Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Trade Partners

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And Adams is projected to OPS around .750-.800 once his HR rate normalizes. Not sure they will be paying much for a minimal upgrade.

Instead of just nitpicking, how about adding to the discussion with your own thought? What do you think the Astros would give up for Adams?
    Bregman

Idk... just didn't see how their 1b was doing so "well"

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Interesting and fun

Who has more trade value: flowers or lucroy?

I think if the braves want a big piece they have 3 options outside of gym stupidity
    1. Package as suggested here
    2. Take back bad salary. What would we need to get from Boston to take panda?
    3. Package with another minor leaguer. I doubt this happens bc I've never seen such a deal. But what if we trade a piece now and a decent piece that is farther away for a piece that is more of a sure thing? Or if we trade a piece plus a guy like Dustin Peterson to upgrade Dustin Peterson?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    All the Mariners decent "prospects" are at the MLB level, and teams that fancy themselves contenders don't trade value away from their MLB roster.

The Twins do have an interesting AAA catcher named Mitch Garver.

If they think they can keep up with the Indians they might want Garcia, as you suggested. They have no need at 2B (.750), 1B (.785) or DH (.742 OPS) unfortunately. There is no way Garcia plus a BP arm is going to get the Braves a prospect like Garver.
    The Twins' prospect that intrigues me a bit is Lamonte Wade. 23-year-old LHH OF. Has been playing some CF, but is probably primarily a 4th OF who plays the corners better. Pretty good on-base skills. 2015 draft pick who is currently in AA. Not showing a lot of power there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Bregman

Idk... just didn't see how their 1b was doing so "well"
    So you were just nit picking rather than contributing an actual idea.

You think the Astros are going to be interested in upgrading very marginally from Gurriel to Adams, but offer no other contributions. Thanks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The Twins' prospect that intrigues me a bit is Lamonte Wade. 23-year-old LHH OF. Has been playing some CF, but is probably primarily a 4th OF who plays the corners better. Pretty good on-base skills. 2015 draft pick who is currently in AA. Not showing a lot of power there.
    Wade is the type of 40 FV guy I am hoping the Braves avoid acquiring for 1 trade piece. The point of this post was to identify possible teams that need a package of guys from the Braves, and could be willing to part with a better prospect than the 40 FV fodder the Braves gave up for those pieces earlier this year.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Wade is the type of 40 FV guy I am hoping the Braves avoid acquiring for 1 trade piece. The point of this post was to identify possible teams that need a package of guys from the Braves, and could be willing to part with a better prospect than the 40 FV fodder the Braves gave up for those pieces earlier this year.
    You've been trying to make the point that the Braves won't get much for what they have to offer and I can't see how a package can be constructed to get anyone at 50 FV or above.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    You've been trying to make the point that the Braves won't get much for what they have to offer and I can't see how a package can be constructed to get anyone at 50 FV or above.
    It would have to be a borderline 45/50 guy.

I'm sure it's wishful thinking, but I don't think it's interesting to talk about FV 40 fodder they are likely to get as they deal them off 1 at a time.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I think Garrett Stubbs would be an interesting target from the Astros. #11 in their prospect list according to MLB.com with 50 FV, he's having a down year after making the jump to AA at age 24, but he's getting hurt by a BABIP of .265 and a depressed HR/FB of 6.3%, below his career average. Defense gets very good reviews. He'll never be McCann at the plate, but I've followed him since he was drafted and I think he would be a very good primary target for a combo of Adams + Garcia.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    It would have to be a borderline 45/50 guy.

