redstone, whose family controls Viacom Inc (VIAB.O) and CBS (CBS.N), told attendees of a luncheon on Tuesday at the Paley Center for Media in New York City.

Why would they need to do this in order to compete, if the competition also isn't able to do it?

The article ends ironically with Redstone pointing out what she sees as a good thing:
    “The media companies have an advantage when it comes to storytelling because we can figure out how do we want to tell our story among all these different platforms,” she said.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    it's crazy to see you and thethe become what you claimed you always hated
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    google will begin to de-rank Russian news sources like RY

https://www.rt.com/news/410444-googl...bet-derank-rt/

“Good to have Google on record as defying all logic and reason: facts aren’t allowed if they come from RT, ‘because Russia’ – even if we have Google on Congressional record saying they've found no manipulation of their platform or policy violations by RT,” Sputnik and RT Editor-in-Chief Margarita Simonyan said in a statement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...rge-soros.html

Allegedly unbiased Washington Post reporter Janell Ross spoke at a top-secret meeting of liberal influencers last week, where Democratic donors including billionaire George Soros outlined the future of the progressive agenda.

The group intended to keep “the identities of its members and guests confidential,” according to the Beacon, but the paper obtained a “detailed conference agenda that lists both events and featured guests.” Once the Beacon revealed the attendees, the group reportedly beefed up security and asked participants to keep details off social media.

One of the surprising guests was Ross, who used to pass as a somewhat-impartial reporter for the prestigious Post. While the paper’s slogan is, “Democracy Dies in Darkness,” she apparently wanted to keep her bosses in the dark about attending the liberal planning session and hanging out with prominent Democratic donors such as Soros.

According to the agenda published by the Beacon, Ross’ panel aimed to help the liberal attendees get “the economic narrative right" and was immediately followed by Democratic senator Amy Klobuchar (Minn.) speaking about on Russian interference in the 2016 election.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    'Unbiased' journalists/reporters at Liberal events funded by Soros? Who would have guessed....
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...e-media-215863

Basically what many of us have been saying for years. It'd undeniable

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...e-media-215863

Basically what many of us have been saying for years. It'd undeniable

Good piece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    It's funny to see thethe try to act like he wants unbiased media
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    It's funny to see thethe try to act like he wants unbiased media
    I'm the same guy who was a liberal for 24 years of my life. The same guy that voted for Obama in 2008. You think you know who I am which is cute. The media is a sham and is run by multinational power brokers to push an agenda and it's why I don't think there is much of a difference between them and Russia at this time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    cool story

don't see what it has to do with anything that i said about it being funny that you try to act like you want unbiased media

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Y'all mother****ers silent as **** on this though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So by definition were you silent about this until 5 minutes ago?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    shocker a person that posts misinformation of videos that gets spread by the likes in this thread and endorsed by the liar in chief was caught in a lie

Washington Post executive editor Marty Baron: “Because of our customary journalistic rigor, we weren’t fooled.”

Woman Tried to Dupe Washington Post With False Claim About Roy Moore, Paper Says

A woman with ties to a right-wing activist group falsely claimed to The Washington Post that she had conceived a child with Roy S. Moore, the Republican Senate candidate in Alabama, when she was 15, the newspaper reported on Monday afternoon.

The woman, identified by the paper as Jaime T. Phillips, claimed in recent interviews with reporters that she had an abortion after having sex with Mr. Moore in 1992. But The Post said that it had discovered inconsistencies in her account and evidence that the woman concocted the sensational claim to try to dupe reporters and coax them into discussing the political impact her story could have on Mr. Moore.

A reporter with The Post confronted the woman about the holes in her story on Wednesday and then Post journalists saw her on Monday morning entering the offices of Project Veritas, a conservative group that films undercover videos. The organization, led by the activist James O’Keefe, has recently targeted journalists, trying to goad them into revealing biases or unethical schemes to discredit the news media.

“The intent by Project Veritas clearly was to publicize the conversation if we fell for the trap,” Martin Baron, the executive editor at The Post, was quoted as saying. “Because of our customary journalistic rigor, we weren’t fooled.”

A reporter and a videographer with The Post questioned Mr. O’Keefe on Monday outside his group’s office in Mamaroneck, N.Y., about Ms. Phillips’s apparent connections with Project Veritas.

“I am not doing an interview right now, so I’m not going to say a word,” Mr. O’Keefe responded.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/27/u...smtyp=cur&_r=0