I'm sure it's wishful thinking, but I don't think it's interesting to talk about FV 40 fodder they are likely to get as they deal them off 1 at a time.
    I agree. I was just trying to throw out what I think is likely. I'm guessing Garcia will go to the highest bidder because they won't forward him a qualifying offer. There likely isn't much of a market for Phillips. May be some market for Vizcaino and Johnson, but I don't think we'd be looking at big return there either.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    I think Garrett Stubbs would be an interesting target from the Astros. #11 in their prospect list according to MLB.com with 50 FV, he's having a down year after making the jump to AA at age 24, but he's getting hurt by a BABIP of .265 and a depressed HR/FB of 6.3%, below his career average. Defense gets very good reviews. He'll never be McCann at the plate, but I've followed him since he was drafted and I think he would be a very good primary target for a combo of Adams + Garcia.
    FG has him as a high FV 40 guy and I would hope for more in return for an Adams plus Garcia package. Definitely an interesting guy to target though.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    FG has him as a high FV 40 guy and I would hope for more in return for an Adams plus Garcia package. Definitely an interesting guy to target though.
    I think the move I would want to see would be Garcia + Adams for Garrett Stubbs, Colin Moran, and hopefully a low A-ish flyer like maybe Jorge Alcala. Gives us a potentially good C target on a down year, a guy with HEAVY prospect fatigue that's played well at AAA but is completely blocked and is probably approaching "change of scenery" status, and then a lottery ticket that I'd hope our scouts could take a good shot on. So something like a couple 40-45 FV guys with a chance for more and a lottery ticket. In my head that seems reasonable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    Teams are going to be more willing to give up a better prospect the lower in the minors they are. Pache and Wentz are definitely the type of prospects I think we could get because they are 3-4 years away.

Ideal situation is to get teams bidding against each other. Some teams might be willing to overpay if it prevents a trade to a team they see as their primary rival for a playoff spot. I think we can add a theoretical premium of 20% at the trade deadline just based on mid season leverage. In The off-season teams have free agent options. The braves could also look for prospects they think are undervalued.

I think we should be open to keeping Garcia and giving him a qualifying offer. Worst case we get him for 1 more year at a little bit of an overpay. I don't keep up with the wars but I am sure a 1 war player is probably worth about 15 million to the Yankees which is what people consider market value.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Thank god you were not running the '91 Braves. You would traded half the team at the ASB.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-20-2017), Knucksie (06-23-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    MLB trade rumors had an article on what the braves are selling yesterday. As a fan it was bleak

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Thank god you were not running the '91 Braves. You would traded half the team at the ASB.
    True, the '91 Braves and the current Braves are definitely the same situation.

That was a very well thought out contribution to the discussion, thank you.

Isn't there some NASCAR on TV that you should be watching?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    MLB trade rumors had an article on what the braves are selling yesterday. As a fan it was bleak
    They said almost exactly what I have said. Guess they hate the Braves too haha.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Teams are going to be more willing to give up a better prospect the lower in the minors they are. Pache and Wentz are definitely the type of prospects I think we could get because they are 3-4 years away.

Ideal situation is to get teams bidding against each other. Some teams might be willing to overpay if it prevents a trade to a team they see as their primary rival for a playoff spot. I think we can add a theoretical premium of 20% at the trade deadline just based on mid season leverage. In The off-season teams have free agent options. The braves could also look for prospects they think are undervalued.

I think we should be open to keeping Garcia and giving him a qualifying offer. Worst case we get him for 1 more year at a little bit of an overpay. I don't keep up with the wars but I am sure a 1 war player is probably worth about 15 million to the Yankees which is what people consider market value.
    You think the Braves have anything to sell that any teams are going to bid against each other to acquire?

The assets the Braves have to sell are the ones contenders will settle for when the really good players being traded have been settled.

But I'll mark you down as a guy that thinks the Braves can get a young 50 FV guy for one of their trade pieces.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I think you have to package if you want quality instead of quantity

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Enscheff's ex girlfriend just told me the exact same thing.. funny.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    My stance overall:

Suzuki, Garcia and BP need to go no matter what, so even some 40 FV fodder is fine for them as a return.

Adams, Viz, JJ, and Flowers have value next year, so don't trade them unless a team is willing to give up a legit high-45/low-50 FV guy for a package including 2-3 of them plus Garcia and/or BP.

Having said that, I fully expect the Braves to be welcoming 2-3 more Gants and Whalens to the organization by August 1.